Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Top Dog

Its definitely complicated and much harder when other obstacles come into play for sure.

Time helps, even if its just getting used to the new normal and learning coping skills.

Growing up with my little brother was rough. He is, well, cant even go into all his issues really, too numerous to list. Really rare disease and had stroke at 2 which caused some fairly severe issues. He is now 29 but mentally probably around 8ish? Some ways he is much older than that, but impulse control is younger so I kind of just round it to around 8 (my mom would say more like 14 probably). He has also been on steroids as they are pretty much what kept him alive but yeah, besides all the physical side effects, they have major emotional ones too. The fits he threw were just, no words can really describe. In those types of cases it became about management and giving him the words and other outlets when he was calm. It has worked. He still has issues of course (and now he is mostly deaf and legally blind (he can see very close up by its very compromised) so that adds a lot more...but he is able to control his outbursts for the most part, we learned triggers, he learned coping skills, etc.

Eh, I had too much coffee this morning, that is all just a rambly mess really....

I guess really my point was (((hugs))).
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for your advice, everyone! Very helpful! I also do the "it's ok I'm just getting a glass of water I'm only taking 10 steps away you will survive" thing, sometimes it works, sometimes not, lol.

I had been distracting her when she cried because she wanted something, but it's stopped working with stuff like changing and also if she still see what she wants. She actually has seemed better with changing yesterday so maybe she's realized fighting it is futile. She did ok in the bath last night once my BF got into the tub next to her baby tub, so we might go back to co bathing. Lots of creativity lol

Mostly I'm not sure what to do about the screaming for attention thing. It's obviously a fake cry, and she'll do it either a few minutes after I put her in her playpen, jumper, crib, etc, or if I'm playing with her and stop to talk to someone else or turn my attention away. (That's when I'd be walking away from her, not every time she cried over something silly)

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Active Pup

Hello everyone

I found this thread and I hope that it's ok for me to post here.

I am 19 weeks pregnant with my 1st child. We go for our ultrasound TOMORROW which is super duper exciting!

We are due July 1st, which also happens to be my wedding anniversary.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaLab View Post
Hello everyone

I am 19 weeks pregnant with my 1st child. We go for our ultrasound TOMORROW which is super duper exciting!

Congrats!!!

How did the ultrasound go?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Top Dog

Congrats!! The second half of pregnancy flies by (as will the rest of your life, I imagine)! Are you finding out the sex?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Active Pup

The ultrasound went great! Baby has all the necessary body parts and the heart is in full working order. The tech is about 90% certain that baby is a girl (eek!) but we're still going to keep things gender neutral just in case the 'dangly bits" were just hiding.

I can feel baby move a lot now, which is super cool and a nice feeling.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

Since I keep going to this thread to complain about Lillian and ask for advice, I'll post some about the cool fun things she's doing:

She just started dancing when she hears a song she likes
Claps, but one of her hands is the wrong way (so slaps the back of her hand)
When you say "how big are you?" She stretches her arms way up
Stands on her own for a few seconds at a time (after pulling up on something)
Cruises the furniture
Is ticklish under her arms

She'll be 8 months old in a week!

What's everyone else's LOs up to?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Let it be

Haha the clapping thing is so cute!

Briggs finally points! He is hilarious though because whenever he starts doing something typical kids do he does it in the creepiest way. He used to talk in a low growl voice that made him sound like someone from a horror movie when he started attempting speech. Now he does this weird kinked up hand claw point. LOL! But I will take it! He also waves backwards. So the pal mof his hand is facing him instead of away from him.

Blake is a little stinker. He is the toughest little baby because Briggs was and still can be quite mean to him. He can take a hit and not even be phased but now when someone tries to take something from him he hangs on for dear life and screams in their face.

Oh did I mention Briggs has a mohawk and Blake has a ginger mullet? My kids are hilarious.

and look how huge Blake is now. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BABY?!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Hello everyone

Quote:
The ultrasound went great! Baby has all the necessary body parts and the heart is in full working order. The tech is about 90% certain that baby is a girl (eek!) but we're still going to keep things gender neutral just in case the 'dangly bits" were just hiding.

I can feel baby move a lot now, which is super cool and a nice feeling.
Awesome- I'm 19w2d with my first baby as well! We had our big anatomy scan last Monday and everything was perfect as well! Baby is even measuring a little bit ahead of my due date

We did a optional 3D ultrasound back at 15 weeks and were told it's a girl, and it was confirmed last Monday. I was a little afraid we'd see a hotdog instead of a cheeseburger... haha.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Awesome- I'm 19w2d with my first baby as well! We had our big anatomy scan last Monday and everything was perfect as well! Baby is even measuring a little bit ahead of my due date

We did a optional 3D ultrasound back at 15 weeks and were told it's a girl, and it was confirmed last Monday. I was a little afraid we'd see a hotdog instead of a cheeseburger... haha.
Awesome news Jessie! We aren't doing the 3D scan, so we can only hope that the technician was right.