Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

I'm not overly happy or satisfied with how I raised Zander. I was 13 and only knew what I saw on tv (CM). But really all it did was post-pone training for a year or two, because he never took me seriously anyway. Dorkface brat.

After that, it was all an uphill climb.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

I'm actually VERY happy how Teagan turned out. She is pretty much perfect. Before I brought her home I joined Chaz which helped a HUGE amount, and Chaz taught me that I needed to socialize the crap out of Teagan, which i did.

The one thing I wish I did from the beginning was clicker training, which I plan on doing with the next pup.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Ugh.... I was given a dog that worried, was anxious, and lacked confidence. I listened to the wrong people, trusted the wrong advice, and punished her for "human aggression" when she told me that people and things were scary, I just punished her instead of protecting her. I know better NOW, and its been a long road undoing the harm Iv done and it still breaks my heart knowing what I do now, what I did to my beautiful sweet girl. I dont think the damage will ever be undone, but I will do what I can, and never do it to another dog.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Top Dog

No, King's pretty bad on a leash at first, and doesn't listen in general, but I have to feel better that more than one professional, well regarded trainer wasn't a lot more successful than I was at getting him to cooperate with him, they get as frustrated as I did with him. About the only things he does is come, most of the time, and sit, again, most of the time. Staying? Well, that's a joke. Molly listens very well, and is very well behaved, but King truly is "The evil genius". I've never had a dog nearly as smart as he is, only my old Beagle was close to being as dominant as he is, and one that truly is kind of catlike in his "I'm done with you now!" attitude. He just shuts down if anything rough is done to him, just yelling at him makes him flop around like a corpse, and gives you a dirty look, and before he developed Cushing's, he wouldn't even do anything for food, most of the time. If he got bored with training, and he got bored almost instantly, he would try to bail out, and leave. If he was restrained, he went into, "I'm dying" mode, and would just lay there and refuse to move. Toys don't interest him, except to keep away from Molly or one of his friends, and most of them are gone now, and he's really too frail at almost 14, to be allowed to just wander around with his younger buds, who outweigh him by 100% or more (one "Lab" is 140 and not fat! He appears to just be a giant Lab, not a mix), and are pretty rough, being younger Labs and Coonhounds. He got knocked down by one of the Coonhounds last week, and he didn't get hurt, but he was pretty cautious and stiffened up whenever one of them got close to him the rest of the time they spent together. Next time I will probably get a rescue dog or dogs and I would imagine they won't be anywhere near as independent thinking as King turned out to be.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

I'm satisfied that I did all the right things with Gambit. In the end, it really didn't make much noticable difference in him, but I think that Gambit, due to his coyness, feral start, and lack of socializing at the shelter, simply has a limit to what he can ever socially be. So we're going for happy rather then perfect.

I'm pretty satisfied with how I raise the puppies. Right at the moment, I'm regretting teaching Popple to ring the bell for potty, since hes in the stage of ringing it every five minutes, but he'll figure that one out.

It kind of makes me sad that that I raise all the foster puppies right, and then they leave, but such is the life of the foster Mom, I guess.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

Happy with Todd and Lucy. Katy, not at all. I realise now I rushed into getting her after losing Maddy. I wasn't ready for a 'damaged' dog, and she still has street dog habits now. I wasn't firm enough with her, and she totally walks all over me now.

I do regret that. But she's still a lovely friendly dog, even if I have no control over her. Things are getting better now. It made me realise though, I really don't like puppies. I hate that I made her what she is today. I work better with adult dogs.

My Photos
Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

Happy with Todd and Lucy. Katy, not at all. I realise now I rushed into getting her after losing Maddy. I wasn't ready for a 'damaged' dog, and she still has street dog habits now. I wasn't firm enough with her, and she totally walks all over me now.

I do regret that. But she's still a lovely friendly dog, even if I have no control over her. Things are getting better now. It made me realise though, I really don't like puppies. I hate that I made her what she is today. I work better with adult dogs.

My Photos