Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Big Dog

I know this depends on the area where you live, but we have a free veterinary close to my area where people with little to no income go. Maybe they are not over the top technology advanced, but still, they are a great vet clinic, completely funded by donations. I don't think poor families should be denied a dog just because they can't offer their dog paid vet care. I do think they have to be able to get him food, and even then, there a free or very cheap pet food banks in almost every county.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post

Plus, people in the "dog world" seem REALLY fond of rushing to the vet. Dog gets a tick? Better vet it for blood work. Hot spot? Better get to a vet. He vomited more than twice? He better see a vet. So yeah, if someone's dog gets hit by a car and breaks it's leg and they "don't have money for a vet" I'll be pretty pissed unless they're getting rid of cable and internet to get to a vet. If the dog has a hot spot they can treat at home or is limping slightly after hard exercise but fine otherwise, I'm not judging anyone for not selling their car and tv and soul to pay for vet care.
I'm not going to say something if they get a tick/fleas/hot spot and they fix it themselves. Heck if I took Yoshi in every time she decided to drink water too fast and throw up I'd be bankrupt.

I also probably wouldn't say much if the dog got injured and they opted to put the dog down because they couldn't pay the emergency expenses.

If their dog got hurt/sick and it definitely needed vet care and the person came on here complained about it and said they didn't have the money then went and bought a car/tv/cell phone/camera yeah I'd say something.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I agree with the idea that it applies mostly to people getting NEW pets. We are going through VERY hard times right now. If I didn't have a job (which I do) my parents would NOT be able to afford even a $50 or $100 vet bill right now. It's not always that way, but my family is going through some real financial difficulty. But if in this situation I didn't have a job, I would do whatever I could to get the money to help my dog. Selling things, borrowing money/getting a loan, etc. However I do have a job and would put up the money if something happened. I also am in the process of putting money away for any medical emergencies for the dogs. You just do what you have to do. If someone had to opt for rehome/euthanasia if they couldn't afford treatment for their pet, I would understand that and sympathize with someone like that. Always having money is an ideal, not a reality. If it is for you, then its a blessing and it is not the norm. Everyone has hard times. It doesn't make them irresponsible or bad people.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Let it be

I can afford some vet treatment but not others. I would not add to my current pets because of this but I'm not about to rehome my dog over it either. Lucky for me I could use a famiyl friend if I really needed to to pay for something expensive but I'd be more likely to put Bandit down if they weren't telling me the success rate would be high. Sounds terrible... but it is what it is. I love him dearly. He is priceless to me. But I wouldn't borrow 5 grand to save his life if he wasn't almost for sure going to live.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Plus, people in the "dog world" seem REALLY fond of rushing to the vet. Dog gets a tick? Better vet it for blood work. Hot spot? Better get to a vet. He vomited more than twice? He better see a vet.
On the other side of things, of course, there are people like me who work in veterinary hospitals and bang their heads against the no money issue just about every day. Blocked cat, no money. Broken leg, no money. Pyometra, no money. Hit by car, no money. Flat-out from flea-bite anemia and no money. Pets who are suffering horrendously because the owner doesn't have the money for appropriate vet care.

Do I think you need to be able to afford a $5000 bloat surgery in order to own a dog? No, but I do think there needs to be enough money in the bank for an office visit with the emergency vet and euthanasia/cremation.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

Also, admittedly, it was a very stupid time in my life for me to add a dog. If I had come on here and asked opinions, everyone most likely would have told me to have waited. And really, yeah, that probably would have been the smartest thing to do. 18, just graduated high school, still living at home, no 'real' job. I paid $550 for Jackson from a BYB in Baltimore and asked my grandpa for $200 of it as an early Christmas present... yeah, horrible timing for a dog and anyone would have told me I was stupid! But hey, it worked out. Having him and falling so much in love with him, and realizing the immediate bond you get, and suddenly you have responsibility... I spent all of my Christmas money on him, I've only once asked for help on a very expensive vet bill, everything else I have ALWAYS taken care of. Yup, a lot of things unexpected and things I just did because I had to ... I managed. He's always gotten superb care (including a $1300 visit to the dentist when I could've gone the cheap route and had it pulled for less than $200, but probably would have caused more issues so wanted to give him the best) and as most of you know on here, he's a very well loved and taken care of dog.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
On the other side of things, of course, there are people like me who work in veterinary hospitals and bang their heads against the no money issue just about every day. Blocked cat, no money. Broken leg, no money. Pyometra, no money. Hit by car, no money. Flat-out from flea-bite anemia and no money. Pets who are suffering horrendously because the owner doesn't have the money for appropriate vet care.

Do I think you need to be able to afford a $5000 bloat surgery in order to own a dog? No, but I do think there needs to be enough money in the bank for an office visit with the emergency vet and euthanasia/cremation.
I can imagine being on the vet side of things you see/hear some horrible things, so I definitely can't relate to that, but I'm sure I'd be banging my head against a wall too.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

I'm so on the fence about this topic,,I think everyone who loves animals should be able to know the love of a dog and every dog deserves a good home.

I think any animal deserves food/shelter/good health care and not made to suffer for any reason.

Times can be tough, and I think alot of people go out and get that cute puppy with no thought to the future, especially 'emergencies' I don't know if they don't think about it, think it won't happen to their pet, or what.

I'm not a rich person by any means, I've had some ER's, I've had some HUGE vet bills, thank god my vet takes payments if I have to go that route. I will never PTS any of my animals because I can't afford a vet visit, I'll beg, borrow or sell something if I have to.
I'll never deny my animals a vet visit because I may be low on cash.

It's my responsibility as a pet owner... It's not for me to say 'you shouldn't have an animal if you can't pay for it' altho I'd probably like to at times I know a couple of hoarders

So for me anyway, it's not a black or white answer
Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Big Dog

I know many people who are on harder times that have pets but technically can't afford vet care on a regular basis, but if their dog needs vet care they find a way to come up with the funds by sacrificing other things in their lives.

The one thing I find appalling is when someone gets a pet, knowing that they can't afford basic vet care, then do nothing when their pet needs to be seen by a vet.

My boyfriends parents are like this. They got a dog (for free) after nearly being evicted from their appartment for not being able to pay their rent (they needed my boyfriend to move back in to help with basic expenses). They constantly come up with excuses as to why the dog doesn't need to be seen by a vet. The dog gets in a fight and has a HUGE gaping hole in it's neck -- it'll heal on it's own. The dog has a raging ear infection -- oh, it's just the weather. Heaven forbid that they should give up or cut down on their smoking to save a little money for their dogs care.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I can afford some vet treatment but not others. I would not add to my current pets because of this but I'm not about to rehome my dog over it either. Lucky for me I could use a famiyl friend if I really needed to to pay for something expensive but I'd be more likely to put Bandit down if they weren't telling me the success rate would be high. Sounds terrible... but it is what it is. I love him dearly. He is priceless to me. But I wouldn't borrow 5 grand to save his life if he wasn't almost for sure going to live.
I'm right with you... Some things are just crazy expensive and I wouldn't spend a ton of money for something that might not work either.

And no, people shouldn't get a pet if they can't afford $150 a year for vet care. But I'd rather see a dog adopted by someone who can't afford a $5000 surgery to fix its leg than to see the dog get PTS... because really, how likely is the dog to actually break a leg or need an expensive surgery?