Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Give me some ideas!

We're trying to plan our December trip, but I'm really at a loss on what I want to do!

I'm looking at the enitre month of December until the first week of January, and I want to stay somewhere between 5 and 8 nights. We want to take the dogs with us.

Normally, we stay in a cabin in the Smoky Mountains, but we're sick of that.

We're thinking about staying in the Snowshoe mountain area in WV... but the drive is far. It's pretty much a necessity, though, if we want "guaranteed" snow. It's always disappointing to get one day on the slopes if we're lucky!

There's also the option of renting a house on the beach in Florida... however, it may be too cold to be enjoyable since we've been dropping into the 40s and 50s for the past couple of Decembers.

So, the requirements are:

Must be sometime during December until the first week of January
Driveable (13 hours at most, please!)
Dog friendly (any sort of house, cabin that is individually owned). I feel so bad leaving the dogs during this trip, since it spans over the holidays!

My SUV is 4x4, so we're obviously comfortable driving in snowy mountains.

Any ideas? I'm open to anything, as I need to start getting this planned!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep

Last edited by ~Jessie~; 08-27-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Maine? I've always wanted to go there. It snows...on the BEACH!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
Maine? I've always wanted to go there. It snows...on the BEACH!
I lived in Maine for 2 years

That's such a long drive- like, 25 hours from us! I want to keep things under 13 hours, since we'll be in the car with the dogs!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Behavior Nerd

I've rented cabins in the Blue Ridge/Ellijay area of Georgia - there's a company (Sliding Rock Cabins) that has multiple nice little cabins with fenced yards that makes bringing the dogs sooooo easy!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM
<--------Orson

Well, I was going to say Canada would definitely supply the snow.......but that's a REALLY long drive for you! LOL
Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I've rented cabins in the Blue Ridge/Ellijay area of Georgia - there's a company (Sliding Rock Cabins) that has multiple nice little cabins with fenced yards that makes bringing the dogs sooooo easy!
Awesome! I'm checking those out right now

Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Resident fainting goat

Miami/Key west is really great in December.. the weather is perfectly warm breezy and nice (the "winter" cools it down from it's usual hell-like heat), the city is very dog friendly, fun and drive-able
BUT lol it's pretty close to you and EVERYONE comes down in December so it hikes up the prices for just about everything.

For some reason Ashville, North Carolina keeps coming up on "dog friendlist vacations".. I've never been but it might be worth checking out! Lol
Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Miami/Key west is really great in December.. the weather is perfectly warm breezy and nice (the "winter" cools it down from it's usual hell-like heat), the city is very dog friendly, fun and drive-able
BUT lol it's pretty close to you and EVERYONE comes down in December so it hikes up the prices for just about everything.

For some reason Ashville, North Carolina keeps coming up on "dog friendlist vacations".. I've never been but it might be worth checking out! Lol
We keep talking about going down to Miami for a weekend... but without the dogs. Haha.

I used to go to Key West all of the time when I lived in South Florida... so pretty down there! That's definitely an idea... I could always see what they have for rentals on one of the Keys

I feel like living in FL limits SO many road trip ideas! When I lived in New England, there were so many more places we would drive to. It takes 4-5 hours just for me to get out of this state!

We're still trying to figure out where to go next Spring! December is usually just our "relax around the holidays with the dogs" type trip!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
We keep talking about going down to Miami for a weekend... but without the dogs. Haha.

I used to go to Key West all of the time when I lived in South Florida... so pretty down there! That's definitely an idea... I could always see what they have for rentals on one of the Keys

I feel like living in FL limits SO many road trip ideas! When I lived in New England, there were so many more places we would drive to. It takes 4-5 hours just for me to get out of this state!
It's insane right?? Lol in New England, a few hours gets you out of the state and halfway through another one. Florida is just so huge!!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
It's insane right?? Lol in New England, a few hours gets you out of the state and halfway through another one. Florida is just so huge!!
It drives me nuts! When we lived in MA, we could go to SO many different states with less than a 10 hour drive.

Most places with a 10-15 hour drive from me are places I don't want to go! I could make it to eastern Texas, a few of the "barely" mid-west states, and as high up as WV. There just aren't many options!