Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Not a Border Collie

If she's doing this on the ground it needs to be addressed there, first. Will she lead with slack in the rope? When you ask her to stop, does stop off your body language before she hits the end of the slack, after feeling slack come out of the rope, or does it take her a few steps of pressure on her nose (all slack out of the lead rope) to drag to a halt? Does she back up softly on the ground or do you have to push her back? When she does back, is she taking large, deliberate straight steps backwards or does she drag her feet in the dirt taking little steps more to the side? Will she turn on her haunches when you purposefully walk into her forehand? Will she stand tied quietly by herself for at least a moderate period of time?

I have a strong suspicion that this horse needs a ton more groundwork. You likely won't be able to achieve responsiveness and softness in the saddle if this horse has no idea how to be soft and maintain float in the rope on the ground. I also would suggest getting under saddle basics down in a ring or enclosed area before taking her out on the road - at the very least she needs to move forward willingly with light pressure, soft and able to bend to both sides, stop and back up softly. I 200% agree that you need to see a good trainer. I don't think you have the knowledge or experience to do this alone.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Not a Border Collie

Just saw your new post - great job! Good luck with the trainer

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 10-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
If she's doing this on the ground it needs to be addressed there, first. Will she lead with slack in the rope? When you ask her to stop, does stop off your body language before she hits the end of the slack, after feeling slack come out of the rope, or does it take her a few steps of pressure on her nose (all slack out of the lead rope) to drag to a halt? Does she back up softly on the ground or do you have to push her back? When she does back, is she taking large, deliberate straight steps backwards or does she drag her feet in the dirt taking little steps more to the side? Will she turn on her haunches when you purposefully walk into her forehand? Will she stand tied quietly by herself for at least a moderate period of time?

I have a strong suspicion that this horse needs a ton more groundwork. You likely won't be able to achieve responsiveness and softness in the saddle if this horse has no idea how to be soft and maintain float in the rope on the ground. I also would suggest getting under saddle basics down in a ring or enclosed area before taking her out on the road - at the very least she needs to move forward willingly with light pressure, soft and able to bend to both sides, stop and back up softly. I 200% agree that you need to see a good trainer. I don't think you have the knowledge or experience to do this alone.
I agree. I'm glad you got yourself a good trainer. This should be able to be worked out..... (non-cowboy style.)
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson