Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Actually, if it hurts something is wrong...it should NOT hurt. If it hurts, get a LC to help, check the latch, check tongue tie, etc...it should not hurt.
We learned this at our birth class this past weekend. I'm thankful we have some great resources locally that support breast feeding so I know where to go and who to call if I need help now.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I agree that moral support and encouraging mothers is the best course of action but I've also seen where there comes a time where someone needs to hear "it's OK if you need to stop". Moms guilt themselves so badly that we sacrifice our own well being for something that's not going to be detrimental to our childrens well being in the long run. Mommy guilt is a powerful thing. I almost had myself in tears because I didn't send Hannah to gym class at the co op with a snack and I felt terrible even though she didn't even CARE lol. Sometimes you just need someone to say "hey, it's ok. We all mess up"

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
PSD Partner

Each mothers breast feeding journey is different. I will always have to do both on the breast and pumping. Reason being is for some reason, with all 3 of my kids by 4 months I was drying up and they were losing weight. And it was not because of them not getting time to suck. My doctor never figured out the cause. So I always have to take meds that help keep my supply up and I always pump after each feeding to not just keep my supply up and increasing but also to be able to visually see if it starts to deplete. Plus it helps me to have an emergency stash in the freezer then if I do start to dry up so that I don't have to suppliment with formula.

Nico might have an issue with latching because of his cleft so I have already pumped 5 ounces that are in the freezer for when he is born. If he can't latch he can have that while I pump so he doesn't have to do formula or wait for the pumped milk. I am determined to breast feed till he is 2 or 3. But I can't do it on the breast after he gets his teeth in. Too much risk. So I will be exclusively pumping and bottle feeding at that point.

Each persons journey is different when it comes to breast feeding and no one should be made to feel guilty for the path that journey takes them on.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

As far as breastfeeding - yes, maybe actually having the baby nurse shouldn't hurt - but I've never heard testimony of any breastfeeding mom who didn't have at some point painfully dry, cracked, chapped, etc. nipples from it or just incredibly sore boobs.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
As far as breastfeeding - yes, maybe actually having the baby nurse shouldn't hurt - but I've never heard testimony of any breastfeeding mom who didn't have at some point painfully dry, cracked, chapped, etc. nipples from it or just incredibly sore boobs.
I didnt. There were times where i did get a bit chapped or dry but it was not painful, not really even sore.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 PM
We are Home.

Savannah I was sore at first but she went from a bottle to breast so we had some issues.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Let it be

I know lots of breastfeeding mamas who had little to no issue. Im actually the only one that has suffered t his badly I know in person
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I know lots of breastfeeding mamas who had little to no issue. Im actually the only one that has suffered t his badly I know in person
((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) You are one tough mama <3

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Stinky Butt

I have never had any issues with breastfeeding, and nursed both of my children well past their first birthdays. I went 17 months with Devin and am currently nursing Coop still once a day at 16 months. He is going to wean any day now.

I think it really depends on the mother, the child and the support system you have. Some woman have low supply, others have a child with a bad latch, I always had oversupply issues which causes it's own set of issues. It can be easy to want to throw in the towel. I think by the time each of my kids were about 6 weeks old, I had a good groove going and knew we would make it.

Nursing has been one of my very favorite and very satisfiying bonding experiences with both of my children.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

Well then apparently women in my family just suck at breastfeeding, because I heard A LOT of complaining about how painful and difficult it was.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com