Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

MM what is her weight at now? Can you do a weighted feed somewhere? They offered them at the hospital here and I know there are midwives that will do them too. I strongly recommend you do one - hopefully you'll come out and know everything is fine but if there is a problem you should go see an IBCLC consultant. They are SO much more knowledgeable than the people at the hospital.

Quote:
If she goes more than 2 hours between feedings, I pump. And I get MAYBE a half ounce of milk.
Pumping is NOT indicative of what a baby gets. Trust me. Babies are crazy efficient at getting milk out and pumps are only sort of efficient. So don't think that you're under-producing just based on pumping.

Quote:
If I nurse her, she does ok - she latches correctly and drinks, but falls asleep constantly and has to be prodded awake.
I started out exclusively pumping because Falon fell asleep ALL THE TIME. It was super frustrating. We went through a whole list of things to get her to stay awake and eat.
- Make her naked
- Tickle the back of her neck
- Rub her back/shoulder/any part of her
- Diaper change (especially effective with cold wet wipes)
- Touch with a cold bottle (made me feel like we were torturing her but it was very effective)

Quote:
She'll nurse for up to 15-20 minutes on each side. She doesn't empty my breasts. Then she screams about 20-40 minutes later for more food.
This sounds like cluster feeding. It's normal, it sucks, and it's for the sole purpose of increasing your supply. Honestly, the first couple weeks of a new baby's life make yours revolve around nursing/pumping/feeding. It feels like an endless cycle but it gets better I swear.

You can try a lot of skin to skin time to help your milk come in - I did it a ton because Falon wasn't nursing and we weren't sure pumping would establish my supply.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 06-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

Thanks so much for your input.

I've tried making her naked for feedings and tickling her, nudging her shoulder, even a cool washcloth on her...it will wake her up enough for her to suck 3 more times, and then she falls right asleep again

The cluster feeding wouldn't be so bad if that wasn't how she wanted to feed 24/7. She would do that around the clock if I didn't give her any formula.

I never even thought of a weighted feeding, I'll look into that!

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Bite Club

Yes to everything Taqroy said. We also had those issues plus cracked bleeding nipples and major emotional lows on my part. It sucks but the more you nurse the better! I went on fenugreek and blessed thistle. Apparently they work better together. Take three pills of each, three times a day. It takes three days for it to kick in. You can then up the dose if needed. I had to do the max dose for a few weeks to get my supply up. It was rough but it worked! Things got much easier after the 6 week mark and I was able to go off the herbs and things have been fine since! Hang in there!! Find a good breast feeding clinic or LLL clinic. We went twice a week for a while for the support. It helps to know you're not alone.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I've heard that castor oil inductions affect babies the same way they affect adults - so you end up with meconium in the fluid which can lead to all kinds of other issues. I wouldn't do it.
Seriously. Meconium issues suck. Ask Everleigh.

MM, I agree with what Taqroy and Jen have said. You can also try switching sides multiple times during a feeding to wake baby up.

My go-to BF resource is kellymom.com. It's the best website for information on everything related to BFing.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/new...sleepy-babies/
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Thanks so much for your input.

I've tried making her naked for feedings and tickling her, nudging her shoulder, even a cool washcloth on her...it will wake her up enough for her to suck 3 more times, and then she falls right asleep again

The cluster feeding wouldn't be so bad if that wasn't how she wanted to feed 24/7. She would do that around the clock if I didn't give her any formula.

I never even thought of a weighted feeding, I'll look into that!
I REALLY think you should go see an LC. A real certified LC. And if you don't like one, go find another. (Seriously, some of them suck.) When Falon was falling asleep all the time the LC we saw actually had us switch to faster flow nipples. She said the risk of nipple confusion was worth it because part of the reason we couldn't get breastfeeding to work was that she was SO tired from working so hard to get food. I don't know if that's the issue for you but an LC would and they'd be able to give you better advice.

It sounds like you've got the pumping thing down - just make sure that you're pumping for every time the baby eats. And if she does latch on one side you can pump the other to help bring your milk in and establish your supply. If you're not using a hospital grade pump you should look into them. The hospitals around here rent them out for like $25/week and they make a HUGE difference. Hopefully you guys will figure this out soon but if you don't I can give you some tips on long term pumping. Falon wasn't able to nurse exclusively until she was six or seven weeks old so I have waaaaay more knowledge on the subject than I ever wanted.

One more thing I wanted to mention. I went through a hormone dump about two days after Falon was born and again at 2 weeks. It was AWFUL and sucky but it passed after a couple days. I'm mentioning it because it almost convinced me to quit pumping altogether - I started thinking she'd never nurse and I was going to be pumping forever and it was horrible and my boobs hurt and blah blah blah. But it passed and everything worked out. Just keep swimming and keep asking for help when you need it.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

My 12 day old can roll herself over from her tummy...she actually did it at like 4 days old but we thought it was a fluke...she just did it twice in a row when I put her on her tummy and then go to the opposite side of where her head is turned and talk to her.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

Everleigh can roll herself over too and has been able to hold her head up since birth pretty much. More than anything I find it a pain in the ass! lol I've been head butted more times than I care to admit and I can't do tummy time with her since she just flips herself over. Trouble!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

Thank you guys so much for your advice - Allison, I did check out Kellymom but didn't think of trying the breast compressions...they've helped a lot and so has taking really deep breaths when she falls asleep/stops sucking.

So far since her 2am feeding she's only had less than 2oz of formula!! So I'm really really happy...she's also nursed every 2 hours and been happy and cute in between instead of screaming for food.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

Yay!!!!