Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

Default Are you satified with how you raised your dog?

Eeep, looking back on the past year and a half with Kailey is so depressing. I sometimes feel like I completely failed.
Don't get me wrong, she's an amazing dog and I wouldn't change her for the world, but there's just so much I could have done better.
For example, I really charged ahead of foundation, both with agility stuff and plain old manner/obedience. She wasn't always ready for what I was throwing at her, and I was too blind to see the signs. I should've been working with recalls and drive before pushing the "sexy stuff", as Susan Garrett calls it. Instead of doing wraps around trees at the park, we should've been building drive and been doing circle work. Instead of teaching her a dozen new tricks each week, we should've simply been forming a stronger bond. I know tricks help build bonds, but not when you only focus on the results and not your dog.
As it is, Kailey's doing pretty well. We get lots of compliments at the places we train, though, to be fair, she's been doing agility-type stuff for nearly a year now. I just wasn't doing it right.
It's just frustrating because we could be so much better along at this point. She's developed a few bad habits that, thinking about it now, I definitely contributed to and could've prevented.
Ah, well, I guess that's just how you learn. And I honestly feel like I learned a ton through doing everything wrong first. Thankfully, pupster has remained loyal and loving the whole way through.

Anyway, do you feel satisfied with the way you raised your first dog? Were you smart enough to research and seek help, or did you just lunge on in to it like I did?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia's my first puppy as an adult that was mine to raise. Summer came to me already pretty good.

As a pet, I raised Mia pretty darn good for her temperament, I think. Sports? I was hoping to be a lot further than we are. But at any rate, I'm overall happy with her. She's a good little dog with great manners and a good focus on me. I get a lot of compliments on my two out and about.

Nextdog I will have some more tricks up my sleeve but I'm sure that dog will throw me some loops too. I try to remember it's all about the journey.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:50 PM
<--------Orson

Yes and no.

There are many things I did right, and there are many things I feel I could have done better. Same with the last dog and the one before that. Live and learn, I'll correct many of the 'mistakes' I made with the next dog.........and I know I'll make a bucket of new ones *shrugs* it's an endless cycle because I'm always learning and I hope that never changes
Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Let it be

There are so many things I could've done better. I've made a lot of mistakes BUT I have always searched to learn so I can be better for him. I needed to be. He was so shut down. I think there are a million things I could do even still but for the most part him and I are both happy and content. I'm not seeking to fix things that aren't broken.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 PM
orange iguanas.

Yes! Much to my surprise, Juno turned out wonderfully fabulous. We had a lot of rough, frustrating patches which is why I'm surprised that it all turned out okay. Is she perfect? Heck no. But what dog is.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Yoshi was my first dog that was just mine. She is the first inside only dog I have.

I'm pretty proud we got house training down in about a month. She knows basics like sit, lay down, stop, drop it along with more difficult things. She's AMAZING off leash. Always comes back and stays within seeing distance.

The ONLY thing I wish I had done different was work on leash manners. We are working on it now but when I first got her it wasn't something I was too worried with.

I'd say I'm really satisfied with how I've raised Yoshi and with my next dog I know a couple thinks I'd tweak but all in all I'll probably try to stay as close to this as I can.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

It's kind of the opposite with me and Payton. I feel like I spent so much time putting in foundation work and building up a relationship, and a training/working relationship between us, and just ENJOYING my puppy, that I neglected some of the other things that I probably should have been doing. There's a huge list of stuff SG trains her puppies on at particular times and even now I have done very little of them with P. I had big plans. It didn't turn out that way.
I don't exactly regret it, but I sometimes feel kinda panicky, LOL. Like "Oh God, we need to be doing this and this and this!!" And... we're not.
Ugh.

I don't have any complaints about Auggie because he's perfect LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't do everything completely right.

As far as remembering to enjoy the journey, I definitely need to focus more on the moment at hand. Acknowledge the mistakes I made in the past, but focus on working with the current moment and not rushing to the future. That's what got me in trouble in the first place.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM
such sights to show you

Well Squash is the only one I have raised from a puppy, and for the most part, yes. Did I do everything perfectly? No. Am I happy with the dog he has become, and with our relationship? Oh heck yes.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Top Dog

Every dog is a learning experience. Especially when dog sports are part of the picture, there will always be things you could have done better.

No I'm not 100% satisfied with how I raised any of mine, but all my dogs have been awesome, so I couldn't have messed up too badly.

The most important thing to remember, I think, is that we and our dogs are all individuals. So you can't look at what someone else did with their dogs in a certain period of time, and feel like you've failed because you didn't accomplish the same. Maybe that wasn't right for your dog, maybe it wasn't right for you. Maybe you just didn't have the same amount of time to put into it that they did. Just enjoy the dog you have, and the next one will be a whole new learning experience.