Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

You are right Fran , I dont care what happens to them beyond they are housed humanely and if not adopted out they are killed humanely.

You can not save them all. It will not happen. You can educate people on spay/neuter/responsible breeding/responsible rescues , but you can not save every dog in the shelter right now. AND You can NOT educate people by insulting them or talking down to them or attacking them.

The key to the whole problem is to Educate people on the way the shelter system works and to Educate people on what responsible breeders are , to Educate people on spay/neutering , to Educate people on puppymills. The goverment licensing needs to be changed so it is illegal to pump out 1000's of puppies every 60 days . Education is the key to all theses parts of the Huge overpopulation problem.

It is not so simple as any 10 word slogan , no matter what the slogan is.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You can not save them all. It will not happen. You can educate people on spay/neuter/responsible breeding/responsible rescues , but you can not save every dog in the shelter right now. AND You can NOT educate people by insulting them or talking down to them or attacking them.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

I don't wish there was always going to be shelters because that would be wishing for irresponsible behavior.

But at the same time I hope that it never comes down to breeders being the only ones who can dictate who gets a dog and when.

The dog world is a giant intertwined ball of... Stuff. From what I've seen agility people are close, show people are close, etc. You offend one how many of their connections would be shut out to you at that time?

Like I've said I have run into pure breed dog elitism and would never want those people blocking good homes from getting a dog just because they disagreed.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:28 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
We have dogs to be our companions.. why pick a dog who won't mesh with our lives? Same as why we don't marry people we don't like or or not attracted to. Because I don't want to marry some guy because I don't like him and don't want to spend years with him does that mean I can't say I love my husband? Or my male child?

Why don't we blame those dumping, or target the breeders that ARE the problem? Why not blame the consumer? After all they are the one buying and dumping dogs... if they were more discerning of what dog they got there would be next to no dogs in shelters.

As I have said oft in the past. There is a 'simple' fix.

Force ALL breeders to be responsible for dogs for life. IF that causes dogs to be much more expensive for people.. fine that is just the way it will have to be. Chip all dogs with breeder's info. Any dog that ends up in a shelter will be offered back to the breeder, OR the breeder will be charged for that dog's stay in the shelter.

Not only would that fix the over population it would make breeders much more wary who they placed dogs with.

That solves the problem in many ways. Keeps funding to shelters and has a net result of producing less dogs whilst not stopping those doing it properly.
I would absolutely love those creating the dogs to be held responsible for those dogs for life, and I don't care if those puppies were oops puppies or intentionally bred. Those who are responsible in their breeding are already doing that, so it's certainly not an outlandish thought. I know if something happened and I could no longer keep Bean or Steve, they have somewhere to go.

But in this cash-and-carry dog breeding culture that is so prevalent, as soon as you walk that puppy off the property, that breeder's hands are washed of that pup. Cash in hand, pup out the door, that's the end of it. And if you change your mind, sorry. If you have a problem, well, it's *your* problem.

Is it a perfect solution? Of course not. Who is going to enforce it? Who is going to collect that money? Who is going to force those breeders to take those dogs back when they end up in the shelter and what becomes of those dogs then? But the idea of forcing responsibility onto breeders? Appeals to me very much.

I also do not think that shelters are blameless in this situation, either. Too many shelters have dramatically decreased their kill rates over the past several years for me to believe that shelters *have* to kill lots of dogs. But you have to make your shelter appealing to adopters, you have to make your dogs *accessible* to adopters, you have to reach out to the community and get them involved. And that's a lot of work and a lot of thinking outside the box, when it's just easier to sit back and wave your hands and blame the breeders for murdering the dogs rotting in your cement cells when you haven't even bothered to post their pictures up on Petfinder.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
The dog world is a giant intertwined ball of... Stuff.

A big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff.

(I had to do it )
Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
A big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff.

(I had to do it )

The picture is not working *CRIES*

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

I don't have a problem with people rescuing a dog. BUT its not for me. I have went that route before. Our older guy is a rescue, our cat is a rescue/stray.
Yes there a few of the same breed that I am looking for in shelters BUT the shelters can not answer the questions I need answered. Can you tell me the health history of the dog in the shelters, the longevity of said dogs family, what kind of temperament the dog is going to have? No all a shelter can do is going to guess. I don't want guesses, I want straight forward answers to the best of the persons knowledge.

If I can't get what I am looking for then I will pass. Doesn't matter if I am going breeder or rescue. It is still my money I am spending, and I am going to spend my money on what I want, not what is there. I have limited space and here once an animal comes into the home, they.do.not.leave! They are here for the rest of their life. So knowing that I have to make the choice wisely.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I'm glad that are people here who can remain calm in the face of astounding ignorance and explicate rational thinking when I am rendered incapable.

But you know, saying you need a specific kind of dog or needing to know the dog's history or background means you're saying rescue dogs aren't good enough for you. Duh.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
But you know, saying you need a specific kind of dog or needing to know the dog's history or background means you're saying rescue dogs aren't good enough for you. Duh.
Obviously.

Although, I never did understand how that seems to work out. All the capable dog people get the easy, healthy, sound and sane dogs while the general uneducated public gets tossed the unhealthy, money hole, insane ones that they have no idea what to do with or how to train.

It's like...irony? I'm sure there's a better word.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Obviously.

Although, I never did understand how that seems to work out. All the capable dog people get the easy, healthy, sound and sane dogs while the general uneducated public gets tossed the unhealthy, money hole, insane ones that they have no idea what to do with or how to train.

It's like...irony? I'm sure there's a better word.
Haha...I'm pretty sure it's because we know what to look for. Or, we tend to curb the issue right away instead of it festering and becoming a bigger and bigger issue. It's a lot easier to housebreak a dog that has never had the opportunity to pee in the new house, than the one that pees in the new house everyday.