Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
It's kinda expensive though. My mom paid half of it for me because I used everything I learned to work with her and Georgie, I dunno that I would have taken it if I wasn't getting the fee split. I do think it's worth it, I just don't have money. =P
I so want to do it. I've heard nothing but good things about it but I just can't afford it. I'm supposed to be saving money.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

I wish I had money for it. ): Right now financially, I'm stuck.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Baloo is doing pretty good with the "it's yer choice". However, a common issue I'm having with him is he is losing interest. He's only done it a couple times, but I have to call him back to me, and I feel like I shouldn't do that. He sees that my hand is closed, nuzzles it a lot, sees I open it when he backs off, dives again, I close my hand, and then he just walks off. Lol. Like "screw this, I don't have to take this!". Lol. I call him back and we try the game again. Should I not be calling him? We are in the living room, so it's not big and I know he will eventually wander back if I just sit there... So should I just wait for him instead of calling him back to me?

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

....are you rewarding him for backing off?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

Yes, but sometimes he doesn't stick around long enough for the reward. He just leaves. Lol.

But I just did another session with him and he did AWESOME. He stuck around, and by the end of the session, he was looking at me and not the open hand of treats and he wasn't jumping for the treats anymore.

I'm proud.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:50 PM
such sights to show you

If he doesn't want the food as a reward, you could always do something else like a couple throws of a ball (or whatever game/toy he likes).

Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Baloo is doing pretty good with the "it's yer choice". However, a common issue I'm having with him is he is losing interest. He's only done it a couple times, but I have to call him back to me, and I feel like I shouldn't do that. He sees that my hand is closed, nuzzles it a lot, sees I open it when he backs off, dives again, I close my hand, and then he just walks off. Lol. Like "screw this, I don't have to take this!". Lol. I call him back and we try the game again. Should I not be calling him? We are in the living room, so it's not big and I know he will eventually wander back if I just sit there... So should I just wait for him instead of calling him back to me?
Don't play in the living room, play somewhere small and closed in and boring. The bathroom is a great option. If you have a hallway you can close off to other rooms, play there.
Be careful opening when he "backs off" that you don't inadvertently reward (opening your hand to show the cookie is rewarding) him for literally backing away from you physically.
No, I would not call him back to you. If he walks away I would give him some time to come back - maybe 60 seconds max - and if he doesn't, then end the game - then try it again a while later but use higher value rewards. Cheese or meat. If he's not highly food motivated to begin with, you need to be make the food more motivating. Some dogs can play for their kibble and some dogs need something more. And some dogs just have different preferences... what is very rewarding to one dog may be boring to another.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I'm lucky for buddy ANY food is the best hint ever since he's a total hog lol . What about using a leash & having it by your feet & if he tries to leave discretely step on it maybe? That's all I got lol.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

We have been using hotdogs. My living room is fairly boring and open... I don't have any furniture. Just a carpet. Chevelle's kennel is in the bathroom.

He has greatly improved. By the end of today, I was able to dump a cup of hotdogs in front of him, and he would look at me. I'm really shocked and proud of him.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

That's awesome to hear! I applaud your stubbornness in a world where if a dog isn't "the perfect dog" they dump them off . Baloo is lucky to have someone as deticstes as you