Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

CUTE. You look great! I can't believe you're 31 weeks - is it scary? I go back and forth between freaking out that I'm already at 23 weeks and telling myself that there's plenty of time left to do the multitude of things we haven't even thought of. (Like names. We have NO names.)

And yeah I'm probably not *that* big but I keep running into things. And I almost got stuck trying to fit through a space I was sure I should fit through the other day. Matt laughed at me. A lot.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Not a mom-to-be...just wanted to say I'm really happy for you guys. The amount of joy (even nervous joy!) in this thread is wonderful to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
I get a year off for maternity leave so I don't have to think about daycare for a while...
I really wish the U.S. would catch up on this. Knowing that 6 weeks after having a baby they would be spending most of their time with a sitter while I was at work or traveling for work is a significant reason that I am hesitant to have children... :/

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Not a mom-to-be...just wanted to say I'm really happy for you guys. The amount of joy (even nervous joy!) in this thread is wonderful to see

I really wish the U.S. would catch up on this. Knowing that 6 weeks after having a baby they would be spending most of their time with a sitter while I was at work or traveling for work is a significant reason that I am hesitant to have children... :/
You only get 6 weeks??? Does the father get time off/does it cut into that then?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yeah. I get 12 weeks with 6-8 of it paid. If I knew I was only getting 6 weeks we probably would have waited until I could either quit working (which I think would make me crazy after six months or so) or got a different job with better leave policies. The US sucks for maternity/paternity leave.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
CUTE. You look great! I can't believe you're 31 weeks - is it scary? I go back and forth between freaking out that I'm already at 23 weeks and telling myself that there's plenty of time left to do the multitude of things we haven't even thought of. (Like names. We have NO names.)

And yeah I'm probably not *that* big but I keep running into things. And I almost got stuck trying to fit through a space I was sure I should fit through the other day. Matt laughed at me. A lot.
It's starting to sink in more and more - still a little weird/scary to think about but at the same time, this is when you start getting really uncomfortable so I think by the time my due date rolls around I will be ready to just get her out already LOL

Oh yeah it's funny when you instinctively turn sideways to try and fit through somewhere and then you realize you're bigger that way then you are just walking straight

Quote:

Thanks 6 weeks is not nearly long enough, I can't imagine... The US definitely needs to catch up!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Yeah the six weeks is all that's paid. We can take another six off but that is unpaid.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It's starting to sink in more and more - still a little weird/scary to think about but at the same time, this is when you start getting really uncomfortable so I think by the time my due date rolls around I will be ready to just get her out already LOL
Lol yeah I could see that! I have my first chiropractor appointment tonight, I'm really hoping they can fix my hip issues so I can be somewhat comfortable again (at least for awhile). Unsurprisingly, ignoring the problem for the last 12 or so weeks has not worked.

Quote:
Oh yeah it's funny when you instinctively turn sideways to try and fit through somewhere and then you realize you're bigger that way then you are just walking straight
It was in the fabric store. I almost knocked over a display case. LOL.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 PM
& the Muttly Crew

In the U.S., women who give birth to or adopt a child are guaranteed the option of taking 12 weeks unpaid leave provided you've worked for your employer at least a year and you give 30 days notice.

Employers are not legally obligated to offer pay for any of that, or offer fathers anything at all.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Lol yeah I could see that! I have my first chiropractor appointment tonight, I'm really hoping they can fix my hip issues so I can be somewhat comfortable again (at least for awhile). Unsurprisingly, ignoring the problem for the last 12 or so weeks has not worked.
I hope it helps! I've been seeing one regularly, but I was also seeing them regularly before I got pregnant since my hips are always tight as it is. So, being pregnant has just enhanced my issues

~Aura & Riley~
Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
In the U.S., women who give birth to or adopt a child are guaranteed the option of taking 12 weeks unpaid leave provided you've worked for your employer at least a year and you give 30 days notice.

Employers are not legally obligated to offer pay for any of that, or offer fathers anything at all.
I think there's a minimum hour requirement too - I want to say that only full time employees are eligible for FMLA. Last time I looked, fathers/significant others have the option of 12 weeks unpaid for a birth or adoption as well.

And after thinking about your first post, nervous joy is exactly the right way to describe this whole thing. Coupled with long periods of boredom and short periods of terror.