Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Plus One

Default I always find it ridiculous

That with how popular labs are people STILL seem to have this image of a perfectly calm dog that is very easy all of the time. Especially with Marley and Me and how popular that was.

A friend is getting a dog and she texted me tonight about how they'd decided on a Labrador "because they're such a calm, easy, friendly dog" .

Then I looked round my living room to see the German shepherd/ bc (soo high energy) entertaining himself with a bone, the springer ( are they not completely hyper?) cuddling my dad, the Jrt lying in front of the fire and the 3 labs wrestling with each other. Yep labs are always super calm lol

Obviously this goes for most stereotypes but this one never ceases to amaze me that people still think labs are always super easy, calm dogs. Mine certainly can be but they are certainly full of life (even the 11 year old!).
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Animal Lover

I had a Lab, Rocky who was an easy, calm dog all of his life. I have met a lot of Labs at the shelter I worked at and most were not calm. Most of them were younger though and untrained. But there were older Labs who were excited about everything, which is great! And they will play fetch til the cows come home. They were a lot of fun to work with and I would have taken some of them home in a second!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

My golden is the crazy one. The border collies, easy. One just stares at the cat, one just gets a toy and brings it to me to show me then if I ignore her, she'll just lay there and amuse herself. The golden is another case...
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

My golden was nuts. I can only imagine what labs are like.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

I had a calm, VERY easy Lab.

At my work, my fave dogs to train are the Labs - because they are NUTS, have no off-switch, drive leaking out of every pore, and will go until they literally drop. They're fun
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I love Labbies. But there is a reason I have blocked out all memory of them before they turned 3. LOL I have met some calm(ish) Labs, even as puppies...but most are not. I hate it when people don't realize that.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

yeah i have heard that about goldens/labs & such when my ACDs (high energy) our JRT (high energy who was actually the best puppy i ever had) & Yumi, the shepherd mix are actually "calmer" then most labs/goldens i have seen... if course, i also give them adaquate excersise.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

I know!
I was camping with some friends who asked what Kailey might be mixed with. I said lab was a possibility because of her temperament and they asked if she was really calm.
They have a lab, and she's psycho. Only reason she seems docile at home is because she lives with four avid runners, so she gets lots of exercise.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

That does annoy me...labs were the perfect family dog 20 years ago when kids played ball outside all evening and families went camping or did outdoor activities together on the weekend...

not so much the perfect family dog when you're sticking it in an ex-pen and running to ballet, soccer, working late, and then spending the weekend in front of the x-box

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
That does annoy me...labs were the perfect family dog 20 years ago when kids played ball outside all evening and families went camping or did outdoor activities together on the weekend...
THIS. We had a lab (more like 15 years ago) growing up, and although she was a crazy puppy, we ran around with her in the yard and wore each other out! She was perfect for us. Yes, when she was 2+years old, she was a polite, calm, sweet little dog, but as a puppy she had CRAZY energy! We have video of her as a 3 or 4 month old puppy, pulling me (age 4) around the yard by my shirt, lol!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)