Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

Default Boone hurt his leg!

We took him for his first real walk last night, he did fabulousy, and even slacked the lead a few times!
It was about 30 mins, and we were back in the yard. He was happy to be home so he jumped up at me and came down in a weird way I guess. He just crumpled to the ground and started whimpering and making the worst noises I've ever heard.
Thankfully my boyfriend was there too and as I ran for the emergency vets phone number (why do things like this happen after business hours all the time?!), he picked Boone up and brought him indoors.
I was shaking and in tears, and Boone was feeling not much better than me I think. So we put him on the couch (which he usually isn't allowed on but will be from now on) and waited to see what he would do.
My boyfriend started to touch the leg very gently to see if there would be a reaction at all, and there wasn't. So he did it a little more firmly, no reaction. Pressure on the whole leg from the shoulder to the toenail, and no reaction at all! We decided to put him on the floor and he could decide if he wanted to stand. He did, limped around, wouldn't really put pressure on it at all.
I got his bone, and held it for him to chew...which he did for about 25 mins. Then he just got up, walked away and had a drink..barely a limp at all!
If it's back this morning, or seems at all worse we will take him right to the vet.
Is it possible that he just scared himself into acting so hurt? He sure scared me, I couldn't believe how tiny he looked laying in the backyard whimpering.

He was still limping a bit this morning, so he's at the vet right now.
I'll report back how it goes
Old 01-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

Sounds like a drama king hopefully, anyway. Hope he's alright...let us know!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Puppy Dog

The same thing happened to my puppy - she jumped on concrete from my car and landed funny, then she made the most horrifying noises that I had ever heard - broke my heart, poor baby. I took her to the vet, luckily nothing was broken, she limped for almost 4 weeks, but she is now back to her normal bouncy self. I hope your baby is as lucky as she was, with nothing broken, just scared silly and with new rights to the the use of the couch.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

He's back from the vet and it looks like a sprain...no playing for 3-5 days and if it gets worse it's time for x-rays.
We're supposed to get him some baby asprin to help with the pain.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

Good! Not that he's got a sprain, but good that it isn't worse.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

We had the same thing with ours as a puppy, however it was a little more serious. He had an avulsion of the tibial tuberosity. This means that the cartilege that held the tibial tuberosity to the tibia had torn. (The tibial tuberosity is a small bone at the top of the tibia where the acl attaches. In older dogs, the cartilege disappears, and the tuberosity fuses with the tibia.) It had to be surgically re-attached with pins and a tension wire. We then had to crate him all of the time for several weeks. Man, that sucked. The sadest part was when we took him to the emergency vet, he was wimpering in pain, but he would still get up and hobble over to the doctors and nurses on only three legs when ever they came in the room, tail wagging, because he loves people so much. It still brings tears to my eyes when I write about it.

He had shaved patches on his backside and hind leg after the surgery for months.

Fortunately, he healed fine. You would never know. We go to the dog park all of the time, and he runs and plays. He has no limp at all. His joint is probably stonger than it would have been, because the bone simply healed around the pins, which are still in place.

Oh, and in case you are wondering now if this is what happened to your dog, I assure you that you would know right now, no questions asked, that there is something seriously wrong, if this is what had happened. The fact that he has walked on it with relatively no limp definitively indicates your dog did not sustain this type of injury.