Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
We aren't telling anyone either. I can't believe how many people ask and expect us to just tell them everything. Lol. My hubby has started telling anyone who asks that we will be naming the baby Wolfgang. No middle or last name. Just Wolfgang. Lol. That usually shuts them up.
Yeah, people were the same way about finding out the sex (and now everyone's mad because I didn't immediately inform them when we did end up finding out). Apparently pregnancy means that you have no personal business anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
What did everyone do/is everyone doing as far as a baby shower?

I wasn't planning on having one (although any excuse for a party is a good excuse to me), but now people are wanting to have one/throw me one.

Which is great, but they want ME to make the guestlist...I love party planning but this is going to be SoOoOoO awkward. A bunch of my mom's coworkers want to come I don't even know them....and my mom is basically using this as an excuse to get people to buy me stuff, which makes me way uncomfortable. My friends mostly live way out of state, and the friends I do have here are a sprinkled combination of moms who don't at all know each other, and college/young professional guys who don't typically party earlier than 10pm.

Usually when I throw parties, everyone there knows each other, for the most part. This baby shower is going to be some super awkward combination of people who have never met and are from drastically different demographic groups.
My mom is throwing mine. Which I assume is some kind of infringement on etiquette but I don't care. I really didn't want one and she really wanted me to have one so we compromised with a BBQ/shower and no games. I don't have the same problems with the guest list though...can you do two parties? One for your mom's friends and one for your friends?

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Yeah, people were the same way about finding out the sex (and now everyone's mad because I didn't immediately inform them when we did end up finding out). Apparently pregnancy means that you have no personal business anymore.
I'm really glad to hear it's not just my crazy family/friends who are like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I don't have the same problems with the guest list though...can you do two parties? One for your mom's friends and one for your friends?
Except for her few coworkers (Seriously...who tells a coworker that they never see or talk to outside of work that they want to come to that person's RELATIVE'S baby shower??) her friends aren't really the problem...even my friends don't really know each other and are a huge weird demographic combo of hoighty-toighty church-going middle aged women, young moms/families, and my eccentric art-school woodsy friends.

It's starting to sound fun, though...and like a REALLY good opportunity to videotape people's interactions.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

As for names, DH and I agree on one. ONE name. I wasn't going to tell anyone but I let it slip to my mom and she hates it. She flat out said "I am NOT calling my granddaughter that" so now I call her Crazy Grandma-- the one who won't "know" my daughters name. Haha.

As for showers, my closest friends are throwing one and also want a guest list. I have no idea who to invite! I want to keep it small but I don't want anyone to feel left out. Ugghhhh.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

Today!

I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonPitbullLvr View Post
As for names, DH and I agree on one. ONE name. I wasn't going to tell anyone but I let it slip to my mom and she hates it. She flat out said "I am NOT calling my granddaughter that" so now I call her Crazy Grandma-- the one who won't "know" my daughters name. Haha.
I'm a naturally irritable person (and pregnancy apparently enhances that) but this would make me really mad.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

My MIL threw my shower. I didn't really nessecarily want one mostly because I hardly knew anyone here at the time so I figured I didn't have anyone to invite so whats the point lol BUT then I realized that this was almost as big a deal for her as it was for me. her FIRST GRANDBABY. So she threw the shower, we invited the few people I knew and then she invited a bunch of her friends that watched Brian grow up. I didn't know them but thats ok, I didn't know anyone lol. It was nice to meet them though and we've gone to see some of them a few times since when MIL is in town.

In the end I'm glad we had it. it was a great time and people were SO generous.

We came up with a cute idea for the shower too. In the invitation we requested everyone bring a bead of some sort and I was going to put them all together into my birthing necklace it was really cool and I still have the necklace in my keepsake box. I wore it when I was in labor. it was like having a little piece of everyones love and support with me

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Last edited by sparks19; 02-08-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

If you don't want a shower, don't have one! I absolutely, positively did not want a wedding shower, but got talked into one by my mother in law. It was a really nicely done party with food and nice people, but it awkward and awful and I felt so gift grubby. I hated it. If I ever have a kid I will absolutely 100% veto a shower.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
We aren't telling anyone either. I can't believe how many people ask and expect us to just tell them everything. Lol. My hubby has started telling anyone who asks that we will be naming the baby Wolfgang. No middle or last name. Just Wolfgang. Lol. That usually shuts them up.
That's what I ended up doing. Anybody that asked got a silly name, it was fun watching their eyes bulge. lol. When Sam was born I wanted to announce on facebook that his name was Reince Preibus >insert last name<, just to mess with people. But his real name got announced before I had a chance.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

I feel weird for being one of the few here who is going to have three different showers... And is inviting whoever wants to come because to me, that equates to more free stuff! Lol!

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

I called Clive rex while I was pregnant, since we didn't share the name. I think some people actually thought we were calling him that, since I'm the weird dog person

I didn't have a shower because I hate gatherings

regarding names, we didn't care about anyone's opinion as long as we liked the name I don't think my MIL was the biggest fan of his name, but she already had a chance to name her own kids and got over it, lol.