Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

I second the hand touch. It is Bailey's recall cue now that she's deaf and I worked so hard to make it strong that it's seriously... strong. She actually has a sticky chin target, but same concept.

She does the behavior in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDTl...guAUt9sdt4kZEw
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Not much to add...Long line is just about a must have and collar grabs are excellent.

One thing I do whenever possible is when the recall training gets to a level where I'm calling them off fun and play is to reward them simply by sending them back to what they had.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-18-2012, 02:24 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I made a lot of games for Pepper on top of the long line work. We played hide and seek inside and out, whoever found me first, got the piece of cooked hamburger I had ready. Mary and VIctor couldn't beat her to me after she found out the payout of THIS game. Making it fun only adds cementing behavior. By itself it's not enough but it sure doesnt' hurt to add it to your training regime.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

Third the collar grabs

And this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
One thing I do whenever possible is when the recall training gets to a level where I'm calling them off fun and play is to reward them simply by sending them back to what they had.
If the only time you recall Baloo is at the dog park to take him home, yeah, I’d be dodging you too Practice recall, reward, then right back to fun. Rinse and repeat.

I typed up a recall primer somewhere, let me see if I can find it.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Lots of good info here. I'll be starting with a long line... Just have to go buy the equipment.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Periodically put the lead on during free time too.

When Bodhi hit her "teens" she knew when a walk ended and wouldn't come back. I started recalling her randomly and putting her on the lead for a few mins, then letting her off again. Worked a treat.

We're using a whistle to recall Fred. Charged it like you would a clicker. He comes flying!!!

We had taught "come" to, in a similar way to the thread in the puppy forum (2 people, playing a recall game with praise and treats!).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
I made a lot of games for Pepper on top of the long line work. We played hide and seek inside and out, whoever found me first, got the piece of cooked hamburger I had ready. Mary and VIctor couldn't beat her to me after she found out the payout of THIS game. Making it fun only adds cementing behavior. By itself it's not enough but it sure doesnt' hurt to add it to your training regime.
Oh yes, brilliant!!

And even without the hiding, dogs do love a game of chase!! Before I start actual recall training - in fact the first thing I do with a new pup - I run away from them. I get their attention during play time and then I run and when they catch me we have a mini party.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team