Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 AM
Mutts to you

Default A question for/about breeders

Just curious... If someone decides a dog they bought from a breeder isn't 'right' for them, does the breeder reimburse the selling price, or just take the dog back?

The reason I'm asking is I received an email about a family looking to rehome their 20 month old GSD bitch. They said she was too high drive and with 4 kids, they didn't have time for her. Turns out they're selling her and want something close to the price they paid for her ($1600). I just thought it was odd they didn't return her to the breeder - isn't that a usual clause with responsible breeders?

I guess I can see the people wanting to recoup some of the cost of the dog but it makes me wonder if they got her from a reputable person and if she'll wind up with health/soundness issues later in life.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Top Dog

Just going from chatter on a breeders forum here- most breeders don't refund the purchase price in a case like that. They do if the puppy is being returned within a certain amount of time because of medical issues, tho.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Resident fainting goat

I know all responsible breeders WILL take the dog back, but I've never really heard of refunds.
With cases of hereditary problems or something, I've heard of them letting you have a puppy from another litter or refunding purchase price to pay for vet bills, that kind of thing... but it's not really a "doesn't work out, get money back" kind of situation. That would put breeders in a really weird position of having to dish out that much cash every-time a dog didn't work out for no fault of the dog itself.

What you probably have here is a person who A) Didn't buy from a responsible breeder and just wants to rehome B) DID buy from a responsible breeder and is ashamed to tell said breeder and have to return the dog (and not get any money back)
Old 10-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Mutts to you

Oops, made a mistake - GSD is 20 weeks old (email was on my computer at work), not 20 months old.

Thanks, MicksMom.

Don't breeders usually still want their dog back? Just thinking if a buyer signs a contract, aren't they legally bound to return the dog...?

I've only known one person who was a breeder (she bred Olde English Bulldogges) and she'd mentioned taking back a bitch after 3 years because the owners got a divorce and the wife, who wanted to keep the dog, couldn't, because of financial difficulties and living situation. She didn't say anything about money changing hands but I got the impression she was holding the dog until the wife could get back on her feet.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Top Dog

The breeders I have dealt with, and know, usually state in their contract that the dog must be returned to them for ANY reason at ANY time. They have first rights of refusal as well. Money is usually not refunded, but in some cases I've seen breeder return purchase price or part of.

I agree with Fran, either they are not telling the breeder (which would be breaking the contract if it stated so), or they DID tell the breeder and breeder said 'sell her' or they are just outright selling her.

For 1600$ you can buy a nice puppy from a reputable breeder. Unless this dog was trained/titled in something, there's no way I'd spend 1600$ for a 20 month old because they can't handle her.

I'd find out more about the 'breeder specifics'.

Just saw your 20 weeks, omg, she's a freakin puppy, guess they shouldn't own this breed if they can't handle her..Again, I'd find out 'where' this puppy came from
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Top Dog

To me, it depends on the situation. I think with a young pup, there should be a refund as long as the pup is healthy upon return and what not. With an adult dog, it depends. For me, I'd try to work with the owner to find a buyer if the dog could stay with them and it was possible. I did this with Cherry's brother but ended up taking him back when we couldn't find the right person and the owner's time ran out. If I have to take an adult dog back, a refund would depend on if I could find a home willing to pay for the dog. If it's a show/performance quality health tested dog who is well trained, socialized, healthy, etc and I was able to sell them, I would offer at least some money back to the former owner. If I have to take a dog back, keep them here for who knows how long and then give them to the right home or "sell" them for what it costs to spay them , then I wouldn't be inclined to give the former owner a refund. Of course, if I had to refund to keep the dog from a bad situation I would but hopefully, I would not be dealing with buyers like that. This is all pretty much spelled out in my contract too, including working with the owner to find an appropriate home as a possibility.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Blackout

Katalin's breeder accepted a adult return and re-homed him - she didn't refund the price of the dog though. It was just a owner who couldn't handle a really pushy teenage male LGD. In another case a puppy was returned at a fairly young age (15 weeks) after the owners housing situation suddenly took a turn for the worse - I believe she said she refunded that. Or in cases of hereditary health issues - an exchange or refund can be arranged. But indeed, refunds are not commonly heard of.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 AM
and Spy.

I think expecting a refund, especially as the dog gets older, is asking too much of breeders. Like someone else mentioned, unless the dog has been actively shown and trained in something (think sport of work) not many people will pay top dollar for an older puppy. Also the breeder would likely have to support the dog financially and in their home for a while until the right owner pops up, which could take weeks or even months... So I think it is asking a lot to expect a breeder to refund unless the pup was returned almost immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Refund for a change of heart is wrong, imo.

Refund for a health issue is normal.

Return of pup is normal.

I have the right to sell both of my
Malinois but both could go back to their breeders if need be.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Just try me..

Yes refund if something is wrong with the puppy. Health or serious temperament issues sort of thing.

No if its just a meh we don't like it.

Now I do know of one breeder that would tell people if she could sell the young adult she would pass along the money to the previous owners as reimbursement. But if she had to place the puppy for free to get it the right home, then there was no compensation.