Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
So I learned something today. Lol. Do reputable breeders breed white GSD's?
sure they are, just ask them
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

The Afghan hound standard states "All colors are permissible, but color or color combinations are pleasing; white markings, especially on the head, are undesirable."

......then someone posts pictures of black and white Afghan hounds and the angry mob attacks with accusations of spaniels and border collie crosses.

But Afghan hounds come in pretty much any color you can get, red, blue, silver, various Brindles and dominos. Of course people can never seem to agree wether the dog is silver or blue, red or cream!

Fun fact though: An afghan hound's color is listed as the color of it's saddle (the short hair down their back) so a dog that appears blonde could really be considered red because it's saddle is a redder color than the rest of it.
Other fun fact, Afghan hounds can go through amazing changes in coat color through their lives.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Kung Pow Fish

American Bully
Pretty clear cut, no fuss lol

ABKC:
COLOR

All colors and patterns are permissible except the color merle.

Disqualifying Faults: Color Merle

BBCR:
COLOR

All colors and patterns are permissible except merle
Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
What I've heard is that B&T is dominant and it could eventually lead to the breed becoming mostly B&T. I've also heard that it's a sign that another breed has been mixed in because B&T isn't found in bulldogs. Though it is found in some terriers, so that doesn't make sense to me. Whatever the case is, that's the standard. Why aren't Dobermans and Rotties allowed to be colours other than B&T? Why must the Dogue de Bordeaux be fawn? Why can't Mastiffs be piebald? Why? It's the standard.
Well, Dobes can be black, red, fawn, or blue. Do Rottweilers naturally come in any other colors? I don't know anything about Mastiffs, but I would expect they don't come in piebald because piebald does not occur in the breed.

I understand with some breeds that only come in xyz colors because those are the colors genetically possible. What I don't understand is why certain *naturally occurring* colors are not permissible.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Aussie Obssessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post

I understand with some breeds that only come in xyz colors because those are the colors genetically possible. What I don't understand is why certain *naturally occurring* colors are not permissible.
With Aussies, Sable and Yellow were not allowed because Merle can be difficult to see on those base colors and it was believe it would lead to a higher probability of unintentional merle to merle breedings. You may ask "Why not just get rid of Merle then instead of those two other colors?" Well the simple answer is that the Aussies were known as the "Little Blue dogs" it was an important identifying characteristic that had to stay.

The English Shepherd went the other way and they decided to keep sable and yellow but ban merling. Both the Aussie and the English Shepherd had the same origins.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
Tervs are sable with a black mask, and the AKC only allows reds. I'm pretty sure they go from yellow-y sort of red through dark rich red-red, with little-to-tons of blackening on the back. There can be a little white on the toes and a small white patch on the chest, and I think the tip of the tail has to be black?

This is from memory, so I may have messed something up.
Color is a funny thing with the Belgians.

The AKC standard allows for grays now but they are not preferred. In AKC, black is a DQ for Tervs...everywhere else they are Groenendael Same with brown in AKC Belgian Sheepdogs...in AKC it is a DQ but everywhere else they are Tervs. AKC Belgian Sheepdogs can obviously only be black but there are some rare cases of dilutes or dogs with tan markings like bi-colors in GSDs, showing up. I have seen some excessive (for the breed) white on Groenendaels and that happens in the other varieties as well. High white socks, large white patches on the chest and neck, even one with an entirely white leg as a puppy (which turned gray as the puppy got older). Weirder is I have seen black dogs develop white patterns in old age, not typical graying but clear very white patterns. Dilutes can also happen in the other varieties. There is a possibility for Black Mals too, although most examples I have seen have been KNPV bred dogs so not entirely Malinois. And in an oops litter someone had with a Mal and Groen.

PyrSheps come in just about every color but excessive white, poor pigmentation and copper points are not allowed.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Well, Dobes can be black, red, fawn, or blue. Do Rottweilers naturally come in any other colors.
Although it is extremely rare, Rottweilers that are red with tan points do occur. Long hair Rotts can pop up, too.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM
The Littlest Hound

UKC says they must have a "fine streaked or striped effect" (actually the NPHA says that & UKC has to go with it ) any color's cool, including black with brindle trim... what you CAN'T have is a solid color or more than a little white on the toes & chest.

Now, when AKC got hold of the standard a few years ago, they said solid black & buckskins are cool...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't know anything about Mastiffs, but I would expect they don't come in piebald because piebald does not occur in the breed.
Mastiffs can have quite a bit of white. They discourage it because of the fear of white=deafness and other health issues(of which they already have plenty of). Strong coloring is preferred, too. The blacker the mask the better. On brindles it's the clearer the brindle the better, I believe. But "clear" doesn't necessarily mean light, if that makes sense. Just very defined, not muddy. Brindles usually have the most white, though, which is why they were highly discouraged until recent years.

But white from the bottom up does occur now and then.

All this talk of brindle actually has me thinking. I don't believe I've ever heard of a brindle Sibe. But I don't think it's ever been said that it can't happen.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

Boxers - fawn, brindle, fawn and white, brindle and white. Black/black and white isn't really black, it's "reverse brindle". White, or too much white, are not allowed. They happen, though, even with reputable breeders, as a side effect of flashy white markings.