Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 PM
APBT crazy!

People are totally weird. Responsible breeders have nothing to do with the overpopulation problem. Most keep their offspring or just give them to good friends. Plus they always have homes lined up for them before the dogs are even bred.
They aren't in it for the money. They care deeply about the dogs they breed and the dogs they produce. And they make d@mn sure they won't end up in a shelter. They take the dogs back if it doesn't work out for whatever reason.
It's BYBs who are the problem, not reptuable breeders!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Delete them, I do.
Indeed.

I have one rescue and one dog from a breeder. I'm not opposed to either, but so many rescues are hard to work with. Most of them would turn me down at this point because I have an intact male and my dogs aren't "current" on vaccines (Gavroche was due for his 3-year distemper this year, but I'm not doing it for at least two more years, and neither of my dogs will get kennel cough vaccines anymore). Gavroche was an independent rescue that I got through the clinic, so I didn't have to deal with a program.

My vet/boss, who does a TON of reproduction work, bought a pug (of all breeds) from a BYB. Why? Because every rescue he attempted to get a dog from turned him down. Funny how that works.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
YOu know this is actually pretty accurate for me

when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD
I'm not a breeder, never will be a breeder, and have never had a dog from a breeder. But that's how I see Yoshi sometimes. She was $15 from the shelter but turned into a giant hole that I occasionally stand at the edge at and toss money into. XD

Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I hate the mentality of hard core rescue people that if they admit that there is such a thing as a good, responsible breeder that they have somehow lost. It's moronic and aggravating.

One of my old coworkers was like that. Trying to talk to her about good, ethical breeders was like slamming your face against a brick wall. She just would. not. give. up.
I still talk to her, she's my friend, and I love her as a person, but it got to the point where I had to tell her that we just couldn't talk about the subject anymore because she wasn't willing to even entertain the idea that was such a thing as a responsible breeder and that people who bought from breeders weren't committing heinous acts, and I wasn't willing to badmouth every person who bought a breeder puppy!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Delete them, I do.
Love it!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Lord Cynical

Any "friend" posting slime like that would find them unfriended SO fast.....

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

I'm mixed. Sorry. I have no problem with good breeders breeding to improve the breed. I'm not sure how I feel about good breeders who breed because they have people wanting puppies, when they have no intention of keeping/selling any of the puppies to breed. Not sure how often it happens though, I'm clueless about responsible breeders and their breeding practices.

But for the average person, breeders = backyard breeders, so in that case I would agree with the ads.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Indeed.

I have one rescue and one dog from a breeder. I'm not opposed to either, but so many rescues are hard to work with. Most of them would turn me down at this point because I have an intact male and my dogs aren't "current" on vaccines (Gavroche was due for his 3-year distemper this year, but I'm not doing it for at least two more years, and neither of my dogs will get kennel cough vaccines anymore). Gavroche was an independent rescue that I got through the clinic, so I didn't have to deal with a program.

My vet/boss, who does a TON of reproduction work, bought a pug (of all breeds) from a BYB. Why? Because every rescue he attempted to get a dog from turned him down. Funny how that works.
the best way to respond to crap like in the OP is to relate stories like this. it opens dialogue w/ the ignorant but open minded that want to do the right thing. the "true believers" will never convert, but at least you can reach those on the side lines.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD
Yep.

I get into it with those people occasionally, when I'm bored and feeling feisty. None have ever adequately explained how I'm making money off my dogs when I've never sold one. And I'd have to sell an awful lot of them to make back the money I've put into the dogs. (I would sell a puppy, if I ever had one to sell, mine just prefer to keep the numbers down. And I'm not going to sell my puppy. Or the one I promised to a friend.)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
I have never bought a dog from a breeder, but my next dog may very well be from a breeder. I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of flack from my rescue "friends." I may even lose some of these "friends."
I did. Lose some sort of casual friends over getting a purebred dog and from Not Rescue. Figured I didn't need that sort of person in my life anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Well, same old same old... simple answers and oversimplification are easier than thinking about the nuances of a complex issue.

Also one of my pet peeves is... it's not like no money changes hands for rescues. You're essentially buying a dog from a rescue.
^this

Quote:

XD
Oh how the truth hurts...and that is the truth...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13