Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default Kindle fire... Anyone have one?

My mother in law has decided to get Hannah (and us of course... Family gift lol) a kindle fire for Christmas

I have a kindle reader and love it but have no experience with a kindle fire. For Hannah it is going to be mostly books and educational and fun games and for us.. Everything else lol

Experiences?

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

My dad has one. We got him one for his birthday

he just plays games on it so can't really say anything on reading books on it. I still prefer the older Kindle for reading but it is a nice little ereader/tablet

Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Jerk.

I have one, but I couldnt leave well enough alone and rooted it and install a full Android ROM onto it. I like it much better as a full Android tablet.

As a reader and education tool it should be great.

ETA: for the ereader part I reversed the black and white, black background white letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 PM
<--------Orson

I have a nook reader and I also have a nook tablet. Love them both more than I ever thought I would. I have my reasons for choosing nook over kindle....but honestly, I think kindle will be a great tool for miss Hannah
Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

cool. Thanks for the input. Yeah it's mostly going to be Hannahs lol. I told my mother in law that I was thinking of getting her the LeapPad and she said "Well why don't I just buy her... and you... a real tablet" and I was like UH because they are crazy expensive and I would never ask you to do that LOL and she says "Well the kindle fire isn't that expensive and I think it would be great for Hannah to play her games on." hannah uses my phone for her games and such quite a bit so it will be nice to get my phone back and she can play with the kindle fire lol (seems crazy to be saying this about a 5 year old LOL but she's very responsible and careful with her things... she's been playing with my phone on her own since she was three lol)

and when she's not using it... I can use it

So they have a good selection of apps and stuff?

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
cool. Thanks for the input. Yeah it's mostly going to be Hannahs lol. I told my mother in law that I was thinking of getting her the LeapPad and she said "Well why don't I just buy her... and you... a real tablet" and I was like UH because they are crazy expensive and I would never ask you to do that LOL and she says "Well the kindle fire isn't that expensive and I think it would be great for Hannah to play her games on." hannah uses my phone for her games and such quite a bit so it will be nice to get my phone back and she can play with the kindle fire lol (seems crazy to be saying this about a 5 year old LOL but she's very responsible and careful with her things... she's been playing with my phone on her own since she was three lol)

and when she's not using it... I can use it

So they have a good selection of apps and stuff?
It does but a lot of the good stuff gets buried. I'd look online and find one you wanted before going into the store.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Owned by Belgians

I have one. I use it a lot. Okay, so I play solitare so much in the evenings that it burns the image into the glass. LOL! But, I really keep it with me on the sofa so I can check email and facebook during commercials. I also like the TV listings app, because my TV is on antenna and I never know what is on.

Other than that, I use it to read books, obviously, I also have magazine subscriptions on it. I like not having paper magazine that I feel guilty about having to recycle. And I use a lot of other apps, too.

I'm very happy with mine. It is lacking a camera, so it's not like it could be an ipad substitute. I hear the new larger Kindle will have a camera, but it is only front facing for communication apps.

Anyway, I liked that it was priced at $199, but I never thought I'd use it so much. I also have a regular kindle and an iPod Touch 4G.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
I have one. I use it a lot. Okay, so I play solitare so much in the evenings that it burns the image into the glass. LOL! But, I really keep it with me on the sofa so I can check email and facebook during commercials. I also like the TV listings app, because my TV is on antenna and I never know what is on.

Other than that, I use it to read books, obviously, I also have magazine subscriptions on it. I like not having paper magazine that I feel guilty about having to recycle. And I use a lot of other apps, too.

I'm very happy with mine. It is lacking a camera, so it's not like it could be an ipad substitute. I hear the new larger Kindle will have a camera, but it is only front facing for communication apps.

Anyway, I liked that it was priced at $199, but I never thought I'd use it so much. I also have a regular kindle and an iPod Touch 4G.
awesome. Sounds perfect for what we will be using it for

Do you know if you can get netflix on it?

the camera I don't really care about. I use my phone for that anyway lol so no biggie

G.K. Chesterton

Old 10-22-2012, 03:06 PM
<--------Orson

I do believe you can get the netflix app on kindle fire.

My nook tablet came with netflix (and we already have a netflix account) and it works AWESOME. Not a hiccup, bump, or shimmy. I signed into our netflix account while I was at barnes and noble to test out the stream (before I bought the tablet)........I had my doubts on how well it would run, LOL After seeing how well it streamed, I was sold and had her wrap it up! LOL
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Owned by Belgians

I have, and use, the netflix app on mine.

I even use it to watch movies in bed sometimes. No cable in my house.