Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Default Safety hiking tips, plus ticks/snakes!

So, it's spring here now, soon to be Summer. I go hiking often with ether one or both dogs, I normally just take long leads, water and snacks. I will driving soon and I will be finding proper hiking trails, hiking longer and thought maybe I should pack some extra stuff.

Can anyone suggest what I should bring?

What do you take while hiking?

Is it a good idea to wear hiking boots?

My dogs have never had a tick but now I'm paranoid they may get one. I've seen a lot of friends dogs getting them. If I was out hiking and found a tick, can I pull it out myself or should I take my dog straight to the vet?

Also, we have quite a dangerous, poisones snake here where I live, brown snakes. They are quite common here. Can anyone recommend what I should bring to possibly keep them away or if god forbid one of the dogs or I get bitten while hiking, what's good to have on hand in this type of situation?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Top Dog

Get your dogs on some sort of flea and tick medication (if they aren't already) like frontline or advantix. That will greatly lesson the chances of them getting ticks. Once home, check them over for ticks. If you DO find ticks on them, DO NOT waste money on taking them to a vet! Removing ticks is very easy, but should be done with care (don't want to leave the head in their skin). You can do it with tweezers, but there are other things they sell in stores like tick twists that help you pull them off without breaking off the head.

Other than that, I just make sure I bring a small bowl for water and some mace.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb