Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

Did anyone go back to work full time around ten weeks after birth? Seriously all of my family and most friends did and now some people are making it sound like its impossible!! Of course one is a stay at home mom and the other is seventy and stuck watching her grand daughter all the time but its starting to drive me nuts. My boss even asked if I was coming back. Would be nice but seriously to live I need to work. Is this completely impossible or what?!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

I went back to work full time at 5 weeks.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

In the US many women go back at 6 weeks. It's really going to depend in the individual, mom, baby, and family, and the job.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Top Dog

I went back after 12 weeks as did most of the people I knew. Not that hard, you get into a routine.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Top Dog

I don't have to go back until April, if I go back at all, and I'm dreading it. Daycare for infants here is incredible hard to find, most places have really long wait lists, and the ones that don't are available for a reason.

I cannot imagine having to go back after six weeks. I really can't. You guys amaze me.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Vizsla mom

Yeah, Americans amaze me with their quick return to work!! I doubt I'll ever have a baby but Canadians are so so lucky when it comes to mat leave.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
Chaz has the cutest babies! Here is Clarissa at just over 5 months
I love that sleeper!! At least I assume it's a sleeper. And wow everyone's babies are so adorable (and big)!

Falon wears a bow tie now. Bow ties are cool.

FalonTipper07-2013 by taqroy, on Flickr

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Stinky Butt

I went back to work at 10 weeks with both of my kids. I actually started working remotely from home part time at more like 2 or 3 weeks, but it was totally my choice to help us out financially and not burn through all of my vacation time or savings. I also successfully pumped for the first year and breastfed both way past a year. It can totally be done. Sometimes you don't have a choice whether you return to work or not. I won't say it is easy, but you adjust and it becomes your new norm. I think both me and my children benefited from them going to daycare and me to work. We all received the mental stimulation and social interactions that we needed. Now that they are 2 and 4 1/2, I can really see the benefits they have received from being in a "school" like environment. This is just my experience though and of course may not be how everyone returning to work feels.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Top Dog

Its not impossible, no, but it is hard.

The longer you can take leave the better. Yes, one can make do with just about anything when you have to but you might as well set yourself up the best you can which includes giving yourself enough time to bond, recover from pregnancy and delivery, etc. The studies I have seen point to higher stress, depression, etc for those who go back really soon. Overall, yes, longer is better and sadly US has one of the worst records for maternity care and leave

Personally, I can't imagine having to go back to work, especially when they were still infants. For me, the idea of the hectic morning rush, running to daycare, to work, to home, getting dinner and keeping the house, all that together makes me exhausted. BUT, that is a personal thing for sure.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Top Dog

I went back to work at 12 weeks. The first two weeks sucked horribly but now that we're in a routine it's not too bad. I don't get much done during the week though - come home, snuggle baby, snuggle/exercise dogs, wash bottles, feed dogs, eat dinner, talk to Matt, lay on sofa, put baby to bed, put self to bed.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013