Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2191  
Old 09-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
Just because someone chooses a different choice them someone else in how they raise their child does not make them ignorant. So please do not get insulting just because I choose differently then what you plan to. There are many reason that go into our decisions. For example those videos show impact of a car slamming into a wall or obstacle from the front and how the child in the seat would react. So what happens when the same happens from the rear with the car in the rear facing posisiton? We have had 3 rear end hits to our vehicle in the past 4yrs. Yet have had nothing that we have hit head on. In my whole life I have never been in a head on collision. Yet I have been in vehicles hit from the side but mainly from the back from people following too close.
I'm having a hard time believing that you did a lot of research because in the link that GreenMagick posted it goes into that.

Quote:
What if I am hit from behind? Won't my child be safer facing forward?

Frontal and side impacts are the most common type of crashes. They account for 96% of all crashes. They are also the most deadly type of crashes (especially side impacts) and rear-facing children have MUCH more protection in both types of crashes than forward-facing. In the 4% of rear impact crashes that a rear-facing child would be in, they have at least the same amount of protection that a FF child would have in a frontal impact, with the added benefit of less crash energy being transferred to them, and the fact that the rear impact is usually not as severe.

The forces in a rear impact crash are much different from the forces in a frontal impact crash. In a frontal impact, the forces are much greater because the vehicles are usually traveling in opposite directions. Experts suggest that a frontal crash is the same as hitting a concrete barrier � the vehicle and all occupants come to a dead stop within less than 1 second.

When you are struck in a rear impact, the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction, and the vehicle that is hit in the back has room to move forward. The crash force on the occupants is much less than in a frontal impact. The movement of the impacted vehicle, in addition to the crush zone, absorbs a lot of the crash energy, so it is not transferred to the child. Additionally, the majority of rear impacts are at low speeds.

In short, if your child is rear-facing, he has optimal protection in the types of crashes you are most likely to be in. If he is forward-facing, he may have optimal protection in a rear-end crash, but statistically, that is the least likely to happen and he is 60% more likely to be injured or killed in the types of crashes (frontal, side impact) you are most likely to be in.

You can learn more about the physics of rear-facing at http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
No one's insulting you. But I definitely don't agree with your decision and I'm not going to hide that. It's still your decision and obviously you're going to do what you want but if you're getting this much disagreement maybe you should spend less time being offended and more time doing research. /shrug
__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #2192  
Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM
stardogs stardogs is offline
Behavior Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,630
Default

Like Allison, I'm not really arguing, but want to make sure you have all the info out there as a lot has changed in recent years.

More info on rear impact collisions from one of the links posted above:

Quote:
What if I am hit from behind? Won't my child be safer facing forward?

Frontal and side impacts are the most common type of crashes. They account for 96% of all crashes. They are also the most deadly type of crashes (especially side impacts) and rear-facing children have MUCH more protection in both types of crashes than forward-facing. In the 4% of rear impact crashes that a rear-facing child would be in, they have at least the same amount of protection that a FF child would have in a frontal impact, with the added benefit of less crash energy being transferred to them, and the fact that the rear impact is usually not as severe.

The forces in a rear impact crash are much different from the forces in a frontal impact crash. In a frontal impact, the forces are much greater because the vehicles are usually traveling in opposite directions. Experts suggest that a frontal crash is the same as hitting a concrete barrier � the vehicle and all occupants come to a dead stop within less than 1 second.

When you are struck in a rear impact, the vehicles involved are traveling in the same direction, and the vehicle that is hit in the back has room to move forward. The crash force on the occupants is much less than in a frontal impact. The movement of the impacted vehicle, in addition to the crush zone, absorbs a lot of the crash energy, so it is not transferred to the child. Additionally, the majority of rear impacts are at low speeds.

In short, if your child is rear-facing, he has optimal protection in the types of crashes you are most likely to be in. If he is forward-facing, he may have optimal protection in a rear-end crash, but statistically, that is the least likely to happen and he is 60% more likely to be injured or killed in the types of crashes (frontal, side impact) you are most likely to be in.

