Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 AM
Top Dog

I think a donation that plants a tree in her honor is a great idea.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

I'm taking Obi to our first dock dogs competition tomorrow. My mom is watching Everleigh. This is the first time I've been away from her for a day by choice. I know she will be fine and she's good with my mom but I'm feeling super guilty.

Someone tell me that it's good for her to spend time with someone else. We are together 24/7 and I hate being away from her but I really need friends and a hobby so that she doesn't grow up thinking her mom is an antisocial loser.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Was BackwardCinderella

Grandma time is the best, Allison. Just ask Winnie. She'll be telling you all about how awesome nana is soon.

Unrelated, but those of you who don't celebrate Christmas, how do you explain to your children why in a way that they understand, and how do you keep them from ruining other kids' beliefs about Santa etc? This year Winnie is old enough to understand and also old enough that she has friends who DO understand and celebrate. I just don't want her to put any kid in a position to doubt what their parents have told them, especially as young as they are.

http://doofydogblog.blogspot.com/
In which creeper dogs, products and nonsense are discussed.

Last edited by ThatCrazyGroomer; 08-30-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

Maybe you could borrow some books about all the different ways people celebrate the holiday around the world and then at the end explain the special way you guys celebrate? ("We celebrate togetherness every day, not just once a year" kind of thing?) And teach her that no one way is wrong or better than another but that people have different ways of celebrating?
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Was BackwardCinderella

I'll have to look at the library and find some. That's a great idea! Thanks!

http://doofydogblog.blogspot.com/
In which creeper dogs, products and nonsense are discussed.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

Allison, I think it is really important to get out and do stuff for you...not so that everleigh doesn't think you're an antisocial loser, but because she will need someone to set an example of how to pursue interests and make time for herself. I truly believe you can't be a good parent unless you're happy, and that requires taking care of yourself sometimes.

My mom gave up her hobbies, friends, etc. when she had kids and threw herself into motherhood 110%. And when we hit middle school, she fell apart. Until Lilly was born her only hobbies were reality TV and bejeweled blitz. Now she's being an incredibly overwhelming grandparent. And she has zero close friends, only really talks to her sisters, and burdens me by venting about her relationship and other family issues that I find really inappropriate to discuss with your (even grown) child. Somehow I don't think that would be the case if the only times she left us with a babysitter weren't for PTA or Girl Scout leader meetings.

So yeah, for Ev's sake, go enjoy the day

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyGroomer View Post
Grandma time is the best, Allison. Just ask Winnie. She'll be telling you all about how awesome nana is soon.

Unrelated, but those of you who don't celebrate Christmas, how do you explain to your children why in a way that they understand, and how do you keep them from ruining other kids' beliefs about Santa etc? This year Winnie is old enough to understand and also old enough that she has friends who DO understand and celebrate. I just don't want her to put any kid in a position to doubt what their parents have told them, especially as young as they are.
There's no reason you can't celebrate any other thing you want that isn't Christmas but happens to be around the same time. You can celebrate without it being religious or linked to any faith or spirituality. Maybe you just like to have parties or share gifts for no good reason at all and that just happens to be in December? Doesn't matter what faith you do follow either, parties are parties are gifts are gifts any excuse for family time in my books.

I think there are sooooo many lessons to be learnt in those get together and happy times. Personally, I'd just have a party anyway
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

We celebrate Christmas as an expression of giving and spending time with family, as we are both agnostic. We will emphasize that the holidays are for these reasons in our family. Although we will let her believe in Santa for as long as she can

Old 08-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

I feel like I shouldn't need so much help by now.

Her dad has been working overtime, and my mom went on vacation...so did most of my close friends. I'm falling apart. The house is a disaster. I'm sleeping about 2 hrs every 24 hour period if I'm lucky. I guess it's partly because I'm trying to register for school, but if I can't handle that how am I supposed to deal with classes?

It's like everyone was so ready to help when she was a newborn, but then everything was a lot easier.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I feel like I shouldn't need so much help by now.

Her dad has been working overtime, and my mom went on vacation...so did most of my close friends. I'm falling apart. The house is a disaster. I'm sleeping about 2 hrs every 24 hour period if I'm lucky. I guess it's partly because I'm trying to register for school, but if I can't handle that how am I supposed to deal with classes?

It's like everyone was so ready to help when she was a newborn, but then everything was a lot easier.
It's sooo true! It's a catch-22. They're easier when they're newborn but we are learning how to be moms. Then we start figuring it out but they become more work.

My dh just snarked at me because I didn't add the poop bags to the garbage when I took it out this week. Are you kidding me? I managed to take out the garbage AND recycling while looking after an infant! Screw you!