Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-16-2006, 10:58 PM
rottiegirl

Exclamation Is this possible? Miracle puppies...

I was just browsing the net when I found this ad.... Miracle puppies FREE to good home (one per family please). 8 weeks old. 4 Males, 4 Females. Father is 180 pound English mastiff. Mother is 2 pound teacup chihuahua. These puppies have giant heads and tiny bodies. Very Loving animals. Grey and white.... So is it really possible to have a 180 pound father and a 2 pound mother? It sounds crazy!
Old 01-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Twin 2.0

Nope. For clarification, they won't let a 5 lb yorkie breed to a 3 pound female, but they'll do the other way around, simply because of mechanics and potential birthing issues.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Yeah I just don't see how that would work out.............
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 01-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

Absolutely now ay.

I do know a female papillon that had a shar pei pup. The pup was almost as big as her in a week.And only one pup,she never could have fit more. They just thought she was getting bigger because if the food they switched her too

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce
Absolutely now ay.

I do know a female papillon that had a shar pei pup. The pup was almost as big as her in a week.And only one pup,she never could have fit more. They just thought she was getting bigger because if the food they switched her too
wow that is crazy
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 01-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Quigleyfied

with a mastiff dam and a chi sire i'd have said unlikely, but possible. the other way around, hardly. first of all there are anatomical incompatibilities *cough* that wouldn't let such a big male impregnate a tiny female in a natural mating, and second it's unlikely that even if it did happen, the mother survived the pregnancy, let alone birth.

it's sad that people have to think up crap like that in order to find new homes for their puppies.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:13 AM
Top Dog

It's just a gimick to sell the pups.

I suppose it could be done with AI, but, why would someone go through the time and trouble and think of the possible genetic defects and hardship on the bitch. The Bullmastiff was created by crossbreeding Old English Mastiff's with Bulldog's a bit of a size difference.

Quote:
It's amazing to think that within the dog family from the largest wolf to the 35lb border collie have the same size/shape pups. Wheather a Saint Bernard or a Coyote, pups average around 3 quarters of a pound (of course, there are always exceptions, and toy breeds do have smaller pups. But the difference in pup size are not as great as the differences in adult size. Often, differences in pup size are the result of how much energy the female can invest in the litter, rather than genetic differences.
This is a quote from biologist Raymond Coppinger who has been studying the Candid family for many years.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

Or they used some frozen sperm

But either way, they are free, so it's not for money. Maybe it's just a scam like the golden retriever pups thing... 4 males and 4 females? It's a bit handy.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:53 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
I suppose it could be done with AI, but, why would someone go through the time and trouble and think of the possible genetic defects and hardship on the bitch. The Bullmastiff was created by crossbreeding Old English Mastiff's with Bulldog's a bit of a size difference.
Bulldogs were a lot taller and bigger back when the bullmastiff was created. I just cant see a 180 pound father and a 2 pound mother.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:05 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

No not possible. Well I mean its possible but the mother would NEVER survive. When my mom was a child they had a cocker spaniel. She was impregnated by a loose st bernard. She passed away.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney