Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Lord Cynical

Nope, creeping tan is caused by a modifier to the tan point gene. Doesn't happen to all dogs with tan points... only some.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/tan.html

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 PM
SevenSins

Yes, the tan is "creeping" (or in other words, not truly tanpoint like a Dobe), you can see that on her neck and the top of her head and ears. Some just "creep" more than others.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm All Ears

I dont' think that's 'creeping' though. To me it looks like the tan on the cardi or the saluki. It's not a clearly defined

I remember on the BC boards a lot the 'tricolors' had places in their hair that you could part and see light roots like Maisy's or the cardi.

I think it's a different modifier than creeping tan.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Nope, creeping tan is caused by a modifier to the tan point gene. Doesn't happen to all dogs with tan points... only some.

After 10 minutes I hate that site. Particularly the bit on Sibes/Huskies. Holy crap I've never seen more mis-identified dogs in such a concentrated area.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post

Forgot you were the one that linked that... was like "OMG THAT'S REVY". Then saw where it gave you credit

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
After 10 minutes I hate that site. Particularly the bit on Sibes/Huskies. Holy crap I've never seen more mis-identified dogs in such a concentrated area.
Uh... how?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Uh... how?
They basically call every Sibe ever agouti. And while that may be technically true, the color inheritance in Sibes is defined, and set on a scale. It's like adding creamer to your coffee. One dose lightens a little, two doses lighten a lot. Thus the difference between Black, dilute black, and grey. Difference between Wolf Grey, light grey, and silver. So on so forth. All colors are banded except dominant black and dominant black + bb, which is liver.

Their theory on the whole idea of colors in Sibes is completely backwards and makes no sense. And if they are going to call one a Wolf Grey, at least get a dog that is ACTUALLY wolf grey...and not Silver.

ETA: Regardless, that's all off topic.

So, obligatory on-topic comment is that Sibe's white coloring works a lot like creeping tan. Only it's creeping white. It's why a lot of pups lose their face masks over time.

Last edited by Lyzelle; 10-19-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Love My Mutt <3

"Shading" doesn't have to do with the A locus, which is what they are talking about...?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm All Ears

She is not going based on 'breed color' names. Just genetics. 'Silver' huskies or papillon color names like 'hound tri' aren't going to show up. 'Wolf grey' is the term she's using for agouti with a phaeomelanin dilution.

I hate to speak for her but having known Jess a long time, email her and she'll probably talk genetics with you.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
"Shading" doesn't have to do with the A locus, which is what they are talking about...?
Yes, but actual wolf grey in Sibes is much darker, which is what I'm saying. That dog is silver. It's like putting up a red and saying it's a black dog. Technically true, but it doesn't define your point very well when there are other things that are covering it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I hate to speak for her but having known Jess a long time, email her and she'll probably talk genetics with you.
Care to PM me her email address? I have a few articles she could read and look over about the color coat inheritance in Sibes. It isn't necessarily a "breed name" color like I said above. She's right at the roots, it is all agouti. But after that she gets sorta...confused. I think these articles would clear it up for her, and she could revamp her Husky colors section.