Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Are you dead yet?

Echoing xxxpoo's suggestion for a treadmill. At a show awhile back I met a woman with Staffy Bulls who has to keep them in tip-top shape for the show ring, but she is handicapped and can't take them on long hikes or let them run free in fields. (Heh, no fields around here!) She has a doggie exercise room where she has 4 treadmills that she's rigged with a double-leashing system to keep the dog from running all around the sides of the mill, and with a little creative thinking she's got the emergency stop-key thingy hooked to their collars so that if they have to stop for some reason, they won't be injured. The dogs love it and they're in awesome condition. It's not ideal, of course, but while you can't exercise with him it would be a decent option to keep him in shape.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Too bad you don't live about 1.5hours farther east....I would walk him for you and he could play with my Sal and Athena.

I echo the treadmill idea, I know people who swear by them for dogs but I have never tried it myself.

If you are looking for low impact try getting a horse water tank that is deep enough and fill it up in your garage or basement. Use a life vest (for dogs) and a harness to hold him up while he swims the pounds off
Old 01-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

Wow how do you put a dog on a treadmill?

Mojozen, I sympathize, I have asthma also and it makes it really hard to walk the dogs at times. I'm lucky to have a back yard though.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:12 PM
bullie lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer
Too bad you don't live about 1.5hours farther east....I would walk him for you and he could play with my Sal and Athena.

I echo the treadmill idea, I know people who swear by them for dogs but I have never tried it myself.

If you are looking for low impact try getting a horse water tank that is deep enough and fill it up in your garage or basement. Use a life vest (for dogs) and a harness to hold him up while he swims the pounds off
I saw that you lived in the Milwaukee area. It's a shame we don't live closer... Mojo would love to have more friends.

I will remember the water tank idea for when my parents finish remodeling their house this year. Once that is done, and the back yard is safe again, I will be asking if I can use their yard more often as a play area for Mojo. I will remember your idea about the pool... funny thing is, my dad still has water troughs for horses back on his farm in MI. I shall have to see if he'd be willing to bring one out with him when the house is done.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:15 PM
bullie lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
Wow how do you put a dog on a treadmill?

Mojozen, I sympathize, I have asthma also and it makes it really hard to walk the dogs at times. I'm lucky to have a back yard though.
I've seen it done, but i haven't done it with Mojo yet. I know you first have to get them used to standing on the treadmill when it's off and then if it's an electric one you start it off at a really slow speed... then over time increase the speed.

What I really wanted to get was a custom built dog treadmill for that is not electric and are all dog powered. However, they are at least $500 on the low end, and at this time I don't have $500 lying around my apartment.

It shall have to remain a wish for now.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:17 PM
bullie lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxpoo
Buy a cheap used treadmill
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD
Echoing xxxpoo's suggestion for a treadmill. At a show awhile back I met a woman with Staffy Bulls who has to keep them in tip-top shape for the show ring, but she is handicapped and can't take them on long hikes or let them run free in fields. (Heh, no fields around here!) She has a doggie exercise room where she has 4 treadmills that she's rigged with a double-leashing system to keep the dog from running all around the sides of the mill, and with a little creative thinking she's got the emergency stop-key thingy hooked to their collars so that if they have to stop for some reason, they won't be injured. The dogs love it and they're in awesome condition. It's not ideal, of course, but while you can't exercise with him it would be a decent option to keep him in shape.
I have thought about getting a treadmill for mojo (and myself!) but have not seriously looked into it. I shall start keeping my eyes open for one on the freecycle list and/or classifieds... it really is a good idea. Thank you xxxpoo and rd!