Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
Depends where you live. If you live on a farm i doubt i would vaccinate my dog unless i knew another was coming to the farm and do it in advance.

In the uk we have the pdsa, which helps pay for your vets bills if your low income. Is there something similar in usa?

So minor injurys/surgery would be possible

but anything major i think would have to PTS. But that also goes for myself. If i broke my leg with no funds. I would keep that broken leg
I'm sorry, that's ridiculous.

You break your leg and do nothing about it? That's OK, you're the idiot making that choice. The dog breaks it leg? Take it to a vet or surrender it to somebody who will -- the dog doesn't get to be that idiot making that choice to keep it.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I think some people get downright illogical about this topic. In an area like where I live, where a normal dog is easily homed, I can see why one might think dogs should only go to homes that can afford the vet. But in places where shelters kill dogs, PUPPIES even, en masse? If you live in one of these areas, I don't care if you don't have a dime to your name, if you want a dog to feed and love and are prepared to make hard decisions should the pup get sick, I think you should go ahead and get one.
If they don't have a dime to their name why would I allow them to adopt a dog? Would they take it to the vet and get it's shots? If they don't have a dime would they even be able to afford the adoption fee? If not should we give them the dog for free because they'll love it?

If they don't have a dime to their name how are THEY eating? How will the dog eat?

I get having emergencies pop up and running into issues paying for things. But to put a dog INTO that situation is just negligent on the part of the person adopting the dog out.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:58 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I have backup or my animals would not be here. It doesnt' mean God forbid that if something ranking a thousand or more should happen that I could ask for that kind of help, but for basic care we are covered which I think is rational. If you can't afford basic care, you should not have a pet.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
If they don't have a dime to their name why would I allow them to adopt a dog? Would they take it to the vet and get it's shots? If they don't have a dime would they even be able to afford the adoption fee? If not should we give them the dog for free because they'll love it?

If they don't have a dime to their name how are THEY eating? How will the dog eat?

I get having emergencies pop up and running into issues paying for things. But to put a dog INTO that situation is just negligent on the part of the person adopting the dog out.
Why? Well in the circumstances I just outlined you'd adopt a dog to them so it wouldn't be put down or I suppose so you could walk right down to the shelter and get another that is about to be put down. Would they take it to the vet for its shots, no. Would they pay an adoption fee, probably not? Usually in those areas dogs can be found for free so I can't see my hypothetical person paying an adoption fee. Whether or not you want to give dogs away for free depends on how you operate, are you trying to spare as many dogs as possible or are you trying to take a select few and get them into an ideal home?

I suppose I should clarify, that if they cannot afford to eat or feed the dog, i.e. if they get a dog it is just going to starve to death, then no they shouldn't get it, they should leave it to be PTS.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Why? Well in the circumstances I just outlined you'd adopt a dog to them so it wouldn't be put down or I suppose so you could walk right down to the shelter and get another that is about to be put down. Would they take it to the vet for its shots, no. Would they pay an adoption fee, probably not? Usually in those areas dogs can be found for free so I can't see my hypothetical person paying an adoption fee. Whether or not you want to give dogs away for free depends on how you operate, are you trying to spare as many dogs as possible or are you trying to take a select few and get them into an ideal home?

I suppose I should clarify, that if they cannot afford to eat or feed the dog, i.e. if they get a dog it is just going to starve to death, then no they shouldn't get it, they should leave it to be PTS.
Ok so in your opinion there shouldn't be an adoption fee and anyone who comes in should get an animal?

I love having a dog. But you have to have SOME sort of financial stability before taking on that responsibility. And while saving a dog sounds good on paper. Sometimes getting 'any' home isn't better than being PTS.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ok so in your opinion there shouldn't be an adoption fee and anyone who comes in should get an animal?

I love having a dog. But you have to have SOME sort of financial stability before taking on that responsibility. And while saving a dog sounds good on paper. Sometimes getting 'any' home isn't better than being PTS.
I don't really have an opinion on whether some organization should charge an adoption fee or not.

You're totally right when you say "any" home isn't better than being PTS. I would rather a dog be PTS then starve to death, then linger with some rancid injury that isn't going to mend etc.

Would you rather a dog be killed by AC today for lack of space then go into a home where it will live happily for months or years?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Would you rather a dog be killed by AC today for lack of space then go into a home where it will live happily for months or years?
I'd rather a dog to to a dog where it will live happily of course. But if a person can't afford themselves then no I would absolutely not adopt out to them. Does it sound heartless? It maybe. But I'd rather put the dog down than see it back in three months later nearly starved to death because the person learned that love alone won't sustain a healthy dog.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'd rather a dog to to a dog where it will live happily of course. But if a person can't afford themselves then no I would absolutely not adopt out to them. Does it sound heartless? It maybe. But I'd rather put the dog down than see it back in three months later nearly starved to death because the person learned that love alone won't sustain a healthy dog.
In my original post I do say "feed and love." If you can't figure out how to nourish an animal then I totally agree, you might as well leave it to be put down where it is.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Sit! Good dog.

It's one things not having money and not even trying to save something for a rainy day.

I think if you just get a pet without any thought of HOW you'll manage if something happens, then you shouldn't get a pet.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Top Dog

Maybe it's a bit different for me...it is not AT ALL uncommon here to see homeless people with pets (I'd even go so far to say that 50% of them might have pets with them)...people who are shivering in the street and have their sweatshirt wrapped around their dog, who will give their dog half or more of any food people give to them, who spend the change they collect on cans of dog food. Some homeless people have more than one dog with them, some have cats on leashes or in cages on the streets.

But they're euthanizing hundreds of dogs each week...so what the hell are they going to do with their pets? Send them to ACC to be terrified, get kennel cough and have their skin rubbed off by the cement cage, to be put down a week later? A private rescue taking you dog isn't going to happen here unless it's a 6 lb toy dog or some fairly uncommon purebred.

Plus, people in the "dog world" seem REALLY fond of rushing to the vet. Dog gets a tick? Better vet it for blood work. Hot spot? Better get to a vet. He vomited more than twice? He better see a vet. So yeah, if someone's dog gets hit by a car and breaks it's leg and they "don't have money for a vet" I'll be pretty pissed unless they're getting rid of cable and internet to get to a vet. If the dog has a hot spot they can treat at home or is limping slightly after hard exercise but fine otherwise, I'm not judging anyone for not selling their car and tv and soul to pay for vet care.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com