Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Sit! Good dog.

This pulls at me. Many years ago I had a talk from a wonderful woman with disabilities, who set up a charity to support parents who have children with disabilities. She talked about parents finding out their children aren't "perfect" and the emotions that brings, the grief, anger, frustration and mourning for those things you dreamed of.

But then she talked about how they would help parents recognise the strengths they had and the good times they would have.

They used to give parents a pack, that contained a letter from the new born child to the parents. Omg, tears....

I can't imagine how it find out my child has a disability (physical or cognitive or otherwise).

What I do know is you don't meet many parents who aren't able to cope, don't have amazing kids, and aren't an inspiration. I sometimes think these things being out the best in us, and you see amazing things happen because of it.

It might be worrying, but it could also be the best thing to happen to you both for lots of OTHER reasons.

Sorry, that turned into a waffle. I just never forgot that talk. Everything will be ok Briggs will be ok
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

I didn't do prenatal classes at all. I'm not one for groups, I find classes awkward, and figured that I could learn all I needed to know from a book/the internet. I apparently did as there was nothing I was confused/baffled about
Old 04-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

That is such a grand Idea Dizzy , There are so few programs here I have been trying to figure out what I want to do about it. IS there a link I can browse and be inspired by?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
That is such a grand Idea Dizzy , There are so few programs here I have been trying to figure out what I want to do about it. IS there a link I can browse and be inspired by?
I've just been scanning google to find her.... She was a disability rights campaigner. It was mainly for physical disabilities.

It's driving my batty! It was a few years ago now, but I know I have the work we did for that course somewhere at home, I'm going to find it and find her name. I seem to remember she did have a website, and went round doing seminars and talks.

It was so good, they'd see parents in hospitals and it would give them some hope in all the confusion.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Bittersweet day. My first baby shower and my first day without my beautiful old dog.

Nice to have a distraction though.
My friend dug up this photo she took of us a few years ago at an anti-BSL rally in Toronto.

I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

Allison, that's a beautiful photo! I'm sorry for your loss...I hope you enjoy your shower. ((hugs)).

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

Thanks MM.
There were two little dogs there, so the topic of dogs was brought up a few times but thankfully no one asked me about her.

And we got some really nice gifts for baby so it was a lovely day. And I feel huge but pretty since I'm wearing real clothes for the first time all weekend.

I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

((((hugs)))) Allison. I'm so sorry for your loss. And you look great - I was just looking at my 33 week pictures and omg I look enormous. Short torso ftl.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

Falon had her two week check up today and she weighs 6lbs 12 oz (her birth weight was 6lbs 2oz) and I am so happy. They made me super paranoid about her weight gain/eating in the hospital so it was awesome to hear that she's ahead of the curve now. Also, one of the few benefits of pumping and bottle feeding is that we can switch off feedings at night - I actually got 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night. It. Was. Awesome.

And for anyone interested, here's a synopsis of Falon's birth. I stole Jen's format.

Falon Avery N
Born at 10:08 pm at the hospital on March 24, 2013
6lbs 2 oz, 19.5 inches

My water broke at 7:30 am on Sunday (apparently only 15% of women have their water break before active labor - I'm SO GLAD I wasn't at work). After several hours of denial I called the hospital and asked what we should do. When the answer was "You should come in now" I insisted that I should call my doctor first and when my doctor said "You should come in now" we packed our bags and headed in - after breakfast.

We got to the hospital at 11:30 where I was promptly hooked up to monitors and tested to see if my water actually broke (they tend to think that you've just peed yourself which is hilarious - I've never peed that much in my life). After it was determined that I was actually in labor (2 cm dilated and 90% effaced) we were admitted to the hospital and I started getting real contractions shortly after.

I contracted pretty regularly until 7:00 when they checked me again and I was still at 2 cm dilated. Which was incredibly depressing and since I was not able to relax at all after contractions I asked for an epidural. I got the epidural and they started me on a slow pitocin drip at 8. The epidural was freaking fantastic - I could still move my legs but I couldn't feel the contractions and I was able to relax for the first time in hours. And, best of all, Matt and I both caught a short nap and when they checked me again at 9:30 I was 10 cm and ready to start pushing. I only had to push for 30 minutes before Falon was born.

There is absolutely nothing I regret about the experience - nothing was pushed on us, everything was discussed with us thoroughly and my labor nurse was incredible. Overall it was a really great experience.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb