Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-18-2012, 01:11 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Obviously.

Although, I never did understand how that seems to work out. All the capable dog people get the easy, healthy, sound and sane dogs while the general uneducated public gets tossed the unhealthy, money hole, insane ones that they have no idea what to do with or how to train.

It's like...irony? I'm sure there's a better word.
Hey you just called a fair portion of this forum the uneducated public. Including me.

/me covers Kim's & Webster's ears. Poor pups...s'okay...mama loves you...

:P

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Hey you just called a fair portion of this forum the uneducated public. Including me.

/me covers Kim's & Webster's ears. Poor pups...s'okay...mama loves you...

:P
No. You and most Chazzers are definitely capable dog people. LOL
Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
such sights to show you

I know where Maisy and Pip's breathe holes, food holes, and exit holes are... but where are their money holes?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Haha...I'm pretty sure it's because we know what to look for. Or, we tend to curb the issue right away instead of it festering and becoming a bigger and bigger issue. It's a lot easier to housebreak a dog that has never had the opportunity to pee in the new house, than the one that pees in the new house everyday.
Good point. Didn't think to look of it that way.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I know where Maisy and Pip's breathe holes, food holes, and exit holes are... but where are their money holes?
I don't know about your dogs but yoshis money hole is accessed by her food hole.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Good point. Didn't think to look of it that way.
The ACO I work with that has some dogs, she said Oh I have this BC mix, she would so great at agility, you gotta come see her, best agility dog ever!

Yeah...the dog was like a 75lb fluffball of OMG LEAF OMG PERSON OMG ANOTHER DOG RAWR. Fantastic focus...on everything but me... hahaha. Not that a little training wouldn't help, but I do need some sort of stable foundation to work with.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
I guess rescue dogs are good enough as long as they're for other people. I think that sums it up.
Does this make me a dog snob?

When I look at dogs - yes, rescue dogs, I have certain criteria.
Dog has to be large (little dogs with my lifestyle would be eaten by coyotes or swooped off by birds of prey. No, not kidding.)
Dog has to be good with kids, or at the very least tolerant.
Dog has to be short haired. Minimal to no undercoat.
Dog has to be comfortable living with other dogs.
Dog has to be comfortable living in a busy household.
Has to be a breed that I can put a decent recall on. We don't have a fenced yard.
Etc., etc., etc.
I'm willing to work on certain things, but the foudational temperament has to be there.

I have a house full of rescues and sloppy seconds. I have these dogs because I LIKE them, because we mesh, we jive... Whatever you want to call it, there was a connection there.

NOT because the other available rescue dogs weren't good enough.
Just because I don't choose to add a certain dog to my home and my life doesn't mean I don't think that dog is "good" enough. It means I want to give the dog the best chance of thriving in a forever home.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Every time this comes up on chaz, I'm amazed at the idea of what the "general populous" looks like to some people. We on this forum are 100,000x more dog savvy than an average dog owner. Ever single one of my friends, family members, and coworkers who wants a dog has very general things they want in a critter. Long hair, blonde fur, low shedding, plays fetch, warms the couch, likes walks, good with kids, etc. These are not people with super specific expectations. I'd say easily 95% of them could be completely satisfied with a rescue at some point, because their needs are not specific.

The only specificity I've encountered comes from people who need a dog not to look like certain breeds or be guaranteed to stay under a certain size so they can keep it in an apartment. I've yet to run into anyone who says the reason they are going to a breeder is because they need a dog who will live to be over 14, who can compete in obedience, or who will have good herding instincts. That's just not a normal dog owner. Even people with a specific breed in mind (usually due to having a former dog of the same breed) describe wonder dogs from their childhood that don't match the breed standard at all, usually from the newspaper or whatever else.

We aren't normal, guys

"Normal" dog owners would never dream of importing a dog from Europe if the dog they wanted didn't exist here. Rarely would they say, "Oh darn, there are no purebred [insert breed here] puppies available? I don't want a dog then." They'd find a similar breed or a mix and wouldn't know the difference.

I'm not suggesting we throw completely incompatible dogs at people and say, "Here, love this no matter what", but I'm saying that most people's needs aren't completely incompatible with most dogs. The reason most dogs are at shelters is because they underestimated the amount of work involved in any dog. Most of them are there because the owners couldn't balance dog + baby, or figure out how to get a dog to stop magically shedding, or realized that shoot, a 5 minute walk around the block isn't enough for a dog of any breed, really.

Disclaimer: I did not read the whole thread, just the past 3-4 pages because I need to make a zillion copies and lesson plans before tomorrow
Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Every time this comes up on chaz, I'm amazed at the idea of what the "general populous" looks like to some people. We on this forum are 100,000x more dog savvy than an average dog owner. Ever single one of my friends, family members, and coworkers who wants a dog has very general things they want in a critter. Long hair, blonde fur, low shedding, plays fetch, warms the couch, likes walks, good with kids, etc. These are not people with super specific expectations. I'd say easily 95% of them could be completely satisfied with a rescue at some point, because their needs are not specific.

The only specificity I've encountered comes from people who need a dog not to look like certain breeds or be guaranteed to stay under a certain size so they can keep it in an apartment. I've yet to run into anyone who says the reason they are going to a breeder is because they need a dog who will live to be over 14, who can compete in obedience, or who will have good herding instincts. That's just not a normal dog owner. Even people with a specific breed in mind (usually due to having a former dog of the same breed) describe wonder dogs from their childhood that don't match the breed standard at all, usually from the newspaper or whatever else.

We aren't normal, guys

"Normal" dog owners would never dream of importing a dog from Europe if the dog they wanted didn't exist here. Rarely would they say, "Oh darn, there are no purebred [insert breed here] puppies available? I don't want a dog then." They'd find a similar breed or a mix and wouldn't know the difference.

I'm not suggesting we throw completely incompatible dogs at people and say, "Here, love this no matter what", but I'm saying that most people's needs aren't completely incompatible with most dogs. The reason most dogs are at shelters is because they underestimated the amount of work involved in any dog. Most of them are there because the owners couldn't balance dog + baby, or figure out how to get a dog to stop magically shedding, or realized that shoot, a 5 minute walk around the block isn't enough for a dog of any breed, really.

Disclaimer: I did not read the whole thread, just the past 3-4 pages because I need to make a zillion copies and lesson plans before tomorrow
Totally agree with this!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

We aren't normal, guys

This is a good post.

If we were talking chazzers I might agree a bit more but when you talk all dog owners you just can't hold normal people to our standards.