You can learn more about the physics of rear-facing at http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
__________________
Erin, Ziva, Kestrel, Aerten, and Snipe
Always in our hearts: The Amazing Maggie Mae


Reply With Quote
  #2193  
Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,096
Default

The thing is, frontal and side crashes make up the VAST majority of accidents and are statistically the most dangerous. They are the ones you need the most protection from which for a baby means a rear facing seat. (rear end accidents are around 11 %)


A rear facing seat is still very safe for a rear end collision as well but the impact of being rear ended is not the same as if you have a frontal or side impact at the same speed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2194  
Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 PM
NicoleLJ's Avatar
NicoleLJ NicoleLJ is offline
PSD Partner
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I'm having a hard time believing that you did a lot of research because in the link that GreenMagick posted it goes into that.



No one's insulting you. But I definitely don't agree with your decision and I'm not going to hide that. It's still your decision and obviously you're going to do what you want but if you're getting this much disagreement maybe you should spend less time being offended and more time doing research. /shrug
I have had 4 children and have done the research each time when each child is ready to be turned around. So just because my decisions for MY children is different then yours does not make it wrong. I am not offended that people disagree with my decision. I am offended that people are alluding to me being ignorant because my decision is different from theirs. I am not going to change my mind for my child because people disagree with me. I know what is best for them. I know a ton of people who disagree with me raising my son as an atheist. Doesn't mean I should change my mind because there are so many that do. I know several people who disagree with me giving my son breast milk till he is 6yrs old. Doesn't mean I should change my mind their either. Does that make them or me ignorant? No. It just makes us different.
Reply With Quote
  #2195  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Airn's Avatar
Airn Airn is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
I have had 4 children and have done the research each time when each child is ready to be turned around. So just because my decisions for MY children is different then yours does not make it wrong. I am not offended that people disagree with my decision. I am offended that people are alluding to me being ignorant because my decision is different from theirs. I am not going to change my mind for my child because people disagree with me. I know what is best for them. I know a ton of people who disagree with me raising my son as an atheist. Doesn't mean I should change my mind because there are so many that do. I know several people who disagree with me giving my son breast milk till he is 6yrs old. Doesn't mean I should change my mind their either. Does that make them or me ignorant? No. It just makes us different.
I didn't mean to offend you. I thought you were a first time mom, like most of the moms on here. And I thought you all were swapping information.

I still find it hard to believe you would continue to choose a front facing seat after all of the studies shown here. But, that is your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #2196  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM
stardogs stardogs is offline
Behavior Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,630
Default

I know you say your mind is made up Nicole, but PLEASE read the following blog posts. They are both about SERIOUS rear end accidents with children rear facing and how their seats still protected them.

Fully stopped car, rear ended by a vehicle going 65MPH: http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html

Slowing or stopped car, hit by a jackknifing semi at 50 MPH: http://carseatnanny.blogspot.com/201...-rear.html?m=1
__________________
Erin, Ziva, Kestrel, Aerten, and Snipe
Always in our hearts: The Amazing Maggie Mae


Reply With Quote
  #2197  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:12 PM
NicoleLJ's Avatar
NicoleLJ NicoleLJ is offline
PSD Partner
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I didn't mean to offend you. I thought you were a first time mom, like most of the moms on here. And I thought you all were swapping information.

I still find it hard to believe you would continue to choose a front facing seat after all of the studies shown here. But, that is your choice.
That is what makes us individuals. We all come to our own conclusions based on our experiences and what we learn. No offence but maybe instead of alluding that you think some one is ignorant because they are making a choice you would not, instead just state that you would choose differently and why that works for you.

