Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-13-2013, 04:51 AM
Top Dog

You won't necessarilly know rthat you are in labor right away. My first baby, I was exactly 2 weeks overdue. During work that day, I had a slight back ache that by bed time was aching pretty bad. I remember being up pacing back and forth until finally it dawned on me that I was in labor. It wasn't what I was expecting, my water never broke etc. My water never broke naturally on any of my 3 kids and 2 of them were overdue by exactly 2 weeks.
Good Luck to all you mothers and enjoy this wonderful time in your lives.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

What's everyone's opinions/experienced on visitors right after the baby?

I'm unsure, for one, if I want any friends/non-family to come to the hospital. It's already going to be AT LEAST 5 family members, realistically more like 10-12.

But then...like 4 million other people want to come and see the baby. Extended family is coming to stay from out of town within a few weeks after the birth. And right around my due date, a handful of my close friends are moving back to the area from farther away, and another couple are spending some times here visiting their families.

I don't really have too many concerns that I'll be too tired, or they'll disrupt our routine, or be a disturbance to me...but GERMS. I wouldn't be comfortable taking a new baby into public, and I'm not so sure I want so many family and friends (enough to pretty much constitute the general public) holding/touching/breathing on my newborn.

How safe is it to bring people whom you're confident are healthy, vaccinated adults around a newborn?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Do you have reason to believe they will be sick...?

I think as long as they have reasonable self hygiene you'll be ok. You could always ask them to remove shoes and give hand gel if you're that worried.

Baby will be reasonably protected if you're breastfeeding.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Behavior Nerd

Not sure if this is an issue where you are, but I know around here there has been a big resurgence of whooping cough and measles. They are recommending that adults receive boosters of both in many cases, so you might want to contact your local health department to see what their recommendations are.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Top Dog

Not sure about measles, but whooping cough is a HUGE concern here.

The hospital offers the booster to ANYONE who comes to see the baby. So I, my parents, and hopefully the baby's other grandparents, will get the booster. Apparently the booster lasts for 10 years, and is administered at 11 or 12 years of age, so all the younger family members should be good.

I also read, on the CDC website, that the booster is usually given to pregnant women between 27-36 weeks, and it will give the newborn immunity. I was not offered that, and I'm not sure why, since the hospital (who my midwife is through) takes pertussis VERY seriously.

I was titered for everything at the start of my pregnancy, so if I had immunity already, would that be passed to the baby? I'm also wondering if it just wasn't offered because of my seizure history (it says don't get the booster if you have epilepsy...and my diagnoses was "seizure disorder", but I never had a tonic clonic seizure? So I don't know if that would make me unable to receive the vaccine?) I'll find out at my appointment tomorrow.

I'm assuming if most of the people around the baby are vaccinated, I make everyone wash their hands, and nobody's sick - and I don't have to go back on seizure meds and can breastfeed - we'll be pretty ok.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

I'm not worried about her getting sick as much as I'm worried that I'm going to be completely overwhelmed trying to figure stuff out, trying to breastfeed, trying to be a mom and we are totally going to be bombarded.

Thinking about it yesterday actually made me really grumpy.
Along with the constant "no baby yet?" texts, I've been having people tell me (TELL, not ask) that they'll be coming down to see us as soon as she's born. Sigh. It's crazy how people will give boatloads of advice about "sleep when the baby sleeps!" but then tell you how they plan to be there when she is born.

Rant.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Behavior Nerd

For you Allison: http://haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com/

Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

Allison - my uncle moved in with us (incredibly spontaneously/spur of the moment-ly) about three weeks ago. So that bring the number of adults living in my (3 bedroom, 1600 sq foot) house to FIVE.

His 11 year old daughter is coming to stay with us for a few weeks.
My 17 year old cousin is coming to "help" with the baby.
My aunt (17 yr old's mom) is coming up with her - only for a few days.
She might bring my grandma.
My friend is coming from Boston to see the baby (not staying with us)
Another friend is coming from Florida (also not staying with us)

Everyone else lives around here, so at least if I need time to recover, I can push their visiting back a few weeks. But they're also people who are as close as family, and they're SOOOO excited (this is the first baby in our group of friends), and I know they want to be around right away to meet him/her. And I don't want to say "no" to his family, either...they don't seem overbearing at all, but I'm sure they'll want to visit.

The baby's dad just informed me that he's requested time off from work for when the baby's born, and also made the statement "Well, I'll be with you whenever I'm not working". I'm really really glad he's so interested in the baby and that we get along well enough to hang out together and be together with the baby, but that's A LOOOOOTTTT of people staying at my house.

BUT, as I read today: Where people think an overprotective mother is insane, people think an overprotective father is adorable. Make DH kick out anybody who's too germy or isn't letting you get enough rest

On the plus side at least if I do have a seizure plenty of people will be around to help.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Let it be

I had visitors right after having my baby x2. I don't personally mind. I don't get bothered by lots of people being around. However, I think its also really important to have down time after having a baby. Maybe let people come visit for a short bit but let them know ahead of time its only going to be four a half hour to an hour if you think you may get overwhelmed?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

We all went in and had the Tdap about 2 months before my granddaughter was born. The doctor said we all should get it at least 2 weeks before coming into contact with the baby.