Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

I'm sure there are some situations, especially if there's a medical issue going on, where an infant is better off in another sleeping position.

My mom's reason for putting me to sleep on my back was that I kept bending my knees and it looked uncomfortable for me to be in the fetal position on my back.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

Appointment today was good. I gained another half pound and measure 41. Cervix was dilated but WAS soft enough that my midwife was able to do a sweep, which she said was pretty good for a first timer. She also hinted at the size of the baby. ("There is really no more room in there!") LOL

So plan tonight was to walk, bounce, somehow seduce my husband and drink my raspberry leaf tea but I'm too tired to do all of them so I will stick with the last two. Hoping baby shows up tomorrow, not holding my breath.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

Allison, every time you post these days I'm hoping it's "having contractions, heading to the hospital soon!", .

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Let it be

The end is so tough! Waiting for the arrival is hard but before you know it baby will be here.

Briggs was diagnosed today as autistic as well as having an intellectual disability.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
The end is so tough! Waiting for the arrival is hard but before you know it baby will be here.

Briggs was diagnosed today as autistic as well as having an intellectual disability.
That must be a plateful of information for you to balance today. How are you feeling about it?

The diagnosis is really surprising to me. What sort of professional diagnosed him? I know in public schools, we are really hesitant to put a label on any child before 2nd grade, because there is such a wide range of "normal". I'm not doubting your experience at all (and I'm hardly an early childhood expert), I'm just surprised that they would label him intellectually disabled at such a young age. What sort of tests did they perform, if you don't mind sharing?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Let it be

Three did. Two through Sunny Hill (a pedi and speech pathologist) as well as a psychologist at West Coast Child Development. The intellectual disability part I was told is going to have to be re-evaluated once he gets in school because it is more than likely not going to reflect him in the long run. He scores really low in the range of being intellectually disabled. He says he sees lots of kids who with proper help DO grow out of that label.

I knew I was going to hear autism spectrum disorder today. I don't agree with being intellectually disabled. Briggs is brilliant. He just has a very selective window of interests.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Paige, I am sorry to hear the news but I know it is also a relief to finally have a diagnosis to be able to move forward with. I hope from here you guys will be able to get the support you will need

As for public school labels, I don't believe schools should be the ones labelling children. Give input and feedback about areas they struggle with... Yes but labels? NO. Public school officials aren't trained to diagnose and should not be labelling children on their own.

I am glad to hear they think the intellectual disability won't be a problem later on. With a good plan of action families can really come a long way with autism and such with early intervention. My SIL's son was diagnosed with autism and he is really thriving with early intervention.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Let it be

It was a hard thing to hear. I think my son is a little genius (as I am sure all parents think about their kids) so to hear they think of him as being that behind? Yeah. In some of his development he isn't much ahead of his 7 month old brother but in other things he just blows my mind with.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 AM
Top Dog

What a hard day Paige but if I've learned anything about you in this thread, it's that it's only going to help you and Briggs going forward. Hugs.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Top Dog

Sorry to hear that, Paige. At least with a diagnosis you'll be able to get more help for him. And like I've said before...I know quite a few parents who were told their children would never talk or be verbal, never go to "regular" school, never do this, never do that, and they do.

Plus, he's so young...he has so much intellectual developing to do. He might not at this point in time before "normal" for his age, but that can definitely change, especially with intervention, and especially if the test results are impacted by any emotional or sensory disorders.

I scored way above average on intellect tests as a child. I had an extremely high IQ for my age group and a photographic memory. Neither one of those things lasted into adulthood, so I don't put much faith in analyzing how intellectual a toddler is, especially if there's other stuff going on that could affect it.