Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

I meant different topic since this was mainly about tattoos. I personally think they are unnecessary too.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

I could see tattooing an eyelid or nose for sun protection. And if the dog/cat is under anyway, a small tattoo for ID purposes that isn't going to cause a lot of issues to heal - heck had a dobe years ago and because I was a student volunteer there, they let me put his name and a bone in one ear, and the vet tattoo in the other.

But also have had tattoo misreads, so my guys are now microchipped.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Once upon a time, a long time ago I was an avid member on bmezine... then I became a dog addict. I still have most of my mods.. but I spend more time places like here. This topic has come up here before, but in past it was from pics off of bme. In that case, bme made it clear they were documenting what people had done, and were not endorsing it. In some cases there were stories to go with pics. There were pets with piercings and ink.

Pics that had accompanying stories, it was generally either people who worked at a vet clinic in some capacity and had been let play while an animal was out, or it was a tattoo artist that had sedated their own pet.. in some cases in not so legit ways..

Back then though most of the ink was simpler designs, few full bodysuit ideas. I went looking for the gallery but as the site has changed hands in the past few years, I don't see it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto8 View Post
Not something I'd be okay with. Courtney is tattooed with an ID in her ear, and I had thought about doing it with our future pup since it's permanent ID that is visible..but I can't do it, I wouldn't want to put a pup under for something so unnecessary and I could not imagine doing it while awake.
That can sometimes backfire, especially with an animal with 'breed-ability'. Seems valuable, can likely make puppies. They can and do hack off ears for ID purposes to stop the ability to ID animals. If you are going to tattoo, inner thigh seems to be the way to go.

Horse thread on tattooing eyeliner. A lot of people don't think it does much. A handful do, and put their horses out regularly to redo it as it fades out.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...cs-479945.html

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
The amount of dogs that have been dumped with tattoos is going to not tell them it's an owned pet, really... it'll tell them it's a dog that once had an owner. Or a wolf that was once owned by somebody.
Well, if you have a tattooed dog, you do have to do a bit of legwork yourself, or else the tattoo is pretty useless (or just links back to your dog's breeder). Finn's tattoo registered with the Humane Society and in a tattoo database that veterinarians can access. It also helps that his is very legible. Will it actually work? I wouldn't know because I thankfully have never lost him, and he always has his tags on too. But I know a number of lost dogs found through rescues who have been reunited with their families based on a tattoo alone.

I know I agree with tattoos for aesthetics on animals being unethical. I'm indifferent on ID tattoos. Finn has one, I didn't disagree with his breeder doing so, but whether a breeder tattooed or not would be meh to me. I wouldn't do it myself.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
There were pets with piercings and ink.
Piercings I would have to lean towards a 'not acceptable'. It would be far too easy for an animal to get the piercing caught on something and rip it out.

I've seen various pics of pierced fish and I really don't agree with that either. Infection kills fish very quickly. And then people aren't really going to sedate or get it done professionally.

I also do not support dyed/tattooed fish. It's just an icky procedure that kills the majority of them, for profit.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
Well, if you have a tattooed dog, you do have to do a bit of legwork yourself, or else the tattoo is pretty useless (or just links back to your dog's breeder). Finn's tattoo registered with the Humane Society and in a tattoo database that veterinarians can access. It also helps that his is very legible. Will it actually work? I wouldn't know because I thankfully have never lost him, and he always has his tags on too. But I know a number of lost dogs found through rescues who have been reunited with their families based on a tattoo alone.

I know I agree with tattoos for aesthetics on animals being unethical. I'm indifferent on ID tattoos. Finn has one, I didn't disagree with his breeder doing so, but whether a breeder tattooed or not would be meh to me. I wouldn't do it myself.
Except she said herself that the tattoo would just be something that she thought of -- wouldn't be registered/traceable.

Tattooing a dog isn't exactly a new thing -- a shelter worker isn't going to see a flower in a dogs ear (for example) and think "oh, this is a beloved pet!"

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Except she said herself that the tattoo would just be something that she thought of -- wouldn't be registered/traceable.
Excuse me? Where did I say that? I said it would specifically be FOR ID purposes. I crossed off things like phone numbers and addresses because those specific things can change and then it would be useless.

Yes, it would be something that I thought of...that would be easily traced.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

That second fish had a story if I remember. Had been previously gotten with a fish hook and was rescued. Healed with a hole. They put the jewelry in, snapped a pic, removed it and the fish lived in non harassed peace in a fish tank from then on.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 PM
orange iguanas.

Nope, not okay with this.

An ID tattoo.... okay sure although I wouldn't personally do that.
But putting a design on your dog? Seriously? I don't care if it's small. That just seems... ugh I don't even have words for it. If you like how a tattoo looks get one on YOURSELF, don't subject your pet to it. It's a dog. Not an accessory.

For the record no I don't like cropping or docking either. Yeah I own a docked breed but if I had the choice, Juno would have her tail.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
As someone who is pro-crop/dock for aesthetical purposes, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to suggest that tattooing is "unethical" straight across the board. So I'm going to go against the grain and say "it depends." Something that could be completed in one session under general anesthesia, similar to an ear crop? Sure, why not. Would I personally do it? No, because I don't personally find it aesthetically pleasing.
I am pro crop and pro dock however never in a million years would I support tattooing an animal, besides id purposes like they do for horses. Being said that, I only support docking when they are tiny still, I see it as when a nurse pierce a baby's ear, it is done as newborn and you don't really remember the 'pain'.