I have been a parent for almost 15yrs now and I have seen a lot of things change over the years. For example when I choose to breast feed my daughter(first child) I got a lot of flack for it and even got asked to leave a restraint even though I was fully covered. Now more people are all for breast feeding but I am getting a lot of flack because I plan to do extended breast feeding with Nico and once he weans himself still pump and give him breast milk till age 6. The way I approach things now is that I educate myself on the topics, weight the pros and cons and then make my choices from there. I am choosing for my family. Not to please others. And what works might not/or won't work for someone else. But that does not make either person wrong. Just different.
Reply With Quote
  #2198  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:17 PM
NicoleLJ's Avatar
NicoleLJ NicoleLJ is offline
PSD Partner
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I know you say your mind is made up Nicole, but PLEASE read the following blog posts. They are both about SERIOUS rear end accidents with children rear facing and how their seats still protected them.

Fully stopped car, rear ended by a vehicle going 65MPH: http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html

Slowing or stopped car, hit by a jackknifing semi at 50 MPH: http://carseatnanny.blogspot.com/201...-rear.html?m=1
THanks Stardogs but I have made up my mind. I have read the studies, seen the videos, even saw the statistics(though I disagree with them about the rear end hits being less common since that is mainly what I have experience with). I didn't post on here about him switching to get insulted and alluded to being ignorant. I posted it because I was just thinking about how fast he was growing up and how I wish he would slow down. This posts will help someone else though in coming up with their pro's and cons list I am sure.
Reply With Quote
  #2199  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Airn's Avatar
Airn Airn is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
That is what makes us individuals. We all come to our own conclusions based on our experiences and what we learn. No offence but maybe instead of alluding that you think some one is ignorant because they are making a choice you would not, instead just state that you would choose differently and why that works for you.

I have been a parent for almost 15yrs now and I have seen a lot of things change over the years. For example when I choose to breast feed my daughter(first child) I got a lot of flack for it and even got asked to leave a restraint even though I was fully covered. Now more people are all for breast feeding but I am getting a lot of flack because I plan to do extended breast feeding with Nico and once he weans himself still pump and give him breast milk till age 6. The way I approach things now is that I educate myself on the topics, weight the pros and cons and then make my choices from there. I am choosing for my family. Not to please others. And what works might not/or won't work for someone else. But that does not make either person wrong. Just different.
Ok, I get that you're getting all pissed off because you're making your own choices but it really doesn't matter how long you've been a parent. And I did not call you ignorant. I said I thought most people's decision to front face was ignorance. Again, I find it hard to see why anyone would front face after the studies and research done on it.

But, this is a circular conversation. I'm sorry you got offended by what I said, but that's all. Obviously the moms on here can't convince you that there are better options and you won't convince them that you're making the best decision. Seems to be an impasse.
Reply With Quote
  #2200  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 PM
NicoleLJ's Avatar
NicoleLJ NicoleLJ is offline
PSD Partner
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Ok, I get that you're getting all pissed off because you're making your own choices but it really doesn't matter how long you've been a parent. And I did not call you ignorant. I said I thought most people's decision to front face was ignorance. Again, I find it hard to see why anyone would front face after the studies and research done on it.

But, this is a circular conversation. I'm sorry you got offended by what I said, but that's all. Obviously the moms on here can't convince you that there are better options and you won't convince them that you're making the best decision. Seems to be an impasse.
I am not pissed off. Your the one that alluded to people making that choice(which includes me since I am making that choice) as being ignorant and then said it was because you thought I was a new parent. Hence why I stated how long I have been parenting. As to convincing any one of any thing. I didn't post about switching him to convince anyone to change their minds. Not once have I ever alluded to anyone that they should. I just stated it was a personal decision. Then everyone else just kept trying to change my mind. Which I kept saying I was not looking for or interested in but the info posted is always good(including looking at a persons locations laws on it) in helping others who have not made up their minds. I am not trying to change anyones mind and mine is a decision that was made that works for MY family. What works for someone elses may be the same or may be different. My issue was the alluding to people choosing differently as being ignorant. That was my issue. I know I am making the best decision for my family and I am glad to see others feel the same way for the decisions for their families as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site