Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Default Flea & Tick prevention

Okay, the count down is about 2 weeks (I think). Until I head to Oregon with the muttley crew. I am, however, still a bit lost about what is the best option for poisoning my dogs and making them undesirable to bugs.

Tips?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Water Junkie

We've had great success with K9 Advantix.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Well, you probably don't really have to worry about ticks, just fleas, and you can probably wait until they happen before you start treating.

What has been working best for me lately is the Target version of Frontline, I think they call it "Pet Armor" or something like that. It's cheaper than name-brand Frontline, but I've also found it more effective. Go figure.

I haven't had to use it much lately. I put some on once last summer, think I saw a flea. They got a little itchy early this summer, and I put some on, but I'm not sure there actually were any fleas. Anyway, I don't expect to need it again until next summer, maybe.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Well, you probably don't really have to worry about ticks, just fleas, and you can probably wait until they happen before you start treating.

What has been working best for me lately is the Target version of Frontline, I think they call it "Pet Armor" or something like that. It's cheaper than name-brand Frontline, but I've also found it more effective. Go figure.

I haven't had to use it much lately. I put some on once last summer, think I saw a flea. They got a little itchy early this summer, and I put some on, but I'm not sure there actually were any fleas. Anyway, I don't expect to need it again until next summer, maybe.
My mom used to do this when we were growing up, she'd just apply it once a year or so when we found a few fleas but elsewise we didn't use it, I think.

I appreciate the tips!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

I found a spray at a pet specialty store that is peppermint and clove that I spray Yoshi down with before and after we go out. It says it repels bugs. I'm convinced it just burns them to death XD But no problems since I started using it and she usually gets three or four ticks a year and there have been none so far for about two years.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

We either use K9 Advantix or Vectra 3D, none of the others seem to work. I usually use it once a summer and they are good, except for this year the cat methinks brought the fleas in.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Big Dog

I was using K9Advantix II, but it wasn't keeping the ticks off when we go hiking. So now we are using Comfortis for fleas and Preventic Collars for ticks. Works well for us living in FL with year round fleas/ticks. Plus the news said the other day, ticks were going to stay bad through the fall and winter too. Worse year we've had in a while b/c before I never saw a tick just using the K9 Advantix, now the white dogs come out of the brush looking like Dalmatians (until I started using the Preventic collars).
Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

I use Frontline every 3 months in the warmer months and Trifexis monthly in the winter.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 PM
overdogged

I use Certifect if I'm hiking a lot with Steve because it works better on ticks than straight Frontline. I don't generally use anything for fleas unless I see some, but this year I've had to treat everybody with Frontline (cats and dogs) because we did get fleas.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I use Frontline every 3 months in the warmer months and Trifexis monthly in the winter.
This is pretty much what I've gone to as well. Can't get Interceptor anymore anyway though, so it will probably just be Trifexis year round from here on out and the Frontline will really be for ticks, which like to lurk around just about everywhere we go for outdoor agility. =P

I also use this outdoor formula:
http://www.paldog.com/sprays_balms.htm
If I remember to spray that before we go on hikes, we don't have tick issues. Fleas are apparently not offended by it though. =/ Luckily the fleas the boys brought back a few months ago seem to have all been killed by the Frontline, because I haven't found any either dead or alive and the boys have no flea dirt. Still pretty gross to have them bring fleas in though... ugh.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog