Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Default pitbulls and paroless

what ya think about it? I never watched the show before and recently my stepmom has yammered me into watching because they recently moved the rescue to our area and she wants to volunteer. i am going to look them up on the web and just wanted oponions due to peeps i trust. so i came here.

so what say ye , good place or bad?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

I don't know about the place, but I really like the show. I think because of the show they might be kind of full with volunteers. On last night's show she said something about a "volunteer day", I think maybe people can only come in on a certain day of the week, after all, it's the parolees job to take care of the dogs. If volunteers do it all they are out of work.

The thing I love about them is that they are realistic about pit bulls. They know their propensity for dog aggression, and do get very nervous whenever an adopter has a small dog. But they don't write off every adopter that has another dog, they just know they have to be careful in matching them with the right dog. They show people that a dog aggressive dog can be an absolute love with people.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

You know I kind of like the woman, and I think she is trying and doing fairly well with what she has available, but she leans into sort of 'warehousing' dogs. I don't know the day-to-day of what she does with the dogs though so it's hard to say.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

i am seeing that , i have started to watch past episodes. we would not really be doign things at the place , but would like to gather supplies and bring to them. my kids are not strong enough to do more right now , but want to help how i can. the pit problem is so bad here , and i have never even heard of this place until this last month .

is she no kill? i am uneasy with no kill rescues and warehousing. will have to watch more. the parolee part i am fine with , to many criminals in my family to not be lol
Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

ow , no , watching the first epi this season , that is the Industrial Canal NOT the Mississippi River. UGGGGGGG I work as a dispatcher and that just irked me.

Going to watch more.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

I just got into the show a couple weeks ago, and I really enjoy it. She is doing good work for both the people and the dogs in her care, and seems to have a really realistic mentality about it all.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

I like the show I know some think she's in over her head, etc, but I really like them. I think they are realistic about the breed, very knowledgeable, yet open. They won't just turn a home down just because other rescues might.

But yeah, I enjoy the program.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

I've questioned the bit on warehousing dogs, too. But from what I can tell, the parolees get their own group of dogs to feed, water, care for and exercise. So they are all being looked after, unlike other warehousing situations where they just sit in their runs all day long.

I do like that they are realistic. They don't write off every person they see, but they do try hard to find that perfect dog for the situation.

I used to watch the show a lot, but I haven't since we canceled cable.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

I have watched a few shows and find myself likeing them. so i think i will try and get something together to do for them with my kids. maybe a treat drive or something , i will have to think on it.

:]
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM
We are Home.

maybe make them some treats? I knwo Bev would love to do that maybe the twins would too? It could help the younger ones with fractions and what not too. Win Win LOL

I havent seen the show since we dont have cable.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie