Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Active Pup

Angry Dogs have cough...HELP!

I dropped off my two rottweilers for 6 days at a kennel. I got a call yesterday that the male (morro) had a cough..and so I thought of Kennel cough, but he had his bordatella in sept. The Lady I spoke with at the kennel said it sounded like a frog was in his throat...Today (before) I picked them up, she called to say his collar was really tight and that there was a raw spot on his neck ( after getting home and settled I saw no raw spot on his neck...) and his collar had never been tight before ( when I picked him up they had taken his collar)..and I was shocked..and she said after she took the collar off he seemed to be doing better..so I felt relieved.. I picked the dogs up around 3pm..its now 11pm, and my other rotty the female (lily, who is also pregnant due in 3-4 weeks ) just started coughing like the other dog..her collar isnt tight..I called the kennel (even though they are closed to say how upset I was and that I was going to take the dogs to a vet, and might expect vet. compensation.) ..They both have had their Bordatella shots..but they have a harsh, hacking cough, as if they are trying to get something out of their throat..anyone have any ideas? please!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:39 AM
It wasn't me

It's best to have your vet check them over. While the vaccine helps give them immunity it doesn't mean it's 100% effective all the time. It could also be something else like there might actually be something stuck in their esophogus or stomach. Would they have had access to chewing up blankets, bones, etc.? Also sometimes coughing is a sign of internal parasites. But yuour best bet is going to be a trip to vet.'s office to rule out anything harmful.

John's website, http://www.colorcrayon.com

change is the only constant in work and life
Old 01-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, a vet is your best bet. It could be anything from an upper respiratory infection to heartworms. Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Show Dog

oh yes go to the vet, my daughter borded her boxer after getting the shot and she still got kennel cough. had to trest the whole house cuz we first thought it was just a cold and didn't have her checked right away!!

TO LOVE AND BE LOVED IS LIFES GREATEST TREASURE
Old 01-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Active Pup

I'm going to take my dogs to the vet, should the kennel reimburse us for the vet fees, if it is something they picked up there? thank you
Old 01-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Show Dog

we didn't get reimbursed, couldn't PROVEshe got it from them

TO LOVE AND BE LOVED IS LIFES GREATEST TREASURE
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 PM
RedyreRottweilers

First off, I would NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES board a pregnant female. I don't go to dog shows or anything else that might bring in contaminants to my dogs when I have a pregnant bitch. HOPE that the KC is ALL she has picked up there.

If it were my bitch and she were pregnant, I would NOT TREAT this KC with ANY DRUGS WHATSOEVER. She will get over it in a week or so just fine.

Vaccines are available for 3 pathogens that cause contagious cough in dogs, and there are at least 13 known pathogens that cause it. I show dogs a lot and I dont' bother with this (IMO) useless vaccine.

Best of luck with your bitch, and I hope the puppies turn out ok.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

I read or heard from someone that recent studies indicate that the bordatella vaccine may only be effect for 6 months, rather than a full year. I don't know if that is true or not.

As far as the liability of the kennel, it would depend on your state or jurisdiction, but I question why they would be liable. Unless there was some specific statute that said otherwise, I would suspect that the kennel would only be liable for negligence. I doubt that there would be any basis for holding them strictly liable. Unless they knew they were exposing your dog to one they knew was infected, it would be hard to show that they acted unreasonably. I think this may just be a case where bad things some times happen to good people and its not anyone's "fault." One could also argue that that was a risk that you assumed when you chose to board your dog. Not that I am saying its wrong to board dogs, but while everyone hopes that it won't happen, it sometimes does.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Active Pup

I dont normally board my dogs. I just moved to Arizona, and when I was in Texas I had a dog sitter..and never boarded dogs, cause I dont like to for this reason.. but in this case I had no choice, since I dont know anyone here to pet sit. I will never again board my dogs, I will now search for someone to take care of them from home.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Twin 2.0

Many boarding places require the 6-month Bordatella vaccine because there hasn't been too much to show the effectiveness of the yearly one. Or at least that's what our board of advising vets tells us.

That's a shame they picked up a cough though. I hope they get better soon! But I would have to question the quality of a place that will agree to take on a pregnant bitch...my place won't board pregnant dogs or any animal that is diabetic. There are too many things that could happen in both cases.