Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

Also, MM, what you're describing was Everleigh's first four weeks. It was hell and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But it WILL pass.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Is she gassy? What do her bowel movements look like and how is your let down? My daughter, well, we wont use her because she was really hard lol. My son was a bit easier but did start having fussy periods until I stopped dairy. Some people have to go off all dairy but we were ok with cutting all milk and ice cream and nominal amounts cheese and yogurt and butter were fine (there are other things too but that is probably the most common culprit).

I am not much help though as both of mine pretty much never slept more than 2-3 hours til they were two or later and they nursed pretty constantly when they were infants.
This is pretty much my life right now even at five months old. Every baby is different. I wish I had a sleeper but alas, I don't. At least not right now

~Aura & Riley~
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

I don't think it's a reaction to anything I ate. I tried cutting dairy early on after I ate some italian food and she was horribly gassy, but it turned out to be the tomato sauce. I also have eaten very little to no dairy the past few days, and it's never bothered her before. She really doesn't seem gassy...she has been a few times since birth and cried about it, but that was different.

Her bowel movements are normal, too.

When I first read about "wonder weeks" I thought it was some BS theory someone came up with...but now I believe it. It's not even like she's crying all day or anything...it's just that she NEVER cried after coming home from the hospital. For five weeks, she'd literally cry for 30 seconds - 1 or 2 minutes at a time, maybe 4 times a day. If we took too long to feed her or change her. Now she's crying on and off for an hour two or three times a day. It seems she's crying when she's tired/before naps/bedtime.

It's also coinciding with her first social smiles.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

MM, maybe this will be helpful. http://purplecrying.info/

I'm glad that Ryland isn't particularly fussy, but I won't count my chickens... He's only two weeks old. It seems his mucous resolved itself... No sign of it and he's kept everything down for two days now.

He has developed this awful habit of not drinking his bottle and wanting it in his mouth, anyways. He has a pacifier, but can tell the difference between it and the bottle and he specifically wants the bottle. He will latch to it, but not suck, and try to go to sleep like that. He also doesn't eat. What do I do about this and why is he doing it?

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

It sounds like he wants to comfort suck. You might have to try a bunch of different types of soothers to find one he likes.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

Have you tried the hospital style pacifiers? They have them at target.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

I have a weird question: you know how your gag reflex gets worse in pregnancy? Has anyone else had it not go back to normal after delivery? 6 weeks later and my gag reflex is still awful, way worse than it was before I got pregnant.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Weird! Mine was the same when I was pregnant.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Obey the Toad.

So I'm not trying to start a debate here, but I have a breast feeding question. I know that breastfeeding is super healthy and am all for it. I'm for breast feeding in public, in private, on a train, on a plane, waltzing down the street, covered, uncovered, whatever-I'm fine with all that.

However, the idea of a kid actually nursing off of ME totally skeeves me out and makes me very uncomfortable. Has anyone else ever felt this way?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

Me!

I wasn't like....totally disgusted or horrified by the thought of a baby nursing from me, but I definitely didn't like it at all. I thought it sounded really weird and would creep me out. Again, didn't bother me AT ALL to see other people nursing babies, but I did NOT like the thought of doing it myself.

When I got pregnant, I never really thought about it. For me, not trying it wasn't even a consideration...you obviously want the best for your child, and since breastfeeding is the healthiest option for most moms...I just knew I would.

And when she got here, I think everything was such a whirlwind there wasn't even time to think about if it was weird or uncomfortable. At least not in the hospital. I still don't LOVE breastfeeding her. Honestly, women are always like "it's so magical, it's so empowering to nurture your baby with your body, you get a high from the oxytocin when breastfeeding". Um...no. Yeah, it's nice to bond with her and be so close to her and be able to make her comfortable/happy/nurtured in a way no one else can....but I don't get any kind of rush from it, and half the time it's kind of a chore. But it doesn't seem weird or uncomfortable or skeevy. It just seems like feeding my kid.