Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Can you email a resignation letter...

I'm in a weird position.

So this job is just like, 75% a wrong fit for me. I feel bad but I have to leave it.

My dilemma is that... I know nothing about the program supervisor. I met her during my interview I think, but that was it. I have her email address. Have no clue where her office is or if she has one etc. I am assuming she is the one I would give my notice to but apparently starting tomorrow, she will be out of town. Just my luck. Don't know when she'll be back but I want to get this over with asap.

The only person I actually work WITH is the preschool teacher. If I am leaving that would be good information for her to know, but she is technically not my "boss" so there's not really anything she can do with that information. She's not the one that's going to hire someone else.

What do I doooo? I am thinking I should email the supervisor with my resignation, and let the teacher know as well? So the info is available to the supervisor in case she were to check her email wherever she is, but then the teacher is also aware and maybe knows of another person I could/should notify...

Blahhh hate quitting jobs and am no good at it.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Dafuq?

Find another job first? Then you just *have* to quit, right?

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM
orange iguanas.

Oh trust me, getting another job is not the issue. Just don't know how to quit when the boss isn't around for me to quit to. =/

Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Big Dog

I would do it in person, it looks more professional IMHO, even if you didn't like the job, they offered you one and out of respect I would do it in person. Plus you never know when you might need them again... It's always good to end in good terms.

ETA - In that case I would call him and ask to speak in person, don't tell him why, just tell him is urgent. If he refuses, then I would do it over the phone... But e-mail is too impersonal IMO.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

Wish I had a job to struggle internally about quitting. ):

Good luck, either way.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Top Dog

I have emailed a resignation before. Probably not the best way to go about it, but I was in a very similar position to you - the actual boss was out of town, and I had no other way of contacting her.

So, with this situation, I would probably email and let anyone you work with know, too. Ideally you would wait until the boss gets back and do it in person, or at least over the phone, but if you really can't wait that long, then do it the other way. Maybe the teacher you work with has some ideas?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Resident fainting goat

I would email to the boss but speak to SOMEONE (whoever is next in command) in person, as well as your co-workers.
I certainly wouldn't do it 100% electronically.. get as close to face to face as you can, explain the situation, be gracious.

It's like a break up lol you don't want to end on bad terms..
Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Personally, I would talk to her in person or on the phone. I mean, she can't be out of the office for weeks on end, right? If she's out for a week or two, I would personally toughen it out (unless you're in a predicament with another job).

These days, when there are a hundred plus qualified people fighting for the same job, references are EVERYTHING and one that praises you to high heaven might just give you the edge needed.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
These days, when there are a hundred plus qualified people fighting for the same job, references are EVERYTHING and one that praises you to high heaven might just give you the edge needed.
I'm not even going to put them on my resume. Haven't been there long enough so I'm not worried about it.

But thanks for the advice... I'll just start with the teacher I guess and see if she has an idea for what I should do.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Owned by Belgians

Tell the preschool teacher, email your boss, contact human resources and let them know that you are contacting them because your boss is out of town.