Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
It shouldn't even be an opinion it is a rule. You screw up its not just your dog that pays it's everyone's dog that does and the breed's already fragile reputation is hurt even more and more BSL might follow after your dog hurts or kills another dog, all because you say its an opinion. I own a bully breed mix myself and bothers me you see no problem with it and continue to do so.
But I don't frankly care if it bothers you... I know my dogs and you don't and I disagree with your opinion that you consider "rule". My pure bred APBT has absolutely no prey drive or aggression towards animals whatsoever.... So should I punish her and keep her from something she enjoys just because of her breed? Sorry, but I'm not going to do that to her. There's a difference between someone with no knowledge of the breed taking their pit bull to the dog park and someone like myself, who does have knowledge of dog body language and pit bull behavior, taking her dogs to the dog park. And as I said... My dog park isn't a "dozens of dogs running all over the place and uncontrolled" type of dog park. It's a web of friends. Not a very big web, either. I am responsible with my dogs, and there is a vast difference between that and someone who is not. I'm not going to lock my dog in a closet just because she is a pit bull. You wanna do that to yours? You go right on ahead. By all means... Keep your bully breed away from other dogs, strange people, children... Go for it! All for the sake of "safety". It's an extreme opinion. My dog is actually helping the breeds reputation... She is showing dog park visitors that not all pit bulls have that "vicious" stereotype... So I encourage all responsible owners who know their pit bull to take them to the dog park and change a few minds.

Also, I don't really think you have a lot of room to judge anyone else...
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Muttkip's Avatar
Muttkip Muttkip is offline
LABRADERP!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jefferson, Ga
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
But I don't frankly care if it bothers you... I know my dogs and you don't and I disagree with your opinion that you consider "rule". My pure bred APBT has absolutely no prey drive or aggression towards animals whatsoever.... So should I punish her and keep her from something she enjoys just because of her breed? Sorry, but I'm not going to do that to her. There's a difference between someone with no knowledge of the breed taking their pit bull to the dog park and someone like myself, who does have knowledge of dog body language and pit bull behavior, taking her dogs to the dog park. And as I said... My dog park isn't a "dozens of dogs running all over the place and uncontrolled" type of dog park. It's a web of friends. Not a very big web, either. I am responsible with my dogs, and there is a vast difference between that and someone who is not. I'm not going to lock my dog in a closet just because she is a pit bull. You wanna do that to yours? You go right on ahead.

Also, I don't really think you have a lot of room to judge anyone else...
I might not have a lot of room to judge but neither do you, the dog park isn't worth the risk and all it does take is one is one mistake and it hams not only your dog, but my dog as well.
__________________
Team Gunslinger
Rockin' the dock with Dixie Dock Dogs!
Gunslinger's Wanted Dead or Alive JJ-R "The Outlaw"
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

On a side note, I don't want this thread to turn into a shitstorm for why certain people think dog parks are horrible for bully breeds. That's not why I posted this.

If you have helpful information for techniques to control reactivity, please contribute. Thanks.
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Muttkip's Avatar
Muttkip Muttkip is offline
LABRADERP!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jefferson, Ga
Posts: 691
Default

Also let's s show the idiots of the John q public that it's not in the genes at all for them to be dog aggressive and animal aggressive. Cause you know its all in how you raise them and the dog park is a great place to show that!!!!
__________________
Team Gunslinger
Rockin' the dock with Dixie Dock Dogs!
Gunslinger's Wanted Dead or Alive JJ-R "The Outlaw"
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 AM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
I might not have a lot of room to judge but neither do you, the dog park isn't worth the risk and all it does take is one is one mistake and it hams not only your dog, but my dog as well.
Once again, these are for people who do not know their dogs and for packed dog parks. If my dog park was like this:



I wouldn't go. But like I said, it's not like that. My dog park consists of a Husky named Blizzard (owned by Jenny), two mutts named Mollie and Lucie (owned by Kim), a wolf hybrid named Fey (owned by Jerry), a mutt named Zoey (owned by Kory), and a Mastiff named Mudge (owned by Katelin). Every other day we get Woodstock the Aussie (owned by Luke), Dezel the mutt (owned by Sarah), and Luna the GSD (owned by Mark). Once a week we will see Duke the Rottweiler (owned by Mary), Biscuit the pit bull (owned by Carrie), Gator the golden retreiver (owned by Suzanne), and Jackson the golden retreiver (owned by Suzanne). There's also a Yorkie, chihuahua mix, and two other dachshunds that come that I don't remember the owners names, but we talk often. We are all great friends. It's not an uncontrolled environment.

And I never judged you. I was simply stating.

I also disagree with the idea that pit bulls are likely to be prone to dog aggression. While I do agree that it is an instinctual trait, it's been watered down and it's not as common as a lot of the extremists would have you think.

EDIT: there's also a Cane Corso pup that has been coming recently. Cute little thing.
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 AM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
Also let's s show the idiots of the John q public that it's not in the genes at all for them to be dog aggressive and animal aggressive. Cause you know its all in how you raise them and the dog park is a great place to show that!!!!
That doesn't even make any sense. So, I shouldn't bring my non-dog aggressive pit bull to the dog park because people should only see them as animal aggressive? Huh? Yeah, great idea.
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

Back to the topic, I have decided to keep Baloo from the park until the reactivity issues can be sorted out.
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 AM
TahlzK TahlzK is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia, QLD
Posts: 470
Default

That's so sad to hear about his reactive issues I hope they get sorted out soon.

Does Chevelle/Penny still get to enjoy the park?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 AM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahlzK View Post
That's so sad to hear about his reactive issues I hope they get sorted out soon.

Does Chevelle/Penny still get to enjoy the park?
Of course!
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 AM
TahlzK TahlzK is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia, QLD
Posts: 470
Default

Good! I bet they are loving it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site