Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
*cough*bikejoring*cough*
Had to Google that. Lol. Looks pretty cool.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

I strongly suggest using something like a "Walky dog" device on your bicycle vs. holding the leash in hand, or letting him run ahead. Unless he's trained to do bike-joring in which case he learned certain cues and directionals to deter him from distractions.

I really like the Walky dog, that's the one I use and it's fairly priced and easily detachable.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Can you attach those to any bikes? I only have a mnt bike but in a week we'll have 4 dogs in an apartment and I've been considering biking.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

Yikes. That one kinda scares me because if they yank, they can just send me flying. I have been thinking about getting something like that, though.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 PM
such sights to show you

Squash pulled the cord of our Walky Dog right out of the bar after using it only two or three times. It wasn't even while we were actually biking, it was when we were standing stopped and he just sort of jumped sideways. I like the Springer attachment better, personally.

Or teach him to bikejor. Training the commands can be some good mental exercise for him on walks until you actually put him in front of a bike. I highly recommend "Ski Spot Run" although it is written for skijorers, the advice on training commands is good for whatever urban mushing sport you prefer.

ETA: Adrianne, both of the bike attachments look to me like they will pretty much fit anything. They attach to the vertical bar under the seat so the type of bike doesn't seem to matter to my not-an-expert-on-bikes eye.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

I have the Springer attachment on my Mtn bike. I used it with Meg a few times, although she hated it so much I stopped. I was going to start trying it with Gusto now that he's almost 18 months, but my tire is dead.

It worked great though - I put the clip on a harness, and had her leash attached to her collar in my hand as back up.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

Tried taking Baloo to Petco today to buy the clicker. That was a disaster. Lol. Oh well, I got the clicker and several packs of hot dogs so we as going to crack down.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

On the contrary, holding the leash in your hand while biking is super dangerous. If the pulling is from under your seat, it's very difficult to throw you off balance, and it cannot affect your steering ability. All of the bicycle attachments have springs so that the shock of the pulling is absorbed, you can hardly feel it.

The springer is the best one I have found, but it was way out of my price range (upwards of $125 when I was shopping) and I've had the Walky dog ($35) for 3 years and have used it probably close to 100 times, with zero issues. But now, Sassafras, I've probably jinxed myself LOL!!

AdrianneIsabel, I use mine on a mountain bike, you can really put it on a few different places on the bike, but I think it's meant to be placed on the bar that is attached to your bike seat that slides up and down to adjust.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Thanks!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Top Dog

If he's toy motivated, you could try to find a toy he likes a lot and use it as his super special only when training around other dogs and focusing on you toy.

That's what we used a cuz toy for with Milo. It was the only thing he thought was as high-value as screaming like a looney bin at other dogs.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com