Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Tortie cats tend to be feistier. And in horses, there's the phrase "chesnut mare, beware". (I'm not a horse person, so I can't speak for the veracity of it)

What's odd is that I don't find orange male cats to have the same attitude that their tortie sisters have. Orange females, yes.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

I know a tortie girl that was definitely a horror. Her orange daughter is a total sweetie, though.

Zander's a red, too. I guess that explains some of his quirks.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 PM
overdogged

The longer I work in veterinary medicine, the more I abhor Labs. Some of the *nastiest* dogs I know are Labradors. And even when they're nice, they're so frequently huge and uncooperative and wild. It gets old really really fast.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
The longer I work in veterinary medicine, the more I abhor Labs. Some of the *nastiest* dogs I know are Labradors. And even when they're nice, they're so frequently huge and uncooperative and wild. It gets old really really fast.
But a good Lab is a good dog. And they are the reason I still love Labs. But yes, the amount of untrained, under exercised dogs that come through is quite annoying. Even more so when the owner just shakes it off and says it is because they are "x" breed.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Puppy Dog

He he = my sister has a sweet but hyperactive choc lab! That thing would drive me batty! Good thing she is such a sweetheart.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
...Our worst dog is at work is a Lab... No, she's not outright aggressive, but she's a compulsive thief, incredibly destructive, unbelievably rude (and I have rude dogs), and plays in a totally inappropriate manner (like, grabbing her friends by the collar and shaking them).
Getting her leash on is like wrestling with an alligator, and waiting for her to calm down isn't an option because she bites you. Hard. On the face...
Yet another example of a Lab being in the wrong hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Pretty much the same reason my vet isn't a Lab fan. Yet, he's always liked Caleb-from the very first time I took him in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
But a good Lab is a good dog. And they are the reason I still love Labs. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
...But yes, the amount of untrained, under exercised dogs that come through is quite annoying. Even more so when the owner just shakes it off and says it is because they are "x" breed.
Are you embarrassed to have the same breed when you see stuff like that? I tend to mumble under my breath something like, "And that's why Labs have a bad image" or "Another example of someone who shouldn't have a Lab."
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Are you embarrassed to have the same breed when you see stuff like that? I tend to mumble under my breath something like, "And that's why Labs have a bad image" or "Another example of someone who shouldn't have a Lab."
At times. There was someone who brought in a Lab puppy for vaccinations a few weeks ago. The thing was a nightmare. No impulse control at ALL. Would not hold still, constantly mouthed, did whatever the heck it felt like, and was just obnoxious. The owner just passed it off as it "being a Lab puppy". Um, no. Sadie was a Lab puppy, and by the time she was around 16-20 weeks old she would hold a sit/stay with a tennis ball being bounced right beside her (her most FAVORITE THING EVER). We had a horrible time trying to get her to not jump up on people, but that was about the only "bad" thing she did because we, you know, trained her.

A good friend of mine doesn't understand why I want to get a Lab (and not some other type of retriever) as my next dog because, you know, Labs are insane dogs that can't settle, don't behave, and are just generally idiots. Blackie and Sadie were definitely not like that.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Behavior Nerd

I have a client who has lost some of his vision. One of the higher ups at the state's "services for the blind" suggested that, since the waitlist for a program dog is several years long, he "go to the shelter and get a black lab" to train as a guide. o.O He did just that and his parents and he both didn't really realize that black labs (yes, the color thing again) didn't just *know* some of the skills for guidework. smh! Thank goodness they are willing to spend the money to hire someone to help AND that the dog he picked actually seems to be a decent candidate!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Yet another example of a Lab being in the wrong hands.
Absolutely. The number of lunatic Labs we see is REALLY unfortunate. Most are in daycare because their owners can't stand them. And yep, they all thought, "But Labs are supposed to be GOOD DOGS." As if they're robots that come pre-programmed.

But there are good ones! We do have a few that I just adore, who are very much still Labby and very lovable for it.

I don't think I'd ever get one with the exception of a senior. I LOVE senior Labs. They're like... a grandpa who you know used to have a really wild life, and now they just sit back and chuckle. LOL.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Big Dog

I know in our area at the Obedience classes, the wildest dogs are usually Labs but they are usually 8 or 9 months old with no previous training so what can you expect. At least they are bringing them to classes and trying to train them. Just wish they would start a little earlier.