Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Active Pup

Exclamation Urgent: Please help- Dog with Ear Infection

I have a 7 year old newfoundland with a severe ear infection that will NOT go away. Weve took her to the vet had her ears cleaned , gave her anibiotic ear drops and ear clensers. Nothing seems to work. It came back again and is so bad, she has brown stuff running out of her ears. It kills me to see her go through so much discomfort and nothing seems to work. Ive tried luke warm water with vinegar and peroxide and NOTHING works. PlEaSe someone give me advise on any solutions or products i can try. Thank you VERY much. ~**Shanna**~
Old 12-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Felurian

The best advice is to find a better vet! Much as I dislike antibiotics, it sounds like a course of ingested antibiotics, rather than topical antibiotics, would have been a better choice.

The brown stuff could be from ear mites, too, which a vet should check for.

The best thing you can do for her immediately is to support her immune system with top-notch nutrition. And I'd go to www.greatdanelady.com to read up on that, as well as possibly finding some good information on ear infections and discharges.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Active Pup

Thumbs up Ear Problems

GO TO THE HEALTH FOOD STORE OR HERB STORE ASK FOR (( Pau D' Arco Extract )) COMES IN A 2 fl oz BOTTLE. ABOUT $12. I USE THIS ON MY DOG. GOOD FOR ALOT OF OTHER THINGS TOO. CLEAN THE EARS WITH IT REAL GOOD THEN SQUIT SOME IN SWISH AROUND. CAN GIVE ORALLY ALSO. TO GET RID OF INFECTION (but according to my dog's looks dont taste that great) HOPE THIS HELPS YOU. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS E MAIL ME AT [email protected] JUST PUT ATT: SOMETHING ABOUT EARS AND ILL KNOW ITS YOU. THX HAGD.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:42 AM

I'm agreeing with Renee....FIND ANOTHER VET. My vet won't automatically prescribe oral antibiotics, which I appreciate...however when the ear drops won't work, it is necessary. Ear infections are painful when severe, and if not treated properly it will harm his hearing, impair his balance (which is a huge danger...falling down stairs, etc.). Did they do a culture?? Did they clean out his ears at all? The pus can become impacted when combined with alot of debris. The drops would have at least loosened that so that the vet can properly clean the canal. The antibiotic drops will not be effective if the ear isn't cleaned first. Your poor pup...it must be driving him crazy.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Active Pup

Thank you guyz SO much. I will look into that ear cleaner you talked about and i will be seeing a new vet asap. Again thank you so much for the advise. Im sure my baby wil b feeling better in no time. O and another question, can water in her ears be causing this infection? Like when i give her a bath, and water gets in her ears? Thanx!
~**Shanna**~
Old 12-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Felurian

Water can harbor bacteria and encourage its growth. If you have a problem getting water in her ears when you bathe her, get some surgical cotton (not cotton balls - they're too small) and tear off a wad big enough to gently put into her ears, being very careful not to push it into the ear canal. You should ask the new vet about this and ask him/her to show you how to do it. Dogs' ears are extremely sensitive and you just have to be so very careful when you're dealing with them.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-27-2004, 01:42 PM

I think of it the same as people's ears.......keep the water out. If you've known anyone with 'swimmers' ear....it is awful..sometimes the water doesn't drain out, even when you tip your head. Never get water in your pup's ear. As Renee stated......they are extremely sensitive. Gently wipe the entire ear with a cotton ball...gently being the key word here. And, gently wipe out the ear canal with a fresh cotton ball. Look online for a diagram of the dog's canal shape........so that you will know how to clean his ears. Keep his ears cleaned after you have the infection cleared.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Active Pup

Will oral anibiotics be more effective than ear drops? i think it was mentioned above. And again thank you guys so much for the help- i really appreciate it
Old 01-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Active Pup

A newfoundland with ear trouble? my mom has one thats 12 with cronic ear problems! Used to be because we couldn't keep him on land! he was always in the water! now she cleans them weekly and treats them with otomax. could be a yeast infection...they can be treated internally or topically or both depending on the severity. Mite would have a black really waxy appearance. The yeast will stink terrible and be normally brownish rather then black. Have had a vet prescribe Miconozole for the yeast infection topically along with Fulvicin p/g antibiotic internally GOOD LUCK! PS: get a new vet! lol
Fritzi-13 yr German Shepherd, Kaycee-7yr Golden, Xoom-4yr Malinois, Zona-1yr Cattle Dog, Jolet-7mos. Malinois, Clinton-7mos Choc Lab. Clinton is a rescue dog he was found wondering the streets of Clinton Oklahoma. Xoom was also a rescue dog and spayed but she is the reason I fell in love with the Malinois and bought Jolet! We have high hopes for her! We are busy titling Zona in obedience and herding...maybe agility next! Fritzi was my obedience dog a long time ago! She is now retired! She is an OTCH dog! Hope I can get Zona and Jolet that far as well!
I also have 8 barn kitties and 40 cows.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Big Dog

I, too, have a Newfoundland. She did have ear problems when she was younger.

One of the best solutions is a mixture of gentian violet, alcohol and boric acid see this web site www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

Moisture can definitely be a problem, as can diet. Diet is what caused my girls problems - specifically, carbohydrates.

Good luck - I do hope the ears clear up quick.