Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Fat, get him fat.
Did I mention his other breed is most likely boxer?
With my luck he'd just be a fat hyper dog with blown out knees and bad hips!
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I wonder if some people actually believe they are different breeds.
Many people do.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Top Dog

My puppy is only a lab mix and he is absolutely insane. I can imagine!

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

My pet peeve is "Golden lab" or "yellow retriever". REALLY?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I wonder if some people actually believe they are different breeds.
They do. One of Adam's friends was talking about how insane one of the dogs his girlfriend watches is, then followed the thought up with how he can't wait to get a black Lab. Everyone's reaction was confusion as to why he wanted a dog he just described as The Worst Dog Ever, and he clarified and said "That's only chocolate Labs."
Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Every chocolate I know is naughtier than every black lab.

We were at an agility seminar this weekend talking to the trainer and discussing behavioral differences in red (heavy red line) dogs and black line dogs, in reference to Aussies and dobes.

Is it a fine science? No, but sometimes it seems to fit very well.

Probably having far more to do with the "breeding for colors" than anything but it makes sense in a strange way, chocolates have been bred for color more than the alternatives, if I remember correctly.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Every chocolate I know is naughtier than every black lab.

We were at an agility seminar this weekend talking to the trainer and discussing behavioral differences in red (heavy red line) dogs and black line dogs, in reference to Aussies and dobes.

Is it a fine science? No, but sometimes it seems to fit very well.

Probably having far more to do with the "breeding for colors" than anything but it makes sense in a strange way, chocolates have been bred for color more than the alternatives, if I remember correctly.
I definitely agree breeding for color does have an effect. However, it's really interesting that in Europe where the belgian shepherd varieties can be born alongside each other people still swear there are temperament differences according to coat length/color.

In collies I hear a lot that smooths are sharper, and tris are more naughty/feisty. I thought that was silly, but having seen several litters of collies grow up the tris really were pretty naughty/feisty compared to their merle or sable littermates.

Kaia is a tri borzoi, and she's pretty dang feisty/active/naughty for a zoi. Her breeder told me she was really glad she could place Kaia with me because she would have been too much dog for a lot of borzoi homes.

Kaia had nine puppies, 6 silver sables(grizzle) and 3 tris. The tris were all SOOO BAD! lol I would call them by name and the silvers would all come running and wagging their tails. But Marya would just stare at me like "EFF YOU!" and run away. There really was a huge difference in temperament between them, and it was really surprising. Kaia wasn't that oppositional, but she was definitely more of a feisty destructotron than her silver sable bro.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I attribute Rumor's psychotic brattiness to her being red.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

I'd bet color genes are somehow linked to behavior genes. Not all of them, but enough to make a difference. In mice, the agouti "wild type" pattern, which is similar to sable in dogs, is known to be more wild-tempermented than white or black mice.

Just look at the Belyaev fox experiment - color is one of the physical things that changed when they selected solely on temperment.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
I'd bet color genes are somehow linked to behavior genes. Not all of them, but enough to make a difference. In mice, the agouti "wild type" pattern, which is similar to sable in dogs, is known to be more wild-tempermented than white or black mice.

Just look at the Belyaev fox experiment - color is one of the physical things that changed when they selected solely on temperment.
That experiment was really fascinating. I do think lack of adrenalin (tameness as they were selecting for) has an effect on how white spotting is expressed.

My suspicion is that the color itself isn't really responsible for the differences in behavior. But when genes are physically located near each other on the DNA strand, they tend to get "unzipped" in the same clump when DNA is divided into sex cells. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some behavior genes are physically close to the spots where coat length and color genes are and tend to get clumped with them.