Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 AM
swimming upstream

Traveler is the only one of my crew that we raised from a puppy. I think we really did a decent job--entered into it with lots of research before even deciding on what breed of dog (she was to be a family pet--my kids were very young at the time, but one son was begging for a dog).
We did multiple training classes with a well known breeder of Labs in this area--so much good advice and knowledge based on the individual dogs in the classes--and the owners skills. My boys were a part of the training classes, since I wanted consistency and they were to be involved/responsible for part of her care. We used positive training strategies...she did have lots of "lab energy"--so we worked with her with retrieving, swimming, hiking--no real "sports' but lots of family activity. She was one fabulous dog--and if I could have another like her I'd do it in a heartbeat. I miss that girl.

My hound brothers--they are a different story! Both adults when I got them--but Baxter we did quite well with training, and Traveler was a positive influence on him. So overall, yes--content with his training.
Wilson....oh man, Wilson...he is the dog who has really challenged my thinking. It took a bit to "get" what his vocalizations mean, and then be able to respond appropriately to him. My boys are older now--and Wilson is the opposite of Traveler in his management/training needs. Where you could rile Trav up and she would still be able to calm down easily--Wilson gets charged and then doesn't know what to do with himself. It's a fine line of play to "defense" for him--especially with men. So he is a work in progress, as I remind my adult children to approach him and respond to him in certain ways to get the behavior they are seeking. He is also a dog who once you loose his trust, it takes quite some time for him to come back around to trusting you. Fine line.
That was lengthy--answer--3 dogs, yes, yes, somewhat.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Big Dog

I guess I would consider my first dogs Zeus (Dobe) and Pongo (JRT mix) got them around the same time. I was 14 when I got Pongo (5 weeks old) and Zeus was born 2 days after my 15th birthday. I delivered him. First person to hold him, last person to hold him. He was my boy to the end.

Both were super easy to train. Zeus did more than Pongo being a superstar Dobe. He knew all sorts of commands and loved to show off. Both were super social with other dogs, people, horses, cows, goats, whatever. I could take both anywhere and expect good behavior. Zeus did therapy work and everyone who met him just fell in love with him. I remember one Christmas through my work, we sponsored the Santa for the downtown event and took the pictures of kids w/ Santa. Zeus dressed up like a Reindeer and ended up with more pics than Santa.

Pongo has always been a perfect boy too. He has always been perfect with off leash obedience and has never needed a leash anywhere. He will heel like he is an extension of my leg. I turn, he turns. He never learned a lot fancy tricks, but he was a ratter and favorite command was "Go find Mickey" (Mickey Mouse).

Zeus only made it 11 yrs, but Pongo is still going at 15.

The perfect boys

Old 10-14-2012, 12:16 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm actually really proud of how Chloe turned out. The things that are problems for her (aggression/low threshold, anxiety) is just how she is wired, unfortunately. But she is a good dog otherwise, and that was what I was aiming for.

The one thing I am not happy about is that she isn't off leash reliable and her recall sucks. I wish I had done that differently and started her off leash as a young pup, but oh well. 'Tis okay.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

I wanted to say though despite what I did wrong, which was not work on leash skills Yoshi is perfect and everything is my fault XD

I did want to mention Lady though. Lady was my dog I got from one of my friends at about 1/2 years old. My friends older brother would get trashed and beat her. She was afraid of men, strangers, loud sounds, storms, water. Pretty much anything you could carry she did NOT want you to carry any thing around her. Her and I got close really quick and I was the only one she would come to for a LONG time. She finally got use to my dad, who was the only guy she'd willingly run up to.

I thank God that Lady was the first dog I had. There were times I would be so frustrated with her I wouldn't even know how to handle myself. But she was so trusting with me I had to hold back and act happy for her. She taught me there is ALWAYS another way to train a dog that doesn't require hitting. I think that helped me an insane amount with Yoshi. Lady taught me patience.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:44 PM
On second thought...

I'm most disappointed in how I raised Duncan. Physically I think I pushed him too hard when he was a puppy (and he turned our to be a tall, 90lb dog). I wish I had socialized him more and spent more one on one time with him. He's more bonded to Cameron than he is to me.

Yes, I would have done things differently with Duncan. He's still a great dog, and he's still my boy, but I wonder how he would have turned out if he'd been raised in a house where he was the only dog.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

Honestly I'm pretty happy overall. I wish I'd gotten into clicker training sooner because I went back basically redid everything with Lily and we've got a few things we're always working on (like Lily's crooked fronts! lol), but overall they are both just awesome girls.

Its not like how I started with Lily was Caesar style or anything either... It was mostly treat training with a little prong collar work. I just didn't know anything about the mechanics of marker training, luring, shaping, capturing, fading, variable rewards, etc., so its really helped me as a trainer to learn more about the actual mechanics of training.

I was the only person who ever did any "training" with the Border Collie named Buddy we got when I was like 9. Again, only used treats lol and he learned some awesome tricks like shake, sitting in a lawn chair. and he'd run up the slide and hang with me in the jungle gym. He had kick butt recall to me whistling too. He put up with me directing him over homemade jumps too. I didn't have to leash him or bribe him, we just ran together and I pointed him over them. He never could walk on a leash (he would choke himself out and not care... not like he needed leashed anyway, we lived next to BLM in the forest.), but dang he was awesome.

I trained my friend's Lab/RR mix boy. He was like 5 or 6 when we lived together. I'd love to do some clicker stuff with him now that I know about that. He's easy though, such a good boy for me. He only knew sit before me lol.

And I trained the 6mo old RR pup she adopted (who jumped ship to her mom, little butthead lol)... she didn't do anything with him the first two weeks he was home and I had him doing all kinds stuff like loose leash walking, down, sit, learning sit-stay, etc. Yeah after the first time she walked him he suddenly had all kinds of problem behaviors and I had to use the prong with him. Also neither her or her mom ever used any of the behaviors on his repertoire and acted surprised when I told them he knew down stay for the fiftieth time. Like are ya deaf people?? I had him to where he was perfect doing ob on a flat collar or off leash for me. None of it ever gets used, he's basically just either in his crate or in the backyard. He's so smart, he'd be an awesome agility/lurecoursing/schutz/ob dog... shame his little brain isn't getting worked.

Long story short? Dogs are easy, its their owners that are hard to train!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Dogs are easy...

Until you have one that isn't easy.

;P
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Dogs are easy...

Until you have one that isn't easy.

;P
True, lets not jinx myself.

*cough* Lemur boy? *cough, cough*
Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

All in all, yes, I am satisfied with how I've raised my dogs. I've definitely made mistakes with each and every one, and probably will with any new dog I have for many years to come, as each dog brings a new learning curve. But that doesn't mean I'm disappointed in how I raised any of them. The only thing I do regret is that I wish I'd approached Dance's aversion to strangers a lot differently when she was still a puppy, as I think we might have made more progress if I had, but I did what I thought was best based on advice I'd received at the time. But I can honestly say that I feel all of my dogs are fantastic in pretty much all the ways that really and truly matter. They might slip up here and there with an off day, but 99% of the time they are extremely well mannered and well behaved and listen really well. They are all wonderful. I love how the dogs they've all grown into and become as adults. :-)

ETA: I am not satisfied in the way I raised the first dog I called my own. But I was only 13 and didn't know as much as I do now. There are lots of things I'd have done differently with her. But she still turned out to be a good dog and I learned a lot from her as far as what to do and what not to do with future dogs.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM

Last edited by Toller_08; 10-14-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Show Dog

Yes, Snow White have grown into an obedient and well-trained dog and it makes me a proud owner.