Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Any choice in unjustly generalizing is wrong.

All pit bulls are dangerous monsters. All breeders should be stopped.

When you can "do more", do it, but just because one buys from a breeder or one is a breeder does not negate their contribution to society.

To attempt to demean ones character or remove ones rights because they aren't "just like you" is a horrific action to take.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
basically saying that a rescue dog just could never be as good as a breeder dog.
Yeah I think I've seen this attitude somewhere

Ok so we have dog snobs. I guess rescue dogs are good enough as long as they're for other people. I think that sums it up.

I understand where you guys come from, it just baffles me a little bit that's all. And I really see why so many dogs are in shelters, considering they are not good enough for a lot of people. It's just sad you don't want to see the link.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Fran, where do *I* stand?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
Ok so we have dog snobs. I guess rescue dogs are good enough as long as they're for other people. I think that sums it up.
Yep, that's totally what everyone just said.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

I met an anti breeder person working at the local pet store, all I can say is she was completely crazy and she was not worth my time.

Yes, my next dog is going to be a breeder dog. This dog has been in my plans for the last three years. I also put my plans on hold when we decided to keep Mitsu, My rescue *gasps* dog who died at the age of 10 months because of a heart issue.

Why am I getting from a reputable breeder is because I was a healthy pet. I increase my chances of a healthy dog in body and mind when I go to a breeder I trust and who does all the bells and whistles that makes them a reputable breeder in my mind.

The breed I want, you will NOT find in the shelters here, period.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:

I understand where you guys come from, it just baffles me a little bit that's all. And I really see why so many dogs are in shelters, considering they are not good enough for a lot of people. It's just sad you don't want to see the link.
Holy blood pressure, Batman. *walks away* I'm giving myself a temporary ban from this thread.

You know what's sad? Your attitude.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Chihuahua Power!

None of my dogs are from rescues/shelters... and I own two very popular breeds. I've never regretted my decision. I've fostered dogs and adopted them out. I have nothing against dogs from rescues OR responsible breeders.

Since owning a dog is a HUGE commitment (can be up to 20 years!), it's very much a personal decision when it comes to choosing a dog. I'm of the belief "choose what works best for YOU"- if you adopt a dog that doesn't fit your lifestyle because people made you feel guilty about wanting a breeder dog, YOU'RE the one who has to live with that dog.

And then we get into the argument of "why did you rescue a chihuahua/maltese/poodle/sharpei? Why didn't you rescue a pitbull/lab/insert popular breed here? There are too many of those in shelters!" And then if you rescue a pitbull or lab, you'd still get "why did you rescue a purebred when there are mixed breeds needing homes?"

You really can't win.

I LOVE chihuahuas... but there's a big separation between "well bred" and "poorly bred." The breed standard calls for an apple domed head... go to petfinder.com or any of the (plentiful) BYB websites, and you'll see a very small percentage of chihuahuas missing this prominent feature. Most of them don't even look like chihuahuas.

Responsible breeders shouldn't be punished because lousy breeders are dumping their dogs in shelters, and irresponsible owners are letting their dogs breed all willy nilly.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I understand that some people want that perfect dog that will fit exactly what they're looking for, but truth be told, they *could* be a little bit lenient and get a shelter/rescue puppy instead. It's definitely their choice not to and I respect that, but in that sense, some of the anti-breeders have a point, IMO.
Um, NO.

The ONLY reason I got a second dog was because I needed a service dog. I got Logan from an excellent breeder after a long search to find the perfect candidate. If he hadn't worked out, I would have kept him anyway, but it would also mean that I wouldn't be able to try again to get a service dog until one of my current dogs passed or until I had a place of my own where I could keep 3 large breed dogs. Thus, I had to make sure everything was set for a success. Even then there were no guarantees, but it's all about stacking the deck in your favor. I could have gone through 100 shelter labs and STILL not have a dog suitable to be a service dog. Logan is my first attempt, and he has been successful. If I was "a little bit lenient" would not have ended up with a dog with the perfect combination of drive, temperament, work ethic, intelligence, and size that makes the service dog I needed.

And don't even start on telling me there are service dog programs that use rescues, or that I should have gone through such a program. NO. Yes, some service dog programs use rescues, and they go through a LOT of dogs finding the ones that will actually work. I don't have the ability to house hundred of dogs to find one that will work out. Most service dog programs breed their own dogs, because they are looking for a certain type that is cut out to be a working dog. But anyway, I could not find a program that would train a dog for me and suit my needs and standards (plenty of crappy programs were willing to give me a poorly trained, temperamentally unsound dog for several thousand dollars). I had to train my own because it was the only option at the time. I do hope by the time I need a successor dog I can get a program dog, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The bottom line is, if I didn't find a suitable service dog candidate, I wouldn't have gotten another dog. I wouldn't settle for less.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

But that's certainly not my attitude. :[ I did look at rescues/shelters, and didn't find what I was looking for in a dog.

It's not about being good enough, it's about being the kind of dog I want. My boyfriend's peke mix is a good dog, but he and I clash horribly. We'd be miserable if my boyfriend and I traded dogs. Dogs aren't interchangeable.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:

What?!

I love my breeds because they fit me SO well. It doesn't make me a dog snob. It just means I have a better chance of finding my perfect fit through breeders who know the parents and the puppies inside and out. Again, these are dogs that live with us for up to 20 years. That's a 1/4 of a normal lifespan. I'd prefer to spend that huge chunk of time with my ideal breed.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep