Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragoncorgis View Post
Is Wesley a blue BC? I didn't know they came in that color, but then I don't know much about the breed anyway. I do agree with the discrimination toward color though. If it doesn't cause any health problems (you know, like double merles) then what's the big deal with disqualifying colors? I would die for a blue PWC (they call them blueies) but they are considered a very serious fault and though I haven't looked into them a great deal, I'm pretty sure it only has to do with color. The color of the coat also comes with lighter eyes and eye rims, nose, etc and that's a no no. Who frickin cares as long as it's healthy and can do it's job?
Yes, Wesley is a Blue (dilute black) although he is a pretty dark shade. His eyes are dusty grey (exactly the same color of his coat) and I guess some people argue that grey eyes is a result of insufficient pigment and should be bred away from. I can't win apparently. Fiona and Wesley are from the same breeders, and I chose to get Wesley because Fiona has such an amazing temperament (seriously). Wesley has lived up to all my expectations and more in his temperament and structure... we will get him on sheep when the snow has died down and he's a little bigger, although he has been out to watch Sadie work to get his gears turning.

Personally, I think its all a little ridiculous. To say that a brown eyed, classically marked black and white Border Collie with no measurable herding instinct should be bred from, while a split-faced, blue-eyed Border Collie who has a ton of eye and works perfectly well shouldn't be... its silly. Boo on them.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Top Dog

Border collie politics are pretty intense.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Border collie politics are pretty intense.
Yeah... while this election is going on I'm sitting here like "Did you see the debates last night?" (response) "Yeah, Romney/Obama totally won" me: "What? I meant the debate about whether or not the herding instinct test at the national was judged fairly... what are YOU talking about?"

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Top Dog

Hmmm..merely curious..considering Border Collies are a bit infamous for their eye on stock...is there any difference in herding abilities between blue and brown eyed dogs??

Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Hmmm..merely curious..considering Border Collies are a bit infamous for their eye on stock...is there any difference in herding abilities between blue and brown eyed dogs??
Not really. Fiona has a ton of eye, and hasn't had any problems with control or pressure. Most working bred BCs tend to have a lighter eye (yellow/light amber), because dogs with super dark eyes (the type that are so common in the show ring) have been widely regarded as less effective on stock.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Not really. Fiona has a ton of eye, and hasn't had any problems with control or pressure. Most working bred BCs tend to have a lighter eye (yellow/light amber), because dogs with super dark eyes (the type that are so common in the show ring) have been widely regarded as less effective on stock.
I tend to think of the lighter eye as being typical for BCs. I'd imagine the darker eye is only popular for show because it's preferred in so many breeds. And I don't think it necessarily has to do with pigment. I've seen dogs with strong pigment and light eyes.

I like dark eyes in my own breed, but they aren't bred to control stock via staring at it.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
No. Let's look at is this way. We assume animals can't see in color, correct? So eye color doesn't matter.

Even more so, the only people who say merles cannot herd at all would have to be ones who are not active in the herding world, so therefore, their claim = invalid.

Dunno, I've never liked all the bickering back and forth in the breed. Just go work your dog and let that speak for itself.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Resident fainting goat

I can only imagine.
I joined the BCboard for about...37 seconds. LOL It was a little too intense for me.

"Oh hi, my name is Bob and I'm considering getting a border collie puppy this summer"
"RELEASE THE KRAKEN!! SHOW BREEDERS ARE EVIL!!"
"WORKING BREEDERS!!"
"RUINING THE BREED!"
"umm.. I found a responsible breeder but she works within the AKC.."
"THIS IS SPARTA!!"
"DISHONOR ON YOU! DISHONOR ON YOUR COW!!"
"YOU ARE AN ANTICHRIST!"

It's like jesus everyone calm down!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm All Ears

Elegy, you coulda probably passed Bean off as a piebald but then you had to go and tape the ears. Tsk tsk. You should just send him to me now. That'll solve everything.

No I am not just trying to steal your dog, I swear.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
No. Let's look at is this way. We assume animals can't see in color, correct? So eye color doesn't matter.
Well, even if an animal can only see in greyscale they'll still be able to distinguish a light (blue) eye from a dark (brown) one. Plus I think the working theory is that most animals have the ability to see some range of colour, just perhaps not the reds/greens that we can see. (Then there are animals who can see beyond our visible spectrum too.)

I would agree that eye colour won't much matter on a quality working dog, but I think that the colour blind argument is probably moot.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog