Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I live somewhat near her. I have seen the facility myself, but never met her. My best in-real-life dog friend went down there and met her and she was quite nasty to them. Saying things similar to what I said and talking a lot of trash about Louisiana and the people in it. My friend was a HUGE fan of hers before she went down there to meet her... Now, not so much.
Honestly, I can understand her attitude. I've been in the south, lived there, and there's a lot of faux "nice" people who turn around and gossip once they've got the inside story. You have no privacy. Everyone is constantly in your business. It's a culture shock from the other areas of the US. On top of the show and her publicity from it. I can imagine having people stop by when you're trying to get things done aren't helpful, either. Especially when a lot of people only want to chat, not actually do anything productive.

That is a lot of dogs, lot of budgeting. On top of everything else in her life. People don't have to like it, but I can certainly understand it. Donations and adopting a dog are really the only things that ACTUALLY help. Fundraisers aren't always helpful, especially when they can cost more to set up in time and money than what they bring in.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

My thing is, she is portraying a breed that is already seen as vicious and nasty. She doesn't need to enforce that stereotype by being vicious and nasty herself.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
My thing is, she is portraying a breed that is already seen as vicious and nasty. She doesn't need to enforce that stereotype by being vicious and nasty herself.
Just because she's not sunshine and butterflies, it doesn't mean she's vicious and nasty. Again, culture shock. Very different ideas of "rude" and "polite".
Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Just because she's not sunshine and butterflies, it doesn't mean she's vicious and nasty. Again, culture shock. Very different ideas of "rude" and "polite".
Naw, she's very rude. Most of us have watched her for a long time. She treats her volunteers just as rough. She's most definitely overwhelmed but the clear solution is to not become another spindle top, step back, collect, and deal with what's on hand.

She warehouses dogs which wouldn't bother me that much but they live in kennels in a warehouse, literally. She has too many dogs, turns away helpers with a harsh word, and does not graciously accept assistance.

Do I think she does right by the dogs? She tries. I've donated plenty of gear and time to them before, but like I said its not smoothly and carefully run. Mistakes happen but the fact they are repeated and her choices are questionable at best make me very uncomfortable with her being any sort of "face" for the breed.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Adrianne said it perfectly. I don't think she's a bad person or running a horrible operation, what she is doing is probably better than nothing most of the time.

But I sure as heck wouldn't be picking her of all people to try and help give pit bulls OR parolees a positive image.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Telling fans to "f*ck off" and getting pissed off because not everyone flocked to help you when Isaac flooded entire counties doesn't have anything to do with culture shock...it has everything to do with she is just downright rude. When Isaac flooded her, she had helpers, but she didn't understand why EVERYONE didn't come to help her. (Because they couldn't have been having issues with their own houses being underwater...no way!) She then began to trash talk Louisiana and the people that live here because not everyone in the world came to help her.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Top Dog

I LOVE the show!

Eta: if you like Villalobos's Facebook page, instead of pit bull and parolees' page, you get a lot of insight into what goes on outside of the show, too.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

I won't watch it nor will I support her. I live in Louisiana (an hour from her), and I've been in the "pit bull" world for almost 14 years. I know too much, I suppose you could say.

The best thing that could happen is that whole operation be shut down. The nicest thing I could say about it is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I won't watch it nor will I support her. I live in Louisiana (an hour from her), and I've been in the "pit bull" world for almost 14 years. I know too much, I suppose you could say.

The best thing that could happen is that whole operation be shut down. The nicest thing I could say about it is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".
I was wondering how you felt. I trust your judgment and was going to pm you , but ya beat me here. lol
I was watching more and the more I watch , i just feel uneasy.

I wish I could find a good local rescue. Not just batshit crazy ones. ugg
Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I won't watch it nor will I support her. I live in Louisiana (an hour from her)
Do you ever drive by to see if they use their "yards"?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.