Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Puppy Dog

Unhappy HORSE OWNERS! problem riding... need advice

hi everyone as you know i just bought me a thoroughbred almost 2 weeks ago well im having a problem and its quite dangerous i think. OK well she gets out of her corral fine.. and goes onto the trail find but when i try to make her go forward she just doesn't want to! she will literally walk backwards even when im not trying to make her! well any who the stable hand will come and grab the reins and make her walk forward and its fine then when he walks away she trys to turn back to the stall she stays in ( barn sour horse! ) well i can get her going after a bit we will trot down the whooooole trail then we head back and i will make her turn around to go down again and she will not! she will walk backwards and its not to safe its right next to the ditch full of water! and i wouldn't want her to back up and fall in. ive tried kicking her harder and she backs up faster! ive tried whipping her butt not to hard and kicking at the same time and she will not go forward just back.. its becoming quite frustrating! any advice? she also doesn't stop much i will tell her whoaH! and pull back until she stops and as soon as i let the pressure off shes off trotting again. ADVICE PLEASE!!! IDK WHAT TO DO!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Top Dog

It sounds like she needs a better owner who isn't going to beat the hell out of her when she comes up with a training problem.

And then some re-training from the ground up.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

First, let me preface with I know next to nothing about horses....just reading and no hands on or practical experience.

BUT it sounds to me like this horse is confused and needs to relearn things.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 AM
APBT crazy!

Thoroughbreds can be quite stubborn, maybe she needs a more experienced owner with the breed or get someone who knows how to train thoroughbreds to help you train her. Kicking her harder and whipping her just because you get mad isn't the answer. Is this your first horse?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

I don't have a horse, but it would seem to me that responding physically to what sounds to me (a completely horse-unknowledgeable person) like a training issue seems unproductive and like something that will just cause further issue. I am certain some horses are being stubborn, but it would seem to be that by backing up (vs just standing there) the horse is clearly showing fear/uncertainty about going forward on the trail. Has she been ridden on trails before? It can be uncertain terrain for an animal not familiar with it.

Would you smack or kick your dog for not, for example, getting on an elevator? (or another environment that makes them uncomfortable)
Old 10-14-2012, 01:30 AM
APBT crazy!

Yeah, I agree Grab. She could be fearful of going over stuff if she hasn't had to before or had a bad experience. I know I said they can be stubborn, but I do think it has more to do with fear than being stubborn.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
It sounds like she needs a better owner who isn't going to beat the hell out of her when she comes up with a training problem.

And then some re-training from the ground up.
This. She may be fearful or doesn't understand what you are asking of her. Kicking her isn't going to help.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Top Dog

I'll toss out my thoughts as a long-time horse owner/rider/barn manager. And I'll say right off the bat - I fully think that horses *can* be trained positively using the same methods we use on dogs. I also fully think that your average horse can seriously injure or kill you before a dog gets off its feet to bite. I have yet to meet a person who can fully train a horse with what we consider positive methods. I think it is possible - we aren't there. At least I sure as heck am not.

You are right to be worried. A horse refusing to go forward (and backing up is obviously the next step) is the most dangerous behavior you can have undersaddle if allowed to escalate. I'd take a bucker or a bolter any day over that. I had one for years - Tristan was a miserable young horse, and that was his behavior of choice. He's stand in the middle of the ring and essentially say "I dare you". Back up a step or kick out if you tried to up the ante. He learned that, if we were indoors, I couldn't get after him if he was near the mirrors, and would drift to them and lean a hip against them. When my trainer got behind him (not directly, but just in that zone) to try and chase him forward, he would fly backwards kicking at her.

It sucked beyond belief, and did a lot to destroy my confidence. The one thing he never, ever did, thank goodness, was rear. Rearing is the ultimate refusal to go forward, and incredibly dangerous. A horse rearing on its own is one thing. Strap a person trying to adjust their own balance on their back, and they lose their own control and can flip easily.

It was said on the earlier thread about your mare not wanting to go through the gate, and I'll say it here. You *need* to get a professional helping you on a regular basis. This is a very scary situation that is going to escalate if it isn't handled. Nobody, including myself, sitting in front of a computer screen can tell you what is going on. There could be physical or mental issues with the horse, a riding issue with you, a tack issue, or a million other things going on. It isn't fair to you or the mare to try to work through this alone. I obviously have no idea about your riding and training experience, but the best riders I know (and I have friends who have been ranked internationally and long listed for the Olympics) never hesitate to seek help when they run into an issue.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Puppy Dog

FIRST OFF IM NOT KICKING HER OR WHIPPING HER LIKE IM ABUSIVE PEOPLE! and to some people that dont have horses u have to relize u kick the sides to make them go and im not litterally beating her i smack her but lightly with the reins to get her to go so please dont call me a bad owner im asking for advice not to be put down!!!!!! also im not kicking her harder or whipping her because im mad i wouldnt never harm an animal like that so please dont post things like that come on now people!

Thank you bostonbanker for the advice. we finally got thru the problem of going thru the gate took a few times but shes doing it. im more of an intermediate rider. i us to barrel race and ride steer but that was sooo long ago!! so im starting from the beginning again
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Top Dog

Maybe she's scared of something? Did you try to walk down the trail holding her reins? I'm 100% clueless about horses though.