Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

I don't like it but...it's your dog/cat. I think it's unnecessary..why not just do some henna or temporary tattoos?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

No, I don't agree with it at all. ID tattoos are one thing, as they serve a purpose, but I think tattooing designs on an animal is just cruel. They can't tell you what they want and they can't tell someone to stop.

I'd never actually seen that before, the just look awful

My Photos
Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 AM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
They can't tell you what they want and they can't tell someone to stop.
Technically speaking...neither can pets who are about to be spayed or neutered, even though the majority of us do that out of convenience (because we don't want to deal with intact males or the responsibility and maintenance of heat cycles) and not to prevent an unlikely health issue. By definition, very few elective procedures we do to our pets are necessary.

Note: I'm NOT anti-speuter.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

My original thought was hell no....but then I started thinking. Don't we pretty commonly put dogs under for cosmetic or convenience reasons already? I still do not like it but I am not as OMG! as I was when I first saw it
Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

Mine have ID tatoos, but that's as far as I'd go. I think they're silly myself, but wouldn't do anything to stop others from doing it. If they like that stuff, go ahead.

I don't like to use anesthesia for anything that isn't life threatening myself. I can't imagine some of those are possible any other way. But people put dogs under for all sorts of procedures I myself find unnecessary, but who am I?

If they love them, give them food and shelter, I can't really say anything.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Technically speaking...neither can pets who are about to be spayed or neutered, even though the majority of us do that out of convenience (because we don't want to deal with intact males or the responsibility and maintenance of heat cycles) and not to prevent an unlikely health issue. By definition, very few elective procedures we do to our pets are necessary.

Oh, Breez is totally spayed for my convenience. I am perfectly capable of keeping her away from intact males, I just donít want to deal with heats. And I have an irrational fear of pyo.
It was not an easy procedure for her either - I imagine harder on her than getting a tat under general anesthesia...
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

I know, but all the same, there are *some* benefits to that (not trying to get into a neutering debate by saying that!). Tattooing is just pointless, it doesn't benefit the pet in anyway, not to mention how long it would take to heal compared to a neuter!

My Photos
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

I get for I'd purposes but full out look how awesome this design is? No not really. If you want a unique looking dog there are a ton of crazy mixes to pick from.

As for spay/neuter thing. I know around here if you adopt the dog has to be fixed. So there really isn't a choice if you go the adoption route.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

I'd have an identification tattoo done on my dogs if it were available here...whether that was a number, star, etc . It would be something I'd have done while they were out for another procedure though. I think spays, neuters and the like are far more invasive.

Now, will I be lining up to get Nog a sleeve? No. Is extensive tattooing something I'd want done on my own pets? No. But it's not that horrible to me. (assuming, again, they were under general anesthesia).
Old 10-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
As someone who is pro-crop/dock for aesthetical purposes, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to suggest that tattooing is "unethical" straight across the board. So I'm going to go against the grain and say "it depends." Something that could be completed in one session under general anesthesia, similar to an ear crop? Sure, why not. Would I personally do it? No, because I don't personally find it aesthetically pleasing.
These were my thoughts as well. I have no issue with ear cropping, so for me to speak out against this would be hypocritical. As far as I know, the animals are put under while the tattoo is being done. So that would actually mean the tattoo would be less painful and have less aftercare than an ear crop? I don't know the logistics of it, so I'm not sure.

I think it looks kind of cool on the Sphinx cats. Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you canít eat money." ĖNative American proverb