Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

We are doing extended rear facing with Everleigh too. My mom thinks I'm insane, so I knew I was on the right track.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:45 PM
PSD Partner

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...fety-seats.pdf

Above is the one for Alberta. It used to say 20lbs. That is when my other 3 all went into their forward facing ones. So we are planning to look around and get it for his b-day(October 27th). Then when he is the right weight we have it on hand.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Behavior Nerd

Have you seen the videos? It removed all doubt in my mind that I will rearface any munchkins I have until it's physically impossible. I kind of wish I could rear face myself!!

*Note that in some countries they recommend RF until **4 YEARS** old.

Since you're going to have to buy a new seat, why not get a convertible one that does RF, FF, and booster? Seems like that would be the best of all worlds.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:18 PM
PSD Partner

I have turned all my kids to FF when the law stipulated, and when they were ready. I have researched it many times(each time one of my kids is ready) and the pro's outweigh the cons for us. He won't be turned till he is the proper weight, age and is walking.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Everyone has to pick what they think is best. I will admit I turned both of mine before two....around 16-18 months I think...but wish I hadnt. I did it because they both HATED the car and screamed pretty much the entire car ride. But I did not research as fully as I should've and well, honestly remained ignorant on the issue.

For those who haven't looked into the issue and would like some more information...here is a good place to start

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

excerpt

Quote:
Rear-facing is the safest position the child can ride in. It is strongly recommended that all children stay rear-facing beyond the minimum requirements of 1 year and 20 lbs. Children should not be turned forward-facing until they reach the maximum rear-facing limits of a convertible seat (that allows rear-facing to at least 30 lbs). These limits are either the maximum rear-facing weight limit or when the top of their head is within one inch of the top of the seat shell, whichever comes first. While most parents are aware that they must keep their children rear-facing "until they are AT LEAST 1 year old AND 20 lbs", very few are told that there are significant safety benefits when a child remains rear-facing as long as the seat allows. For most children, rear-facing can and should continue well into the second year of life.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
PSD Partner

Also everyone should look up their countries, province/state and so on laws. Each location could have different laws about it as well and it never hurts to read the new studies and so on to help you in your decision as well.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
Also everyone should look up their countries, province/state and so on laws. Each location could have different laws about it as well and it never hurts to read the new studies and so on to help you in your decision as well.
Again, NOT trying to change your mind about when to turn, you know your child best....

BUT

The actual law is the MINIMUM requirement. We are saying we KNOW what the different laws state and that in most areas (12 months and around 20 lbs) they are too low.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:40 PM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Again, NOT trying to change your mind about when to turn, you know your child best....

BUT

The actual law is the MINIMUM requirement. We are saying we KNOW what the different laws state and that in most areas (12 months and around 20 lbs) they are too low.
I know what you are saying. And I was just saying that it doesn't hurt to research the location you reside in. Just like for my other 3 it was 20lbs and now that law has changed to 22lbs. I wasn't meaning YOU should look it up. I was saying it for others reading this thread that it is a good idea to look up where they live because laws can and do change. My mind won't be changed because I did the research and weighed the pros and cons for us. Each person needs to do the same for them. Hence making sure to look up the location and laws for that location.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

Well, I am not going to keep debating it lol

but my point was the law is irrelevant. I dont care what the law says...
Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Behavior Nerd

Out of curiosity, I decided to look up my state's laws. To say it's basic is a bit of an understatement:

Quote:
NC Child Passenger Safety Law - G.S. 20-137.1

20-137.1. Child restraint systems required.
(a) Every driver who is transporting one or more passengers of less than 16 years of age shall have all such passengers properly secured in a child passenger restraint system or seat belt which meets federal standards applicable at the time of its manufacture.

(a1) A child less than eight years of age and less than 80 pounds in weight shall be properly secured in a weight- appropriate child passenger restraint system. In vehicles equipped with an active passenger-side front air bag, if the vehicle has a rear seat, a child less than five years of age and less than 40 pounds in weight shall be properly secured in a rear seat, unless the child restraint system is designed for use with air bags. If no seating position equipped with a lap and shoulder belt to properly secure the weight-appropriate child passenger restraint system is available, a child less than eight years of age and between 40 and 80 pounds may be restrained by a properly fitted lap belt only.