Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Obey the Toad.

For all you mommies, what influenced your decision to either continue working or stay home?

When we have a kidlet I'm really thinking about what I should do...DH makes more than I do--I work full time and make 30% of the household income. I have a BA in English but do not do a job that has anything to do with my degree. I'm an assembler in a factory (a job with no real upward mobility), so it's not like I would be missing out on any sort of a career track other than the lost income.

We can afford for me to stay home and we will have health insurance through DH, but I am weighing all the options...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

For me I chose to stay at home because I felt for my children, and for me, it was the best fit.

I also had no desire to continue working lol
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Big Mutts

SillySally, I have been a stay at home mom since my oldest was born (10 now). Our biggest influence was that I worked in a local daycare for one year. I adored all the children, but you would be appalled at the things that could potentially be happening.

I love knowing (until they start school) that I am the one they're learning everything from. Also you don't miss a moment of all those "firsts". Depending on how long your hours at work, your baby would spend more time bonding with your caretaker than you.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

We knew stay at home was what we wanted even before we had Hannah. We could afford it with some budgeting. Wasn't like I had a high paying career so it was a pretty easy decision.

I do work part time right now and Hannah gets to come with me but like Greenmagick, I was perfectly ok with not working out of the home another day in my life haha

But really I just knew that I would never regret a day spent with my child but knew in my heart I would regret any day I missed... Especially if I missed a "first" milestone

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Right now, we each make about 50% of the household income. It is not financially feasible at all for me to stay home, unfortunately. (or, I should clarify, for either of us to stay home) And Clive's insurance comes from my workplace. If I did not work, neither of us would be insured. (my work covers my insurance at no cost and I just pay for his.. where through my husband's workplace, it's $900 a month for family insurance...not doable)

I'd love to stay home, but I like paying rent and utilities more. *shrug*
Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I have named this fetus "Peabody", because omg all I do is eat. sleep. pee. It's like the sequel to "Eat, Pray, Love", only less interesting.
JD Robb and Elizabeth Peters have main characters named that.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I'm not a mom yet, but my husband and I have always planned on me staying home. It's important to me to be a stay at home mom. I don't want to miss any of the firsts. I've always to stay home with my family as my end goal.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

I'm so torn. My mat leave ends in April, five weeks before she turns one.

On one hand, I love my job, my bosses, my coworkers, my employee perks (I'm a vet receptionist), and they treat me/pay me really well.

On the other, daycare is expensive, a good chunk of my pay cheque would be going to that and infant spots in licensed places here are incredibly hard to find. And I don't want to be away from her. My hours also suck. It takes me an hour to get to work so I'm gone for 11-12 hours a day.

I need to do some number crunching and I need to see what shifts they're willing to give me to see if I go back.

Soooooo anxiety inducing.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
Well now I have puppy and baby fever. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.
Ok, in all sincerity, this might help:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassa...arent?s=mobile
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

Never had any desire to stay at home. I worked darn hard for my degrees, and love the sense of accomplishment I get from doing my job. One of my biggest fears is that I will not have the time/energy/ability to keep working after baby.

Studies have shown that at the end of the day you can't tell the difference between adults who had parents at home and those with two working parents. It's all about what mom and dad prefer, because there is no real long term impact.

I feel like I will get the best of both worlds. Work September-June, off in July and August to be a SAHM, and off on all school breaks when kiddo is old enough to be on that schedule with me.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG